Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackjack

Then why ask to use it bandit boy? Exactly our point, Cross more than caters for your dwindling support as the wheels are well and truely off the bandwagon now! Sure yous love your drunken days in clones.......why change it eh!

wobbller

Armagh to use our pitch in Newry yet Mayobridge can't get a run out on Sat afternoon before their replay.But "hey there our neighbours".Bullsh.t.

Pangurban

Makes sense to me, particularly given the relative convenience of the Marshes location for Armagh Fans. It would be churlish and ignorant not to help out our neighbours, if requested. Shopping centres in Newry would certainly welcome it

snatter

No brainer.
We're not exactly dripping with cash and this time we're helping out fellow gaels, not rival sports.

It makes no sense to have it lying empty.
With a 4000 capacity covered stand and floodlights, its ideal for National League games.
Easy to get to for S Armagh crowd, and the Lurgan lot could get the train.

What about Louth, couldn't they make use of it as well?

Leo

Quote from: snatter on November 09, 2007, 09:30:38 AM
No brainer.
We're not exactly dripping with cash and this time we're helping out fellow gaels, not rival sports.

It makes no sense to have it lying empty.
With a 4000 capacity covered stand and floodlights, its ideal for National League games.
Easy to get to for S Armagh crowd, and the Lurgan lot could get the train.

What about Louth, couldn't they make use of it as well?

Entirley agree. Firstly it is now by far the best GAA ground in Ulster and should be made available to meet our neighbours' needs.
Secondly, are'nt the lower goals in Armagh anyway?
Thirdly, the new playing surface is a showcase for GAA and the best advert our games can have is for more high profile games there.
Fourthly, Down fixtures (including club championship) draw biig support from S Armagh Gaels anyway.

As for the Mayobridge gripe it is this sort of parochial nonesense that turned the old Marshes into a quagmire. There are plenty of training facilities for clubs all around the county - keep Esler for games.

One final point - the GAA authorities in Down should speak to tthe owners of Greenbank Industrial estate, Roads service and PSNI about properly marshalled parking on match days. With proper signage, traffic control and stewarding thie roads in the estate provides the best free parking any GAA ground will ever have without annpying residents elsewhere.
Fierce tame altogether

DMarsden

It's an entirely sensible suggestion. on reflection, if armagh had paid a premium and the two county boards had funded the redevelopment together, it could be a "joint" county ground by now. there is absolutely no need for most of the large stadia in ulster and this could be a very innovative and financially sound way forward.

downredblack

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 09, 2007, 10:25:20 AM
Is it not about time that the likes of Armagh & Louth had a ground of their own? If a County like Down, who would be regarded as one of the lesser footballing counties these days can maintain 2 county standard grounds then surely footballing super powers like Armagh and Louth should at least be capable of having 1 ground that holds a decent sized crowd in relative safety and comfort.
Maybe if Armagh & Louth werent wasting their cash on trips to La Manga, Florida or on trips to see Celtic they could put a few quid towards having a home for their team/fans to play in within their own County. The Marshes looks very well at the minute, it is a credit to an amateur organisation and I am proud to say that I contributed to it in some small way. If I had wanted to help out the homeless I would have made a donation to the Simon Community, if Armagh want to play in Newry they could try there. We dont need or want them.

Jeez, 5times that's a bit harsh . A bit of slagging is one thing but I wouldn't begrudge Armagh the chance to play in the Marshes . Especially if we get a few quid out of it  ;)

No1

QuoteFirstly it is now by far the best GAA ground in Ulster

Is it?

full back

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 09, 2007, 10:25:20 AM
then surely footballing super powers like Armagh and Louth should at least be capable of having 1 ground that holds a decent sized crowd in relative safety and comfort.

Complete WUM 5ivetimes ::)
No disrespect to Louth, but when did they become a superpower? Maybe making things up to suit your own agenda

As for the groundshare, I think it would be a decent enough idea on all sides. The set-up at the Marshes is excellent  & the financial rewards would be good as well. The only thing is if Down let us have the ground for certain occasions it would be letting them useless feckers on the county board off the hook.

