Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Down4sam2020 on March 05, 2017, 07:06:09 PM
How will We do against a very high scoring Armagh team -12 different scorers facing a team who finished jointly with 8 points last year in the league but failed to be promoted due to points difference ?

We'll get a taste of it next week seeing as Kildare seem to be racking up a few big scores.

snoopdog

Its a weird division. Very difficult to predict what way any game will go. Would 6 pts be enough to stay up with our scoring diff. Gonna be interesting.

rosskarr

Quote from: rosskarr on February 25, 2017, 09:03:22 PM
Great Down win.The players stood up and were counted.

And stood up today again and literally at times walked all over Derry.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 05, 2017, 06:44:03 PM
A great week for Down football.Now to pick up another 2 points and get ready for the Orangeman
Sean Og you legend keep picking the team
He wanted the changes at HT against Clare and he got them and ever since then we have started to perform
What a turnaround
WE ARE BACK
ffs are you 12?? We hadn't won in over a year but 2 wins in a week and suddenly 'we're back'. Encouraging performances in the last 2 games but still work to do. Staying in the division will be a step in the right direction after a poor start to the league campaign.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Well done to team and management.  I'd still suggest we would be safe at this stage if the right team was picked in the first two games.

If we can consolidate in Div 2 and beat Armagh I would consider that a successful year under the circumstances.

Mourne Rover

After all the upheaval of the last two years, we occasionally forget that we still have some fine footballers in our squad. There may not be as many of them as before, and we do not always pick the most sensible team, but we are well capable of competing in this division when we get it right.

Celtic Park was our second consecutive decent result, admittedly against modest opposition on both days, but you can only beat what is is in front of you and there was more than a hint of a rising spirit about our display.

Cunningham, after a difficult night against Fermanagh, was excellent, and looked the part behind a full back line which was a little more open that we would have hoped. Our half backs were brilliant, with O'Hanlon and Mooney outstanding from start to finish.

We competed well in midfield and our forwards had a work ethic which was hugely encouraging. McKernan did the simple things very effectively, Johnston was quality personified and Barry O'Hagan had his best Down game by a considerable margin.

This is a strange league, and we could yet be either relegated or more disastrously promoted, but mid-table would suit us quite nicely. Fair play to all concerned.

wobbller

Well done to the management and players,will now break my promise not to go to any more games until Championship and now look forward to the Kildare game.

Down Follower

Quote from: wobbller on March 06, 2017, 11:47:08 AM
Well done to the management and players,will now break my promise not to go to any more games until Championship and now look forward to the Kildare game.

What a difference a week makes  ;D

thewobbler

As with my namesake, would like to say well done to the senior team for turning this around.

The injection of pace that Johnston and Mooney brings to the team obviously makes us more of an attacking threat. Delighted to see it.

oileain blues

Great to see our team back to wining ways, we are peaking at the right time with Armagh coming up shortly , can see us just edging that encounter , back to more mundane matters, what do ye think about proposals to increase the fees clubs pay to the county , is this a move for clubs to dig deeper to pay for the Burrenbridge debacle, too much secrecy sand not enough transparency when it comes to county finance, but there must be a solution to our off field problems , any suggestions?

rosskarr

Quote from: oileain blues on March 07, 2017, 06:44:13 AM
Great to see our team back to wining ways, we are peaking at the right time with Armagh coming up shortly , can see us just edging that encounter , back to more mundane matters, what do ye think about proposals to increase the fees clubs pay to the county , is this a move for clubs to dig deeper to pay for the Burrenbridge debacle, too much secrecy sand not enough transparency when it comes to county finance, but there must be a solution to our off field problems , any suggestions?
The solution from those at the top table is to increase the yearly fees and to start a process that will let us all sort the mess out once and for all.From what I hear there was a lot of transparency in what was released.A quarter of a century of bad housekeeping now coming home to roost.

TheClutch

Quote from: rosskarr on March 07, 2017, 08:08:42 AM
Quote from: oileain blues on March 07, 2017, 06:44:13 AM
The solution from those at the top table is to increase the yearly fees and to start a process that will let us all sort the mess out once and for all.From what I hear there was a lot of transparency in what was released.A quarter of a century of bad housekeeping now coming home to roost.

All clubs who attended the meeting in Burrendale last week got a pretty comprehensive and transparent report to bring home. Ask your club reps to see the documents, very in depth and at long last all details set out on the table.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

Hoes before bros

I don't think a lack of transparency is the issue at all. We all know the financial state that the county are in and I'd say the clubs didn't learn much that they didn't already know before last weeks meeting in the Burrendale. The issue is they are asking the clubs to pay their debt. Some of the bigger clubs will be fine with that but I'd say there are a lot that simple can't afford it.

SamFever

Quote from: Hoes before bros on March 07, 2017, 11:12:04 PM
I don't think a lack of transparency is the issue at all. We all know the financial state that the county are in and I'd say the clubs didn't learn much that they didn't already know before last weeks meeting in the Burrendale. The issue is they are asking the clubs to pay their debt. Some of the bigger clubs will be fine with that but I'd say there are a lot that simple can't afford it.
The  Clubs should have to pay on a sliding scale.But where or who does that start with and as important who is at the lower end?

Hoes before bros

I wouldn't be aware of the facts of how much they are expecting each club to pay or if each club is expected to pay the same amount. But I know there are clubs in this county struggling financially. I'm sure these clubs would much prefer to sort out there own finances or upgrade their own facilities than pay off the counties debts