Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Fair enough good point Wobbler
I'll not let on I know all other half forward lines in division 2
All I am saying is I would like to see 2 more attacking minded players to come into the team for the next 2 games?
And if we get hammered then go back to 12 behind the ball at least we know it does not work
Wobbler do you totally disagree?

thewobbler

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 23, 2017, 02:45:58 PM
Fair enough good point Wobbler
I'll not let on I know all other half forward lines in division 2
All I am saying is I would like to see 2 more attacking minded players to come into the team for the next 2 games?
And if we get hammered then go back to 12 behind the ball at least we know it does not work
Wobbler do you totally disagree?

Yeah I would agree.

We need at least 3 genuine scoring threats on the field, otherwise all the defensive / counter-attack game does is put even more pressure on the defence to keep the opposition in check.

Ideally these lads would be workhorses too, but if 12 men can't protect their own 45, then we are in trouble.

rosskarr

whitegoodman

The best forward in the county by a distance should at this stage be starting and its strange that people would see the likes of Davidson ahead of him.

I do agree that there needs to be someone up front to help O Hagan at the expense of one of murphy or Miller.  I'd also have Devlin on but at the expense of Maginn rather than a midfielder.  McParland for Carr as well.

Smurfy123

On the basis of what would you have McParland in white?

whitegoodman

His performances at midfield for Glenn last year

Smurfy123

McAnulty from Ballyholland give him the run around in Newry when they met in the championship.He could not keep up with him and I think McAnulty ended up scoring 3 points from play and that's not the norm for him.McParland was a great underage talent and looked to be the next number 6 for Down for many years but that doesn't look like happening.He would need 2-3 years playing centre half back for Glenn with no distractions.A county defender maybe but he is not even in the top 10 midfielders in Down club football and that's saying alot

whitegoodman

Give me 5 names that are available that you think are better than him.

Smurfy123

McKay Burren
Toner Burren
Mallon CPN
Greenan Kilcoo
Morgan Kilcoo
Parr Rostrevor
Madine Saval (great midfielder)
C Poland longstone
Rooney Burren
McAnulty Ballyholland
Hardy Castlewellan
Burns Castlewellan
Ireland ford
Sommers ford
Doherty Downpatrick

All as equal i would say
Nothing special for all that

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 25, 2017, 11:49:44 PM
McKay Burren
Toner Burren
Mallon CPN
Greenan Kilcoo
Morgan Kilcoo
Parr Rostrevor
Madine Saval (great midfielder)
C Poland longstone
Rooney Burren
McAnulty Ballyholland
Hardy Castlewellan
Burns Castlewellan
Ireland ford
Sommers ford
Doherty Downpatrick

All as equal i would say
Nothing special for all that

Your winding me up??

east down gael

Davidson was our top scorer in mckenna cup.got dropped because of the clare game were everyone played poorly.the team played well in the two subsequent games,and he hasn't had a look in since. He is obviously a scoring threat,and can hit frees and 45's.how people are saying he shouldn't be starting is beyond me.especially when we are getting dangerously close to the armagh championship game where every score or missed score will count.

Smurfy123

No Hedgehunter.
Is it that far left field?
A few wild cards fired in alright

whitegoodman

Quote from: east down gael on March 25, 2017, 11:58:22 PM
Davidson was our top scorer in mckenna cup.got dropped because of the clare game were everyone played poorly.the team played well in the two subsequent games,and he hasn't had a look in since. He is obviously a scoring threat,and can hit frees and 45's.how people are saying he shouldn't be starting is beyond me.especially when we are getting dangerously close to the armagh championship game where every score or missed score will count.

Is he better than O Hagan or Jerome ??

OgraAnDun

All we need is to beat or draw with Cork and for Derry to beat Fermanagh. Easy.

Before the start of the league, people would have said the Fermanagh, Clare, Meath and Derry games were the only ones we could win, particularly the latter three. Lose 50% of your winnable games and you can't complain about facing the drop on the last day of the league.

Mourne Rover

It is fairly typical of our season that we lost a game today by eight points which we could easily have won. The crucial moment was our best move when Barry O'Hagan took a brilliant catch and gave a pass to Ryan Johnston which left him with only the keeper to beat. A goal would have brought us level with 20 minutes to go, the wind behind us and a man up. Johnston is normally an excellent finisher but he hit it straight at the keeper, we missed the subsequent 45 and the match slipped away from us.

It was not a good day for us defensively, although Cunningham was unlucky with the first penalty and black card as he came off his line to make a decent save and his momentum carried him into the forward. The kick out came straight back in again, our central defenders hesitated and we had conceded two goals in less than a minute.

Several of our backs are happier pushing up than actually marking, and our midfield worked hard but frequently struggled against two opponents who had height and pace on their side.

Our forwards cover a huge amount of ground, but other than O'Hagan do not bring much of a scoring threat. A win in Cork is overdue and not out of the question but the indications are that we are slipping to a second consecutive relegation.