Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Fair play to Clann na Banna on their maintaining their Division 2 status.
Just a thought BTW:Do you feel CNB are underachieving given the size of the town,their relative consistency at underage,and the fact that they have had some cracking footballers over the years.
As an outsider looking in,having played many times against CNB,I think your below par facilities are stifling your progress.In a town with rival sports-rugby,and soccer strong,and a number of rival GAA clubs locally with excellent facilities,surely it is time for CNB to look to provide more attractive facilities-in order for you to meet your massive potential.The county board in their concern over the "crisis "in  the GAA in Downpatrick and Newry ,forget that there is just as much potential in other uban areas such as Banbridge,Carryduff and Bredagh.

behind the wire

6th sam, you have to remember just where clann na banna is situated. our club is situated bang in the middle of the town and receives almost no support from 1) a large proportion of the population and 2) the local authorities. given the political situation it wasnt fashionable to be seen to be invloved in or seen to be supporting a gaa club in the area. for many years the club has survived through the hard work of a few individuals who continue to keep it running til this day. from my own point of view i have seen the club more or less on its knees on a few occasions and for me it was a success in itself to have kept the club in existence.

it is only now with the current political situation that more people are beginning to take an interest in the gaa club, in fact interest in the gaa has never been greater in banbridge. the underage teams u speak of are now beginning to come through, seven or eight of us on the current senior team came out of the same minor team 4 years ago.

as regards the facilities, we built a new clubhouse 3 years ago. the field definitely isnt great, it hampers our own style of play, but with land goin for around £1m an acre i cant see us affording to relocate. help from local council etc in comparison with help given to other sports is basically non existent and any land that may be affordable is in areas of the parish where we wouldnt be particularly welcome.

county board definitely needs to realise the potential around banbridge area, not only ourselves but also other clubs around us. (maybe some of the referees could also accept that we arent a junior club anymore as well) hopefully we can develop a bit more now and try to establish ourselves in the second division.

i definitely see what you are saying 6th sam. potential is definitely there. but keeping the thing running hasnt been easy. its only now that we can hope to develop a wee bit.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Whitehair

BTW What do you make of the current set up in St Marys in regards the Gaelic? I think its essential for clann na banna to have a Timmy Doyle type figure back in the school to maintain a conveyor belt of talent coming through as it was in the 90's. There seemed to be a trend of lads playing school football first and then joining the club, not neccessarily born into the club as would be in GAA strongholds. Looking at the results of the current underage teams they dont seem to be of the same standard of the teams that were there at the beginning of the decade, or maybe im seeing something that isnt there!?

6th sam

Sorry ,I didnt realise you had a clubhouse-it's about 5 years since I was last there.
I realise the difficulties which you have had over the years,and fair play to you for now being in the position  you are.
Given the investment in your clubhouse ,I imagine you would be keen to develop your current pitches--is there scope for cooperation with the school in developing the site?

DownHead

Any one hear news of or confirm that shea curren from the 'point is transferin to Dundrum??

DownFanatic

DownHead, it's the first Ive heard of it and I hear a lot of things. I know he lives in Dundrum. Any notion where this came from? BTW I see your a Longstone man, is Dawson still going to be at the helm next year?

Brick Tamlin

curran has retired from the point team by all accounts, probably end up playin for someone over that direction.28/29 a bit early to retire so dont be surprised to see him kit out next season again.

6th sam

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 29, 2007, 04:24:49 PM
DownHead, it's the first Ive heard of it and I hear a lot of things. I know he lives in Dundrum. Any notion where this came from? BTW I see your a Longstone man, is Dawson still going to be at the helm next year?

If he lives in Dundrum ,presumably Loughinisland will be looking to sign him,DF ! ;D :D

DownFanatic

More than likely 6th Sam. By the way just when we are on the topic, has anybody heard of any underhand movements in the transfer market regarding Loughinisland? This is usually the time of year they go scouting for potential new recruits.

The Corporal

Im surprised the Island didnt get Brendan McGourty when they were signing Magic Johnston! Loughinisland is like the gaelic version of Man City at this min in time!!  :D

6th sam

Quote from: The Corporal on October 29, 2007, 05:47:03 PM
Im surprised the Island didnt get Brendan McGourty when they were signing Magic Johnston! Loughinisland is like the gaelic version of Man City at this min in time!!  :D

I was actually joking about Loughinisland but it appears I have opened a can of worms.

Regarding the Ards players ,why shouldn't Loughinisland lay claim to Magic,any less than Darragh claim McGourty.
They are hurlers keen to play football and as such they should be free to join a football club of their choice-as far as I know that's the rule.

In any event Loughinisland are certainly not the worst offenders in terms of creative transfers/registration.

Cloc Mor

Was Magic not with Kilclief previously?  Does he live near Loughinislland?  I suppose this minor detail never stopped any player transferring to Loughinisland before.

stpauls

Quote from: 6th sam on October 29, 2007, 06:04:16 PM
Quote from: The Corporal on October 29, 2007, 05:47:03 PM

I was actually joking about Loughinisland but it appears I have opened a can of worms.

Regarding the Ards players ,why shouldn't Loughinisland lay claim to Magic,any less than Darragh claim McGourty.
They are hurlers keen to play football and as such they should be free to join a football club of their choice-as far as I know that's the rule.

In any event Loughinisland are certainly not the worst offenders in terms of creative transfers/registration.

they can join a football club of their choice, as long as it doesn't have a hurling team. although Darragh Cross may be as bad as the 'Island, sure McGourty was playing and registered with us 10 months ago!

edit: freaky in the week that it is, this is my 666th post. SPOOKY!!

6th sam

Quote from: Cloc Mor on October 29, 2007, 06:21:14 PM
Was Magic not with Kilclief previously?  Does he live near Loughinislland?  I suppose this minor detail never stopped any player transferring to Loughinisland before.

My understanding is that players who are not provided football  by their own club are entitled to go to any club of their choice.I think  there is  already a precedent in Down on this issue,as the Trainors of Portaferry play Football for Downpatrick ,despite the fact that both Kilclief and Saul are closer to the Ards.

upthehoops

Quote from: 6th sam on October 29, 2007, 08:35:03 PM
Quote from: Cloc Mor on October 29, 2007, 06:21:14 PM

My understanding is that players who are not provided football  by their own club are entitled to go to any club of their choice.I think  there is  already a precedent in Down on this issue,as the Trainors of Portaferry play Football for Downpatrick ,despite the fact that both Kilclief and Saul are closer to the Ards.

The Trainors from Portaferry do play for RGU but there is at least a family link there in that their mother is Oakes a sister of Pat ( Phillip ans Karls Dad) and a sister of Ann ( Conor, Gerard and Gregory Deegans mum).