Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Disagree
This team is ready for the big stage
Mooney Harrison O Hagen x2 McKernan McGovern Johnstonesx2 O Hanlon Poland Maginn
Don't tell me the above are not some of the best in Ireland
With the exception of Dublin Kerry Mayo

OgraAnDun

Cork and Roscommon up next and we shall see. Those two games will reveal a lot. The players you mention all have potential but have yet to consistently prove it bar McKernan and D O'Hagan. I don't think we will beat Cork, Roscommon or Meath. Tipp and Cavan will be 50/50 - hopefully we can contain Quinlivan and his mates in the FF line, because I agree that McGovern, O'Hagan and McCardle are a very good backline. Remember that until a goal in the last five mins, we were only 3 points ahead of Louth.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we hammer everyone, but I can't see it happening.

Dubh driocht

Smurphy I will tell you that some on your list aren't some of the best in Ireland.
Today could have gone either way and Louth are a limited outfit.There were many promising signs with the defence in particular looking like a unit and were boosted with the introduction of O'Hagan, McKibbin and especially McKernan. We struggled at midfield though, especially after Donnelly went off, and only for a couple of class points plus the goal from Harrison we could have been in trouble. Still, great to start with a win on the road and two more points next week against Cork would be even better.

Targetman

It was a good win against a team that will probably get relegated, some good moves in the second half when we played our best football, we finished with a stronger team than the one that started but midfield continues to give cause for concern, we won very little in this sector

SHEEDY

Thought we won comfortably enough today, apart from a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half when louth got it back to 2 points we were always in control. This was despite the fact we won nothing in midfield. The introduction of mckernan and darren o'hagan helped steady the ship and push on for the 2 points.

Thought aaron morgan was Down's top performer and along with shay millar got through a serious amount if work on a very heavy pitch.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

We looked in big trouble when Louth pulled it back to two points with ten minutes left and were in total control at midfield with a gale force wind behind them.  However, our big players stepped up to the plate, particularly Connaire Harrison, and it was surprisingly comfortable in the end.

Shane Harrison's kick outs had mixed success but he took one brilliant catch which persuaded Louth to stop pumping in high balls and looked comfortable in position throughout. Our defence was generally good, with Flanagan promising, McGovern steady and McArdle classy. McParland looked the part as both a centre half and a captain and O'Hanlon was plainly targeted but kept his composure. Doherty was reasonable but got overly involved with his opponent

Donnelly and Poland had their moments individually at midfield without really looking like a partnership, but it was noticeable that we almost collapsed when Donnnelly went off injured. Morgan bailed out us by consistently winning breaking ball and kicking two fine points against the breeze.

Maginn covered a huge amount of ground and took a series of heavy tackles, Mooney never got to grips with the contest but still managed two points while Millar started poorly but got better and better. It was a difficult day for Dornan but Harrison kept going when the ball was not running for him and completely turned the game with 1-2 from play in the space of a couple of minutes.

It was impressive that all our subs made an impact with McKibbin the pick of them, and there are going to be some tight selection calls against Cork next Sunday.

snoopdog

A good win in difficult enough condition. The pitch wasn't best either. Midfield is a worry. Won very very little all day. Gave away a Lot of ball in 1st half but that will improve with more games. Cork is a big game next Sunday. Need to win our home games. Some hard hitting today all over the park. Louth have a big midfield. They could surprise a few teams . I wouldn't wrote them off. Div 2 will be tough for all.

Aristo 60

Quote from: snoopdog on January 28, 2018, 08:35:29 PM
A good win in difficult enough condition. The pitch wasn't best either. Midfield is a worry. Won very very little all day. Gave away a Lot of ball in 1st half but that will improve with more games. Cork is a big game next Sunday. Need to win our home games. Some hard hitting today all over the park. Louth have a big midfield. They could surprise a few teams . I wouldn't wrote them off. Div 2 will be tough for all.

The facilities weren't the best either. What exactly does Louth do with funds received from HQ?

Makes ye proud of what we have in Newry. Well done Sean Og!   :P

Feckmylife

Quote from: downjim on January 26, 2018, 07:39:00 PM
Glenn must be some team

Jim I’m well aware that this is just you being a p***k but I’m gonna take it as a compliment. To have a dig at a club the size of ours for producing 3 county seniors is just laughable. Your own club has had many more county players than that over the last 5 or 6 years but it counts for very little if they leave their balls at home on the big days against Kilcoo

ardtole

I thought ohare looked very sharp when he was introduced, took his point very well, played a lovely pass to Mckernan for a point, possibly could have been a goal opportunity.
Flanagan had a good game at corner back and might push Mcardle for a starting berth. Mooney wasn't as effective in the forwards and I think we will him in the half back line again alongside ohanlon and mcparland, comfortably our strongest line of the team.

downjim

Quote from: Feckmylife on January 29, 2018, 06:49:23 PM
Glenn must be some team

Jim I'm well aware that this is just you being a p***k but I'm gonna take it as a compliment. To have a dig at a club the size of ours for producing 3 county seniors is just laughable. Your own club has had many more county players than that over the last 5 or 6 years but it counts for very little if they leave their balls at home on the big days against Kilcoo

Ok thanks for clearing that up

thebar

Quote from: downjim on January 29, 2018, 10:59:16 PM
Glenn must be some team

Jim I'm well aware that this is just you being a p***k but I'm gonna take it as a compliment. To have a dig at a club the size of ours for producing 3 county seniors is just laughable. Your own club has had many more county players than that over the last 5 or 6 years but it counts for very little if they leave their balls at home on the big days against Kilcoo

Ok thanks for clearing that up

Good man Jim.

elk

Glenn must be some team

Surprised CPN have no county players this year.

Targetman

With St Colman's getting beat yesterday it means not one of the 3 Down teams that were playing Mac Rory football this year have made the quarterfinals, that's a very poor reflection of schools football in this county, any opinions or possible reasons for this

thewobbler

Quote from: Targetman on January 30, 2018, 09:46:09 PM
With St Colman's getting beat yesterday it means not one of the 3 Down teams that were playing Mac Rory football this year have made the quarterfinals, that's a very poor reflection of schools football in this county, any opinions or possible reasons for this
Because when the College have a weak season, the Abbey never step up to the mantle. Has been the case for 50 years.

The College unfortunately are having more of those seasons than they used to, part in no small way to their catchment area now being shared with St Paul's. And it's not only Armagh ones. Conor Clarke, Liam Kerr last season. Two Ballyholland lads starting for them this season.