Blacksheep

Good idea. There's far too  much money being wasted on all these new grounds. Ulster only needs 3 really. Donegal should have shared Celtic park and kept their money in their pocket.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

thewobbler

I said from the outset that the Marshes should have been developed for use by both Down and Armagh, and I'm still of that mindset.

I don't think we could charge them much of a premium to be honest, but let's be honest, Armagh attract big crowds and it would more than pay both Down and Shamrocks to get involved in this arrangement.

With a ground like the Marshes in Newry, realistically it makes no sense for the GAA (Armagh County Board, Ulster Board, whatever level you choose) to try and replicate it 18 miles up the road in Armagh City. They should just share.

Oh and 5iveTimes, you are some craic. For God's sake, you were waxing lyrical about the shithole that is Newcastle a few months back. Newcastle is a dirty, cold, wet ground, always. You should stop getting emotionally involved with grounds and start getting emotionally involved with a club team. You'd then realise that within Down, money is seriously needed at county level. If the county can't generate it, they'll tap the clubs up. And most clubs just can't afford this situation. If Armagh are going to supply some of the needed funds, we should take it.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on November 09, 2007, 11:40:08 AM
I said from the outset that the Marshes should have been developed for use by both Down and Armagh, and I'm still of that mindset.

I don't think we could charge them much of a premium to be honest, but let's be honest, Armagh attract big crowds and it would more than pay both Down and Shamrocks to get involved in this arrangement.

With a ground like the Marshes in Newry, realistically it makes no sense for the GAA (Armagh County Board, Ulster Board, whatever level you choose) to try and replicate it 18 miles up the road in Armagh City. They should just share.

Oh and 5iveTimes, you are some craic. For God's sake, you were waxing lyrical about the shithole that is Newcastle a few months back. Newcastle is a dirty, cold, wet ground, always. You should stop getting emotionally involved with grounds and start getting emotionally involved with a club team. You'd then realise that within Down, money is seriously needed at county level. If the county can't generate it, they'll tap the clubs up. And most clubs just can't afford this situation. If Armagh are going to supply some of the needed funds, we should take it.

Agree totally wobbler.It makes no sense in the GAA having 3 half-baked "county" grounds in every county.
I'd let Armagh ,Louth or whoever use Páirc Esler,for a price.I'd draw the line at letting Newry Town(sorry City) FC use it,however :D
Continuing on a soccer note-don't AC Milan and Inter Milan share their ground,and it doesn't seem to cause them any problems.

billy the kid

I think the GPA should be ashamed of themselves they are undermining everything the GAA stands for.  What they are asking for is Pay for |Play dressed up in fancy clothes.

They are an elitist Organisation who are only concerned with themselves and I firmly believe its a case of a few leading the many.

Don't get me wrong i totally agree with players being treated well and looked after if they get injured but they are always looking for more and more.

Currently every season inter-county players in Derry get:

2 pairs of boots
2 full kits a season,
2 full sets of training gear. (1 wet and 1 normal)
1 rain jacket
1 zip up top
1 jumper
2 polo shirts
1 tracksuit
Home training Equipment
Free access to state of the art gym

All the above are official Derry gear from O neills with emblems and crests and this is only the gear I KNOW FOR CERTAIN they get!

Also they have access to a top class physio, team doctor dietician and heart screening facilities.

they receive meals after ALL games and on the way to away games

they get fed after every training

and they also get VERY GOOD rebates on their mileage expenses.

Again these are jut the things i KNOW FOR CERTAIN!!

for each national league game they receive 4 passes each allowing friends and family to gain admission to the games for FREE and the passes can be used for both hurling and football even if only involved in one code.

They receive at least 2 and sometimes more FREE tickets for ALL championship matches they are involved in

They receive 2 good tickets for the all Ireland final in their code (hurling or football) for FREE

Before the club championship begins they receive a pass allowing them to gain FREE entry to ALL championship matches within the county in EITHER code at ANY level

The above list was given to me when I asked a PRESENT COUNTY PLAYER from our club about conditions at inter-county level.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them these things as the gear and medical farcicalities are a MUST and so are the mileage expenses and the meals.

