Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

Quote from: imagine on October 25, 2007, 10:06:28 AM
Kilcoo,Castlwellan, Leitrim and Bryansford are searching

i hear Tullylish are looking as well, as from Monday past!

Cloc Mor

Quote from: stpauls on October 27, 2007, 07:33:48 PM
Quote from: imagine on October 25, 2007, 10:06:28 AM
Kilcoo,Castlwellan, Leitrim and Bryansford are searching

i hear Tullylish are looking as well, as from Monday past!

Kevin Blaney has only been there for a year.  While they led for most of the year, the could have been overtaken if Saul had beaten them.  I would have thought he would have stayed on?  You sure about this, stpauls?

behind the wire

Quote from: Leo on October 27, 2007, 10:34:44 AM
Good refereeing show and all round advert for good clean Down football.

after some of the performances i have witnessed this year i didnt think such a thing existed anymore!

Leo, would you be Leo Smyth by any chance?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Cloc Mor

Your probably right, BTW because the real Leo probably is that stupid to have this as his username.  Dumb

whyarerefssobad

refs need to use a little common sense played a game recently brendy rice from the point was the ref he talked to the players the whole way through the game explaining his decisions they were not always right but the players excepted them plus the players could talk to him without fear of getting the ball moved up.it seemsthat refs dont answer to anyone something has to be done.i think this is the main reason down football is the way it is we need a few more brendy rices he is young and it is not that ago he was a player
always look on the bright side

TORGAEL

Glasdrumman relegated....didnt hear the final scoreline.

Square Ball

Bredagh lost to Setanta in the semi of the Ulster hurling
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Whitehair

Well done to behind the wire and the Clann an Banna boys! A long hard season and in the past people may have said Banbridge wouldnt have the bottle or temperament for the fight. Annaclone, Banbridge and Tullylish all in Div2 next year!

Square Ball

Quote from: Whitehair on October 28, 2007, 06:58:02 PM
Well done to behind the wire and the Clann an Banna boys! A long hard season and in the past people may have said Banbridge wouldnt have the bottle or temperament for the fight. Annaclone, Banbridge and Tullylish all in Div2 next year!

should make for a few tasty games there
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Leo

Quote from: Cloc Mor on October 27, 2007, 04:04:41 PM
I bet anyone would struggle to name five decent referees in Down at the minute.  We have some real clowns taking charge of games and they really are ruining them for players and spectators.  I wasn't at the game last night but believe that John Clarke got some serious attention off the ball (like most forwards the Kilcoo defence have played against).  He retaliated and was caught - where is the justice in that?

Looking forward to the piece on Martin Clarke.  It shouldn't be part of a show but a programme in itself.

As you say you were not at the game - I was and I was also only commenbting on the referee in that game. Credit where it is due.
John Clarke was having a great game in his best position (Paddy O'Rourke & Ross Carr take note) and appeared to strike with the fist after he scored a mrvellous point. My reading of the rule book is that this is a red card offence regardlessof how well he was playing. Full credit to An Riocht for their superb (tactically astutre) second half response to that.
Fierce tame altogether

behind the wire

cheers whitehair, delighted to stay up. final score was clann na banna 3.8 Glasdrumman 0.4. after the week we have had in the club it was excellent for the lads to respond with a performance like that.

have to give credit to the ref, seamus o hanlon. although he should have sent one of the glasdrumman players off for a blatent elbow overall he did a good job. thought he was very fair.

glassdrumman tried to play the dirt, as they did when getting hammered by warrenpoint but it didnt work for them. in the end they could have had a couple more seeing red. as a result of the elbow incident mentioned above one of our lads is away to dundonald with a suspected fractured cheekbone.

all in all delighted to stay up, proved alot of people wrong. next season will be good craic with the odd local derby!

Mourne Rover

A poster on the main discussion board has provided what appears to be the full list of NFL 08 fixtures. If it is correct, and it seems to be, this is our programme.

Sat Feb 2, Sligo (h) 7pm.
Sun Feb 17, Louth (a) 2.30pm.
Sun March 2, Wexford (a) 2.30pm.
Sat March 15, Longford (h) 7pm.
Sat March 29, Limerick (h) 7pm.
Sun April 6, Leitrim (a) 2.30pm.
Sun April 13, Fermanagh (h) 2.30pm.

I really hope all these are confirmed, as it would mean we have had a bit of good fortune for a change. Four home games out of seven, including the first and last matches, and Sligo, Longford and Limerick have to make the long journey to us rather than vice versa. Louth and Leitrim are not too bad as far as away trips go, and Wexford is the only extended run. Three of our home games are under floodlights, presumably in Newry, and, if we have any football in us at all, we should be able to make a decent go of this division.

The first match, at home to Sligo, is the crucial one. If we get off the mark, against a provincial championship-winning side, we should go very close to promotion. A defeat would be bad news, but I prefer to think the division three title would be at stake by the time we play Fermanagh.

Let's use the McKenna Cup properly for a change, produce some new defenders and build up some overall confidence for the league. Tyrone may not quite be shaking in their boots, and the open draw remains our best bet, but we have to start somewhere and this divisional set-up might just give us an opportunity.

5 Sams

Saturday night football.....happy days ;D
The Aristocrat Years

passedit

Quote from: behind the wire on October 28, 2007, 08:12:38 PM
cheers whitehair, delighted to stay up. final score was clann na banna 3.8 Glasdrumman 0.4. after the week we have had in the club it was excellent for the lads to respond with a performance like that.

have to give credit to the ref, seamus o hanlon. although he should have sent one of the glasdrumman players off for a blatent elbow overall he did a good job. thought he was very fair.

glassdrumman tried to play the dirt, as they did when getting hammered by warrenpoint but it didnt work for them. in the end they could have had a couple more seeing red. as a result of the elbow incident mentioned above one of our lads is away to dundonald with a suspected fractured cheekbone.

all in all delighted to stay up, proved alot of people wrong. next season will be good craic with the odd local derby!

Just to add my congratulations to BTW and Banbridge, no doubt the usual begrudgers who can't see beyond the 'heartland' are less pleased for ye. Looking forward already to Tullylish restoring the natural order next year.  ;)

Like you say BTW a great effort after an awful week, my condolences to both clubs and especially the Family, it's not like they haven't suffered enough already.   
Don't Panic

behind the wire

cheers passedit.  was a definitely a hard week. for paddy to come out and play the way he did was yesterday was amazing.
was good to see a good few tullylish members there yesterday shouting for us, no doubt thinking about the big gates next season!!!

dont know what about the natural order though. the times they are a changin' ya know ;)