Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictommy

Thanks Smurfy, I'll await the response from your mate. So then you can post speculation or will that be a more valid post because your mate told you. #mindyourhead

champion1981

Its win @all cost, stuff like that shouldn't be brought up on the field of play or indeed any where else for that matter, this is only 1 side of the story however, was this so called kilcoo player attacked or verbally abused to throw this up to a fellow Gael? 🤔 anyway back to last nights game ,god the yellas were very defensive every player inside their own 45 , puke football, magpies far fitter team ,still need to improve big time to beat a decent point team,

Cuan12

I'm all for banter on this forum and agree with everyone who has condemned this sort of personal sledging , the young lad who was subject to this abuse I commend for not reacting but god knows what was going through his mind, the offending player his coach and club need to have a long hard look at this and make sure it never happens again, there is no place for this type of behaviour, I hope it doesn't put if this young lad from playing football for his club and I wish him well for the future

champion1981

100% agree with you cuan, dont think his coach  and club sent him out to verbally abuse his opponent? Or do you know something we dont🤔?

Smurfy123

Territommy I didn't speculate on anything. It was brought up by somebody else. Sure I won't comment on it on a discussion board. Wise up will you.

terrifictommy

Smurfy, it was sarcasm. We should believe a post from you because you text a mate rather than 2 other corroborated posts. Serious matter, serious deep rooted values of what winning means and at what personal cost. It makes me sad to think this is the path our games are heading, and no doubt it is. Real empathy goes to that player, no one should have to endure that.

champion1981

Will kilcoo v point b a hard 1 to call?

terrifictommy

Yeah, it will depend on which Point team turn up. If it's the pacy attack side we've seen a few times then they will trouble Kilcoo and may well be favourites. If they slow the game up then there's usually only one winner in that. Be interesting to see.

Smurfy123

Well for what's it worth it's true and the apology came from the lad that said it. The lad called to the house and said sorry so at least that is something.  Can't understand how or why this sledging happens in our games. Sad state of affairs. No doubt it will be brushed under the carpet

upandwin

Bit of an anti-climax of a weekend at those games. CPN were seriously impressive and are still the best team I've seen in this year's championship to date. That being said, Ballyholland never ever got going and some of their younger players looked like the occasion got the better of them. After 15mins the game was dead and buried but it's the first year I've seen a point team put their opponents to the sword. Kept going for 60mins and have pace, power and skill all over the pitch. 1-15 I haven't seen too many weak links, not sure what they have to bring off the bench which would be my main concern if I was a point man. Still, looks promising for them based on what I've seen.

Kilcoo and Clonduff was a very poor spectacle, Clonduff never looked like they believed they could win that match. Even when they went two up in the second half, they retreated and invited pressure on from the Magpies. Kilcoo see to have a mental edge over some teams in the county which is worth three or four points in itself. They never got out of 2nd or 3rd gear and have a lot more to offer which is promising for them. I don't think we've seen the best of the All blacks yet but they don't look like the team they were a few years ago. Conor Lavery was instrumental and thought Eugene Brannigan was very busy as always. IMO Clonduff made a mistake putting Darren on Lavery, DOH is their best player and leader but didn't bring any of that to the table on Saturday eve.

I genuinely think we're in for a cracking final, CPN will fear no one and rightly so. Kilcoo will have done their homework but I think this is a 50/50 game based on who takes their chances on the day and a big factor will be the man in the middle-a strong ref will suit CPN, I think Kilcoo have benefitted from some soft refereeing in the past with regards to the dark arts and diving etc. I don't see either team running away with it, going to say this game will end in a draw. CPN to win it in the replay for me.

Any word or thoughts on who is referring the final? As a neutral, I'm very much looking forward to this one...unknown quantity vrs a mammoth team of the last decade...lots to be excited about in 2wks!!

guevara

A strong Referee will be required if we are to come out on top. On Friday Night Paul Falloon blatantly ignored three or four off the ball incidents that would have seen Ballyholland punished.

Kilcoo will be well aware of The Point's main threats and will do whatever it takes to nulify them. If the Referee allows them to hold, drag and foul it will undoubtedly curtail our running game. However if he Referees the game based on the laws of the game then I honestly think bar a seriously poor display, we will have too much for Kilcoo. 
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

thewobbler

Quote from: guevara on September 30, 2019, 01:37:08 PM
A strong Referee will be required if we are to come out on top. On Friday Night Paul Falloon blatantly ignored three or four off the ball incidents that would have seen Ballyholland punished.

Kilcoo will be well aware of The Point's main threats and will do whatever it takes to nulify them. If the Referee allows them to hold, drag and foul it will undoubtedly curtail our running game. However if he Referees the game based on the laws of the game then I honestly think bar a seriously poor display, we will have too much for Kilcoo.

If you're seriously suggesting that the ref on Friday night helped Ballyholland even slightly, then you're incapable of objective assessment.

downjim

Gaa clubs all have a brand, a legacy you might say, regardless of what a certain club might win this year or any year, their reputation will forever be tarnished with the crap that they take to games. The GAA means much more than this, will this certain club be releasing a statement or hope it just goes away

upandwin

Quote from: guevara on September 30, 2019, 01:37:08 PM

Aw now Guevara, I was at the game with a number of Point people who I'm friendly with and all of them would tell you Paul Falloon was very good the other night and didn't help Ballyholland in the slightest. Thought he did the game very fairly and was a very decent display of referring IMO. Tiarnan Rushe should've been black carded first half but that was the linesman (Darren O'Hare I believe) who should've called that, not Falloon. Other than that there was very little he got wrong...

Kilcoo seem to have most of the referees on their side this last six or seven years...most of whom are doing in house games for them. Adrian Sharvin probably get the final. Surely Ciaran Brannigan can't get the final?

champion1981

Quote from: downjim on September 30, 2019, 02:17:37 PM
Gaa clubs all have a brand, a legacy you might say, regardless of what a certain club might win this year or any year, their reputation will forever be tarnished with the crap that they take to games. The GAA means much more than this, will this certain club be releasing a statement or hope it just goes away
does the south down select make a statement every time a certain mr magill or mr ryan hits juvenile player's? Or indeed when they're firing abuse at their own under age players? Twice this year magill was forced to apologise to under age players from his adopted club😂, but yous wont talk about that ,it might bring the reputation of the great burren down ! #a**hole