The other stuff are added perks and again I would say Just right they are training very hard and giving a big commitment to Our County.

Looking at the list I would say our county players are fairly well looked after wouldn't you? And this is just the example of our county alot of other counties like Armagh and Tyrone get even more gear and perks which again is fair enough.

But to ask for money and to make out that they are so hard done by and listening to some of their leaders you'd think some were hardly fit to feed themselves and on the way to financial ruin is an absolute myth and border line lie!!

What ever happened to being proud to play for your county and pride in the jersey? That used to be enough to make people play for their counties.

Has Pride and honour fallen of the radar of the GPA in their obsession with self-worth and self-gain.
If pride in the jersey and being honoured to represent your County plus the list i have supplied aren't enough to make individuals play for OUR county teams do we really want them to? The type of character who would undermine the very fabric of our great organisation to line his own pockets.   

I was also informed by the County player from my own Club that most county players don't want to strike but are being openly pressurised to do so. Is this Democracy?

Its also evident the GPA are so far removed from the grassroots GAA and the supporters that they haven't noticed that the vast majority are strongly against it, but why would they listen to us mere mortals?

Down Manager Ross Carr has the right idea:

If these prima donnas strike and refuse to play Each County should find a panel of players who will represent their counties for pride honour and the other perks i listed. There would be a stampede to trials and it would totally negate the strike and render their actions futile and meaningless.

We cannot let the elitist few hold the rest of us to ransom while they try to gain financially for doing what most TRUE Gaels consider an Honour and a privilege – PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTY  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

snatter

............. the shithole that is Newcastle a few months back. Newcastle is a dirty, cold, wet ground, always.

A bit harsh on Newcastle there wobbler.

The main things wrong with the ground were the duff stand that you couldn't see out of because of the low roof and huge columns. Lately, the floodlight columns installed right at the touchline meant that you couldn't see much either.

But as a location, Newcastle is way better for the whole county than Newry.

Assuming Newcastle does get sold, I'd still see the need for a secondary county ground somewhere in East Down.
Without it in the long term, we'll lose the support of many from East Down, especially in  the greater  Downpatrick area.
I'd say that there's a fair percentage of Downpatrick people who've never been to Newry (and probably vice versa).
They'd get to Casement quicker than the marshes.

Imo, we should take some of the tesco money and build somewhere half decent ( say 10k capacity, 3k covered) closer to east down where the Down senior team can play some matches.

And btw, I'd say that Newcastle and the rest of east down is statistically warmer and drier than Newry or Ballyholland!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19712000/tmean/17.gif
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19712000/dr2/17.gif

downredblack

Quote from: snatter on November 09, 2007, 01:10:24 PM
............. the shithole that is Newcastle a few months back. Newcastle is a dirty, cold, wet ground, always.

A bit harsh on Newcastle there wobbler.

The main things wrong with the ground were the duff stand that you couldn't see out of because of the low roof and huge columns. Lately, the floodlight columns installed right at the touchline meant that you couldn't see much either.

But as a location, Newcastle is way better for the whole county than Newry.

Assuming, Newcastle does get sold, I'd still see the need for a secondary county ground somewhere in East Down.
Without it in the long term, we'll lose the support of many from East Down, especially in  the greater  Downpatrick area.
I'd say that there's a fair percentage of Downpatrick people who've never been to Newry (and probably vice versa).
They'd get to Casement quicker than the marshes.

Imo, we should take some of the tesco money and build somewhere half decent ( say 10k capacity, 3k covered) closer to east down where the Down senior team can play some matches.
And btw, I'd say that Newcastle like the rest of east down is probably warmer and drier than Newry or Ballyholland.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19712000/tmean/17.gif
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19712000/dr2/17.gif

Is the point not that we have too many grounds left empty for most of the year already without building another one . Surely if you want to go and watch Down badly enough you will get in the car and travel no matter were the ground is ?