Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Mourne Rover

Has anyone got a result/report from Newcastle tonight ?

TORGAEL

Last i heard [about halfway through the 2nd half] was that an riocht were leading 17-8.

umpire

AN Riocht 0 18 Mayobridge 0.9  result

KIDDO

Poor reflection on the back up that mayobridge have, when they had tobring on an injured Benny Coulter , and vetran mickey Linden , among their second half subs .  maybe their poor display is down to the celebrations they have had this week , no doubt their performance will improve for Dromore ,on Nov 4th.

passedit

Kiddo ye,re keen as mustard if you travelled to that game from tyrone.

How did Mr Clarke play?
Don't Panic

dundrumite

Mr (John) Clarke was immense at full forward, pity for the county hes taking a year, any ball that came in he won and must of kicked 5 or 6 from play as well as being involved in most of the good things an riocht did attacking wise. Martin Clarke was quite good too although his finishing wasnt up to his big brother's display he was creating and showed he still has it upstairs. Should be an interesting final between them and kilcoo, two teams that like to move the ball and play an attractive brand of footballl.

The Corporal

Id agree with Dundrumite, thought that John Clarke was superb last night! Well taken scores and very strong. Marty didnt touch the ball for the first 10 mins but every time he got on the ball he looked very strong and his passing and vision are 2nd to none. He showed great bursts of speed to score his point from play. Was also impressed by that lad James Cunningham in midfield. He's full of running and loves to attack the opposition. Colgan was also good last night aswell, won most things that came his way. Should be a good final but heard a rumor that 10 Kilcoo players are being suspended as a result of being thrown out of the Castlewellan 7's for fighting with Moy. Any1 else hear this rumor??

spiritof91and94

Yeah, the Daily Mirror has touched on this Kilcoo 'ten' story this morning - wouldnt it be a real pity if they did lose players!
John Clarke was immense as was Martin and the amount of breaks he won was high.
Cunningham has a great engine and Colgan must start for the county when available

thewobbler

Parallels can be drawn between the respective stars of the two semi-finals:

- Both are natural wing-forwards
- Both are superbly accurate from distance
- Neither ever plays defence for their club team
- Yet for some reason, there is no end of Down supporters who think they should both play in the back line

I hope young McKernan doesn't waste 5+ years being a plug in the hole for Down's back line like Clarke has.

amallon

We can have no excuses for last night we just weren't at the races or even close.  The Kingdom played the sort of football we play when we are at our best!  I had a bad feeling when the Kingdom offered a guard of honour, just knew they were really going to go at us.  We have a lot of hard work to do before Dromore.  We will have a lot of players back before that game and on last nights performance we will need them badly.  The dromore mananger in the crowd must have been thinking the Bridge were playing in the green white and gold!

John Clarke stole the show last night hitting 5 points from play.  Martin Clarke was quiet enough, any time he got on the ball he didn't waste it.  His vision and movement is unreal.  The BBC had cameras at the game so I'd be expecting a bit of coverage on tonights newline. 

The final should be a good game next Friday night, Kilcoo will be favourites and will put up a much tougher challenge than we did last night.  The Kingdom played some of the best football I've seen all season and if they can repeat last nights performance will be hard stopped.  Is still slightly fancy Kilcoo.  Its seems a bit far fetched that 10 Kilcoo players could get suspended from the row at the Castlewellan 7's. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Minus15

St Paul's regarding the mitchels situation my contacts within the mitchels have appealed their relegation as a result of drumgath's winning appeal because they played their game against yourselves under the initial belief that it was a three way playoff and would have another match in order to survive. They want the st paul's match replayed as a one off game with the winner staying up. To be fair I think they have a point and if it was my club I know we would have done the same!

Blue Island

Quote from: Minus15 on October 19, 2007, 01:19:06 PM
St Paul's regarding the mitchels situation my contacts within the mitchels have appealed their relegation as a result of drumgath's winning appeal because they played their game against yourselves under the initial belief that it was a three way playoff and would have another match in order to survive. They want the st paul's match replayed as a one off game with the winner staying up. To be fair I think they have a point and if it was my club I know we would have done the same!

You must be trying to wind up the St Paul's posters, because you cannot be seriously advocating the St Paul's should be forced to re-play a match they have already won fair and square. What you are in effect saying is the Mitchell's players played St Paul's with ther handbrake on because they knew they had another chance against Drumgath. That makes no sense. With all due respect to St Paul's, Drumgath on their day are a far more potent team and I can't believe Mitchells thought, right lads, don't worry to much about this match against St Paul's we will always beat Drumgath in the next round. Surely Mitchels would have viewed the St Pauls match as their best bet for survival.

That is not to say Mitchells do not have a legitamate gripe but St Pauls won that match fair and square and whilst the debacle will have to be sorted out, at the very least this result will stand. In any event, the county board would not have the power to order a replay.

stpauls

and that is exactly what we have been told, that we do not have to reply the match, that we cannot be made to replay the match and the result would stand. initially we were told that we were playing a straight knock out comp, and if we were to beat Mitchels that was it, with the losers going on to play Drumgath, which is why we trained flat out in the weeks coming up to the Mitchels game as we knew it would probably be our best chance of getting 2 points. Personally, I don't think Mitchels would have went out with that attitude but if they did, it is going to do them harm now.

Minus, you said that they are appealing the decision to relegate them, I can only assume that the CB told them that they were down to division 4 due to Drumgath winning their appeal?

Minus15

st pauls i do not know if the county board has notified mitchels of their relegation or not. I think that everyone has just sort of assumed that mitchels would be relegated as a result of drumgath's successful appeal! You say that you were told that winner stays up in your match against mitchels. This is only the case if mitchels go on to lose against drumgath. The playoff system for division 3 is like division two-a round robin series of games which each team facing eachother once. As was the case in the div 2 relegation playoffs this year warrenpoint, banbridge and glassdrumman each won a game each and therefore they faced each other again.
Blue island i didnt mean that mitchels went out taking it easy against st pauls but after the stpauls game they were in a position where they still had a chance of staying up. That chance has been taken away from them.
Although the case has been settled now and drumgath have stayed up you dont see any arguments with regards top 4. It states in the yet to be updated bylaws that it is top 3 in playoffs for promotion yet common sense has allowed there to be four teams. Surely drumgath should have allowed common sense to prevail and just played and most likely beaten mitchels in their playoff game but fair play to them. Its likely to go on for a while yet before we here the end of this anyway!