Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Well that's that. Certainly not gutted as anyone who saw the shambles agin Fermanagh and Clare wouldn't recognise the team in red and black at HQ today. So GRMA to all involved, we've had a good five months and pride is back.
We really need to look at our tactics in the third quarter and I think we need a more significant physical pool of lads who can play for 70 minutes. A couple of bad decisions cost us today and a 8 point defeat was as harsh as the 8 point defeat against Tyrone somewhat flattered us. The Hughes boys called the shots and Kelly's goal showed we have a wee bit of cuteness still to learn. Deegan was generous to them in the first half while Harrison showed he is the man for the big occasion as long as he's not double teamed and the supply is right. We were baying for him to hit those frees in the second half as he was on fire and Darragh was strangely hesitant - management teams must learn to read a game and the mental state of players- Connail's wild shot a case in point. But hey, every man jack of them, Eamonn Burns included, deserve praise and unlike last year we have plenty to build on.

Targetman

Poor second half cost us dearly, missed chances and a bollix of a referee all added to a timid exit from this years championship, progress made but a long way to go!

PAULD123

Gutted, yes. But for the first time in about 5 years at least I see hope.

The lads have a psychology pproblem. They need to take their talent and become winners. Division 2 is the ideal platform for that. A chance to build consecutive victories, to become ruthless and start to believe in themselves.

When within 2 points of Tyrone or Monaghan our boys showed plenty of belief and were well in it. But in both games the opposition hit a purple patch scoring 4-5 quick points and stretching the lead, both times our lads looked beat. Heads dropped and confidence sapped. They simply didn't look llike they believed they could turn it around.

That will only come from winning, and Division 2 is certainly a great opportnity to build those victories.

Apart from that the defence needs to learn to work together better to close down opposition without silly little fouls. Those are killing us.

Buut there was a bit of bad luck too. Twice in the last ten minutes Harrison had goal chances that could have gone anywhere, luck just didn't fall our way, ball went a little high and in the other boounced wide. But either or both could easily have sneaked in.

Some things worked well other things need work. But I think we do have some very good raw ingredients.

SHEEDY

Disappointing in the end to lose by 8pts, dont think we deserved that margin of defeat. Loads of positives to take from the year, hopefully this panel of players will stick at it and if we can add a few then we can continue to build next year.
Again we were disappointing in the 3rd quarter and this is something that needs addressed along with the conceding of soft frees.
For the 1st time in a while though the pride is back in down football and its great to see so many kids kitted out in down gear. Hopefully better times ahead.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

Maybe my posts are a bit rise tinted and I'must fooling myself but I do think we have a good chance at this team challenging in the future.

I don't think it is the third quarter we have a problem with specifically. I think it is teams taking a decent lead against us that is the problem. It just so happens that in the last two games this has happened in the third quarter. I would worry that if it happens in the 2nd or final quarter with would discover that it is being behind that is the problem not just energy lacking during minutes 45-60.

A team that can develop a "never beaten" mentality will always be a challenger. Think of Meath in the 90's, Mayo right now, our own county champions Kilcoo. That's what we are lacking. That never give in, never lie down, never stop believing attitude that drives teams on during periods when the opposition are having a purple patch and allows us a chance to turn it around.

If only we could see some Kilcoo style spirit in our county team then I think we would beat Monaghan and seriously be knocking on the door of an Ulster title.

ardtole

As someone mentioed earlier Conor Laverty would make a big difference playing in and around Harrisson.
Conor Garvey would be a welcome addition to the defence if he was still available.
The fact we have improved somewhat and there is a bit of optimism again, some players who may have opted out before might be easier to entice back.

forevergreen

Garvey and Laverty 2 great players but past is the past. We need to add to current group of players with fresh blood and get new leaders to emerge and drive the group on.

Ryan Brady, Daryl Brannigan, Piaras kane,  Tiarnan Rushe, Pierce Og McCrickard to name a few. All players capable of being developed into top county players

ardtole

i think laverty in particular would be a huge asset.

Caitlin

I see the Irish News allstars voting starts this week. We should have a few; Cunningham, O'Hagan, McKernan and Harrison must be in with a good shout. O'Hanlon, Mooney and R Johnston should be close. My player of the season for Down would be Conor Maginn but he doesn't always get noticed.
Vote early and often.

Targetman

Maginn had a good year but was surprisingly subbed yesterday, I don't want to be negative as we had a good year but what was the point in putting Joe Murphy on with 10 seconds left, Joe gives his all any time he's called upon and didn't deserve that, a ridiculous decision, he didn't look too happy going off the field and who could blame him

Smurfy123

You call winning 4 games a good year?And getting 2 hammerings.
The sooner people realise this management team are out of their depth the better .
Down have good players but a poor manager

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 31, 2017, 05:33:56 AM
The sooner people realise this management team are out of their depth the better .
Who would you suggest ? Would we not go back to square 1 again? Who else actually wants to be the Down manager?  Pete Mcgrath maybe but the co board treated him horrendously the last time he put his name in the hat.. I think Eamon has turned it around and surely deserves another year.

Targetman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 31, 2017, 05:33:56 AM
Yea winning 4 games compared to the previous year when we didn't win 1 is an improvement, that's why I called it a good year, i know only too well how far we are from being anywhere near the top tier, as for the management I'd be surprised if Burns doesn't get another year,what's the alternative?

Dubh driocht

Reflecting on the year, it's amazing to consider this fact.
At the weekend 160 footballers from eight of the top teams in Ireland took to the field in Croke Park.
Among them all,the top scorer from play was a Down Division 3 player who didn't kick a ball in the league or the McKenna cup.
Connaire Harrison is the first man from Glasdrumman to play senior championship football for Down.
While he may not get an All-Star nomination he should feature in the Irish News top 15.

5 Sams

Anybody at the Harps V An Ríocht game last night in Ballyholland. I was just looking for a neutral assessment of the last 2 or 3 minutes??? :-X :-X
The Aristocrat Years