Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oileain blues

So it was passed that the clubs will pay an extra 2500 each to help pay the debt we currently have.I have a few observations,
1. Why did the top table have a vote on an individual basis when they didn't represent a club
2. Why is there still people at the top table who presided over Burrenbridge and left our county in a terrible financial mess. One of these represents Down at Croke Park!!!
3. If our secretary and chairman think that Croke park will restructure our debt because we can show we not only can service our existing debt but can show our clubs will pay more, both are living in a different world that I live in
4.It seems that a lot of clubs reluctantly agreed to pay more, there are clubs who currently are struggling and this may be not be motion that puts them out of business but this increased payment together with the increased public liability and players insurance may cause closure and that would be catastrophic.
5. It's time for greater transparency of county finances, I would like to know where every penny is going and be assured we are getting value for money and every major capital expenditure is discussed and agreed at county board level so a Burrenbridge can never happen again.
6. Lastly what is our 3 or 5 year plan for the acquisition of land for a centre of excellence , paying of debt is great and will please our accountants and our debtors but it won't help us develop as a county on and of the field.At this rate the DUP will have agreed to an all Ireland with the tricolour flying above the city hall before we have a centre of excellence but we can always hope !!!

Down Follower

The Clubs ARE the County.  Who else is going to clear the debt? Of course mistakes have been made, but we have to move on at some point.  It appears they have opened the books for all clubs to see, no hiding places anymore.

johnneycool

Quote from: Down Follower on March 08, 2017, 10:09:33 AM
The Clubs ARE the County.  Who else is going to clear the debt? Of course mistakes have been made, but we have to move on at some point.  It appears they have opened the books for all clubs to see, no hiding places anymore.

There'll be no hiding places any more if the detailed Annual financial statements (signed) are shared with the clubs a week before the County congress to allow them to be dissected by the clubs in advance of the congress.

That needs to happen.

There was very little details on the last one I saw just generic terms like team expenses and so forth. Those things need broken down a lot more.

johnneycool

Quote from: wobbller on March 08, 2017, 10:47:11 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 10:33:05 AM

There'll be no hiding places any more if the detailed Annual financial statements (signed) are shared with the clubs a week before the County congress to allow them to be dissected by the clubs in advance of the congress.

That needs to happen.

There was very little details on the last one I saw just generic terms like team expenses and so forth. Those things need broken down a lot more.
Like that will happen in the same way as each Club produces Accounts every year with similar terminology and indeed in much the same way that the Accounts are numbered and collected very quickly afterwards such as Senior Team Training costs 8k when in fact it should say "journeyman Manager' gets 50 pound per night.Move on and accept the fact that it is the Clubs of Down who are Down and it is them in conjunction with the County Board that sorts this all out finally.

Our club doesn't.
We bring the club accountant and they along with the treasurer take questions about the financial statements which members can get on soft copy or hard copy in advance of the meeting taking place as per the rules governing social clubs and so forth.
Does Club Maith not cover this as well?

clowry13

I see Gerard mcGovern picked up a bad shoulder injury on Sunday and may be out for several weeks. Hopefully he gets back to full fitness soon as he's a very important player to this Down side.

Hoes before bros

I'm not suggesting it's an us versus them or club versus county scenario but each club committee has the responsibility to look after their own club and how their own club is run. It is not their responsibility to fix mistakes made by the county board. Clubs already pay a considerable fee to field teams and are forced to sell a minimum number of down draw tickets. Now they are forcing each club to pay an extra £2500 a year? This is simple just passing their debt onto the clubs and is going to cripple some of the smaller clubs

johnneycool

Quote from: wobbller on March 08, 2017, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 11:27:14 AM

That needs to happen.

Like that will happen in the same way as each Club produces Accounts every year with similar terminology and indeed in much the same way that the Accounts are numbered and collected very quickly afterwards such as Senior Team Training costs 8k when in fact it should say "journeyman Manager' gets 50 pound per night.Move on and accept the fact that it is the Clubs of Down who are Down and it is them in conjunction with the County Board that sorts this all out finally.

Our club doesn't.
We bring the club accountant and they along with the treasurer take questions about the financial statements which members can get on soft copy or hard copy in advance of the meeting taking place as per the rules governing social clubs and so forth.
Your Club may not but the majority do pay Managers and my point remains in that WE need this sorted and it is US and THEM(County Board) that will have to do it.

Paying managers and so forth is only part of it.

What else is covered in these large pots of expenditure that we're not meant to know anything about?

It's all too easy to allow mismanagement of the counties finances if they're not properly scrutinised on a yearly basis by the clubs who end up picking up the tab anyway.

johnneycool

Quote from: interested on March 10, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 03:57:12 PM
Quote from: wobbller on March 08, 2017, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 11:27:14 AM

That needs to happen.

Our club doesn't.
Your Club may not but the majority do pay Managers and my point remains in that WE need this sorted and it is US and THEM(County Board) that will have to do it.

Paying managers and so forth is only part of it.

What else is covered in these large pots of expenditure that we're not meant to know anything about?

It's all too easy to allow mismanagement of the counties finances if they're not properly scrutinised on a yearly basis by the clubs who end up picking up the tab anyway.
You seemed to have killed the conversation there johnny.

I've a habit of doing that :)

Smurfy123

If anyone believes our senior management team is not getting paid needs there head seen
We could have a top class management team for the amount we are paying out
And that's before the payment towards club Down staff
So the extra £2500 per month is basically going towards that
Well done

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 10, 2017, 08:21:19 AM
If anyone believes our senior management team is not getting paid needs there head seen
Well done

I don't think anyone has stated that the county management are not on generous "expenses".

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 10, 2017, 08:21:19 AM
Well done
Settle the head there Smurfy.

Hedgehunter

Is there an U21 squad about anywhere?? All very quiet...

Smurfy123

The under 21s should have a good team out Wednesday night
All is not well with the management team from what a player has told me
1 man running the show while the main man does not show up half the time

Targetman

Brick Tamlin

Down wont beat Armagh on Wednesday night.