Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

If clubs could control their members at games we would not be in this position

sdg

:-*Major OG by the co board charging u16s.
Glenn v stJohn's Glenn win will have to much quality.
Shamrocks v D cross.  Cross win shamrocks have good  wee team but that's where D cross will be too big and strong.

Kilcoo v Clonduff  6 or 7 point win for kilcoo

CPN v Ballyholland. The hardest game to call,  Draw

PTC

Think kilcoo will beat the yellas in a tight game the burren games should stand to them. The other semi final will also go down to the wire should be two good games

ardtole

I thought Kilcoo struggled when Burren kicked the ball early into the 2 big lads in the full forward line. Once they went 4 ahead with maybe 15/20 mins to go the stopped doing this, tried to hold on to posession and ultimately played into Kilcoo's hand.

If Clonduff play Arthur Mcconville and Barry OHagan right on the edge of the square like Burren had done, they could cause the kilcoo defence problems.

Lavery again showed his class, Clonduff might want Darren O'Hagan attacking from the half back line but he could be an option to man mark Lavery.

terrifictommy

Jim, longest hiatus I've seen you have, welcome back. It's not clubs role to curtail their supporters, it's people's own morals. At what point does abusing anyone within earshot resemble the sport we love so much. It's a dark alley we are going down and I'm not sure how to fix it. Charging £2 for minors isn't the answer.

SDG - id back those calls alright. Friday nights game would be interesting.

knockitdown

Just seen the video of the teenagers fighting behind the stand in Newry last week. Not surprised the County Board have elected to charge £2 entry, clearly no interest in watching football.

Cuan12

Sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind, what are we coming to, £2 in for u16, to stop a few unruly youngsters, could we not ask participating clubs for volunteers to ensure young lads from these clubs watch the game rather than run amok, do we really want to deter young lads from attending high profile games, sorry Sean og and co you have got this one badly wrong, it's not the £2 it's the fact that no one has sat done and discussed how to nip this problem in the bud, if charging £2 was the best solution they could come up with then we have guys at the helm who are clueless, and I think that is not the case , I think this has been a knee jerk reaction rather than a well thought out solution.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cuan12 on September 25, 2019, 03:24:57 PM
Sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind, what are we coming to, £2 in for u16, to stop a few unruly youngsters, could we not ask participating clubs for volunteers to ensure young lads from these clubs watch the game rather than run amok, do we really want to deter young lads from attending high profile games, sorry Sean og and co you have got this one badly wrong, it's not the £2 it's the fact that no one has sat done and discussed how to nip this problem in the bud, if charging £2 was the best solution they could come up with then we have guys at the helm who are clueless, and I think that is not the case , I think this has been a knee jerk reaction rather than a well thought out solution.

There's nothing kneejerk about charging U16's in, that was discussed at CB level a few years ago and knocked back by the clubs.
The latest incident in Newry is just the excuse to introduce it via the backdoor and whilst £2 isn't going to break anyone's bank its just the start of it.

Also,
   parents are entirely responsible for their children's behaviour. Asking stewards or whoever to marshall them is just neglecting their duty.

Smurfy123

What's the big deal with paying £2 for under 16s
If you are not prepared to pay £2 don't take the children.
You would not be long during a 15 year old £3 for a chip down the town
Get real lads and stop always moaning £2 for 60 minutes of high quality football is nothing.

OgraAnDun

CB should take the £2, issue a raffle ticket with the child's match ticket and run a raffle at half time with go games footballs, sliotars, Down jerseys etc for the kids

Ambrose

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 25, 2019, 04:48:34 PM

If it's not a big deal then why bother charging it in the first place?

People have previously pointed out that the GAA is in trouble in urban areas and our chairman for life wants to turn more people away from Pairc Esler on Saturday evening. Unbelievable Jeff.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

yewtree

To even have to issue a memo is a sad day for the GAA but it needed to be done.
We all to often criticize our committees within clubs and at County level but this time I feel it is a great bit of leadership from our County Board. Other County Boards have had worse situations but let it die down but no our leadership meet it head on. Why the issue ? Things happened and they have made a stand I and many I have spoken to applaud the memo and the County Board.
We have made a stand against antisocial behaviour and I feel proud of our County Board, let's applaud them as here they are courageous and right.
I have been to Windsor park a few times recently on youth soccer trips and they don't tolerate it so why should the GAA.?
Let's get behind our Board .

thebar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 25, 2019, 04:48:34 PM
If you are not prepared to pay £2 don't take the children.
You would not be long during a 15 year old £3 for a chip down the town
Get real lads and stop always moaning £2 for 60 minutes of high quality football is nothing.
Be careful.....if the kids stop going to the football the outlook is bleak for the future. 

SamFever

Quote from: yewtree on September 25, 2019, 10:44:56 PM
To even have to issue a memo is a sad day for the GAA but it needed to be done.
We all to often criticize our committees within clubs and at County level but this time I feel it is a great bit of leadership from our County Board. Other County Boards have had worse situations but let it die down but no our leadership meet it head on. Why the issue ? Things happened and they have made a stand I and many I have spoken to applaud the memo and the County Board.
We have made a stand against antisocial behaviour and I feel proud of our County Board, let's applaud them as here they are courageous and right.
I have been to Windsor park a few times recently on youth soccer trips and they don't tolerate it so why should the GAA.?
Let's get behind our Board .

Yewtree, read your posts from your entry to the Board and had a laugh but now having heard that you have attended "THAT PLACE" with youths I despair.

upandwin

For the love of Christ can people please stop engaging with Yewtree and hopefully he will just fade in to the darkness... ::)  ;D