Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Just a couple of points in response to recent posts. No one should  be talking about a change of management before the season has even started. We are all hoping for promotion, a decent show against Tyrone in the championship and a good run in the qualifiers, and we want to see some younger faces being given their chance along the way. Ross and DJ are well capable of achieving this, and deserve our support in the process.

If, eight months from now, we are still outside the top two divisions and yet again we do not survive the first round of both the Ulster championship and the open draw, serious questions will need to be answered. Our managers knew all this when they took on the job, and they will have to take praise and criticism in their stride. Reasonable results will give them a third term, and poor defeats will not.

They are entitled to look for alternatives to Michael Walsh, as he is a talented player, who has been unlucky with injuries, and has only rarely produced his minor and club form at senior county level. I would not write him off yet, but Liam Doyle is in a different category. He has produced the goods on a more regular basis when fit, even when arguably out of postion, and he is still our best bet as a captain - particulary if he is given the entire league in the half-back line.

Finally, we should not get carried away with running Monaghan close at the start of their impressive summer. There were some dodgy decisions throughout the game in Newry, but, when it really counted in the last five minutes, they blitzed us. We have a long way to go, and we will start 2008 as, at best, seventh out of nine in Ulster.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 17, 2007, 11:53:22 PM
Ross Carr was my first choice as Down manager and remains so, but the thing I just cant work out is how does a team sent out by Ross and DJ Kane (DJ being one of the most passionate people I know) go out and give such lifeless performances???
Yes they were within 5 minutes of beating what turned out to be the team of the Championship, Monaghan, but Championship football can be won or lost in the last couple of minutes and even though we were a few points up with 10 minutes to go we never looked like closing the game out. Then we had Meath in Newry in the qualifiers, that was every bit as bad as Sligo last year. They just werent interested, they were beaten long before they took to the field. Meath didnt beat Down that saturday evening, they didnt have to. Down beat themselves.

I dont think Monaghan were team of the Championship - the winners Kerry were in my book with Monaghan the surprise package you get every other year ie; Fermanagh/Sligo/Derry in recent times.

spiritof91and94

Kilcoo beat Burren last night in the semi final of the league 2.12 - 1.13. The game went to extra time at 1.09 each, Aidan McGivern goaled for Burren in the last minute and they then went a point up only for Kilcoo to get the draw at the very death.
Laverty won 3 dodgy frees for kilcoo during injury time, while Kevin McKernan was without doubt the star of the show kicking 9 points from all over the pitch and you can add him to the Down forward line for the championship - on this performance he will be a nailed starter.

amallon

Any word on whether Martin Clarke will be allowed to play for the Kingdom tonight inthe playoffs?  It would be great if he is able to play.  It might not be much fun for our defence.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

Let me know if you find out Aidan. It would be worth going along to see him alone.....just to see what Tyrone will be missing next year!!!! Have you managed to get your boys off the drink long enough to think about this game!!!
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Yeah we had everyone at training on Tuesday night.  Well some of them in body at least!  Tonights game probably couldn't have come at a better time for us as it focus' minds back on the job in hand. 

spiritof91and94

He was training with the team in Newcastle last week for the game tonight. Seems well 'bulked up' from his aussie training. A few Kingdom lads at work told me he would be playing.

Brick Tamlin

any word about wee james stepping down as manager of burren last night??

spiritof91and94

Yeah, he announced it on the pitch-side microphone after the match.

amallon

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 18, 2007, 01:44:16 PM
Yeah, he announced it on the pitch-side microphone after the match.

Thats a little bit of a strange way to step down.  Was this all arranged beforehand or did he just grap hold of the mic and start takling?

I'd say James' services will be in big demand from lots of clubs across Ulster.  Maybe the scare he had against the Stone might make him consider taking her handy for a while

spiritof91and94

Apparently he asked the pa man for the microphone and thanked everybody for their time - he said he was thinking off playing again though, yeah very strange indeed it was.

passedit

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 18, 2007, 05:02:30 PM
Apparently he asked the pa man for the microphone and thanked everybody for their time - he said he was thinking off playing again though, yeah very strange indeed it was.

If his back isn't too bad why wouldn't he, there's a brave few boys older than him still playing and a whole lot more with a lot less ability. I'd say he'd be an asset to the Burren seniors if he gave it a good shot. 

No amount of managing, coaching or cribbing from the top of the bank beats playing.
Don't Panic

TORGAEL

Half time score in tonights semifinal

An Riocht 0-10   Mayobridge 0-7

Martin Clarke started for An Riocht

Our Nail Loney

Any word on how he's playing Torgael?

TORGAEL

Sadly im not at the game [leg in plaster] but il find out how he played later