Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Derry might be vulnerable you say?Are you for real?They are the worst team in this league by a mlle(well maybe Meath might push them)
A lot of problems still to fix.We have decent players in this county who need guided the right way and the current management are not the men to lead it.Why was this team not played in the first 2 games?If it was I have no doubt we would be sitting on 4 points and another  1 win to secure safety.Instead we now need to win 2 of our last 4 games.Whose to blame for that?
Last night will not paper over the cracks
Whitegoodman made a great point if we could bring in those 5-6 lads he mentioned we would be a top 10 team in Ireland but at the minute we are a top 18

whitegoodman

I wouldn't go quite as far as top 8 but we should be able hold our own in div 2, top 12-14 perhaps.

Also I wouldn't be shouting that Derry are by far the worst in the division until their result today and more importantly next weeks result.

At this stage it doesn't look like Madine or Toner will be added to the panel but if Jerome and McParland come in then that immediately improves the team.  It's also a toss up between O Hagan and Donal O Hare.  Despite kicking a few points last night  O Hagan has yet to really convince.

thebar

Quote from: oileain blues on February 26, 2017, 02:36:09 AM
Few doom and gloom merchants on here have been proven wrong tonight, particularly Mr Woobler , we all want to see Down do well, realism with a tinge of patience is what's needed. We are a work in progress , we have some some terrific footbaiilers but at this stage not enough of them, congrats to the management and players on beating Meath , take the the praise because you have had loads of criticism on here, as the wise men on here will tell ye , your only as good as your next game, I for one hope there's better to come when we meet Armagh but for now I will take that win and move on to Derry who without the Slaughtneil players might be vulnerable.

You do know the last time we won a competitive match in league or championship til last night?

West Down Rover

Well done!  Great effort a with good starting selection and choice of subs.  We need the Senior team to do well as a rising tide lifts all and provides encouragement for our development squads.  Hope that we as a County are on the way up.

gaaman2016

Pleased to have been proved wrong, although a step in right direction, I fear the defeat in Clare will ultimately mean Div 3 next year

OgraAnDun

Quote from: gaaman2016 on February 26, 2017, 04:06:10 PM
Pleased to have been proved wrong, although a step in right direction, I fear the defeat in Clare will ultimately mean Div 3 next year

Agreed, can't see two wins on the cards against Derry, Kildare, Galway and Cork.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 26, 2017, 10:44:06 AM
Derry might be vulnerable you say?Are you for real?They are the worst team in this league by a mlle(well maybe Meath might push them)
A lot of problems still to fix.We have decent players in this county who need guided the right way and the current management are not the men to lead it.Why was this team not played in the first 2 games?If it was I have no doubt we would be sitting on 4 points and another  1 win to secure safety.Instead we now need to win 2 of our last 4 games.Whose to blame for that?
Last night will not paper over the cracks
Whitegoodman made a great point if we could bring in those 5-6 lads he mentioned we would be a top 10 team in Ireland but at the minute we are a top 18
so much for 'derry being the worst team in the division by a mile'. They had an excellent last gasp win today against a previously unbeaten kildare so its pretty obvious we'll need to be on top form to get anything next week. Not playing our strongest team against fermanagh and clare is going to come back to haunt us I fear.
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Is that the same Kildare team who got hammered by the Dublin 3rd team a few weeks ago?
Let's be honest lads barring Galway this is a very below average league
The standard is so bad and if you think otherwise then you very much mistaking
Yes it's going to be an exciting league as most teams are shockingly poor and wouldn't count in division 1

Mourne Rover

There's no doubt that there is not much between most of the teams in D2, so it is a huge problem that we got nothing from our first two games against sides who will probably be delighted if they avoid relegation. Our win over Meath gave us a big lift but the results today mean that we are still likely to go down if we do not beat Derry next week.

One other small point from last night was that the programme did a two-page feature on Damien Watson, which was a nice way of recognising his service as a taxi driver to our senior squad for the last 25 years. However, the article completely failed to mention that Damien was not only a distinguished player with Bredagh and Down but actually captained his county for a period in the late 1970s. He may be a good taxi driver but he was a better footballer.

Mourne Red

One swallow doesn't make a summer... but it can make your night ;) Yes great result but need to carry this on, Armagh seem to be struggling against weaker teams than what we are against so few more good results in the league we will be set up nicely for the Ulster Quarter Final

Down4sam2020

We may have got a good result on Saturday however we need to back it up with a win over Derry which won't be easy especially after there win over Kildare. The speed of downs breakout from defence was encouraging and we also seemed to have plenty of pace throughout the side which isn't something we haven't been blessed with in recent times. Burns plan is coming into action and I am fully convinced we will see the full plan in action on the 4th June were will will hammer the old enemy in the marshes.

Targetman

We'll not worry about that third division outfit just yet,let's get 2 points in Derry on Sunday and we'll have a realistic chance of survival,good to see Burns playing the strongest team still need to be more clinical in front of goal,all in all a step in the right direction!

redandblackareback

It will actually help if you get behind the team. Fancy a win in Derry next week and the way the division is sitting, do not rule out a surprised return to division one! Keep the faith

OgraAnDun

Alright there Caolan, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Promotion would be almost as bad as relegation anyway, if not worse.

snoopdog

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 28, 2017, 06:40:12 PM
It will actually help if you get behind the team. Fancy a win in Derry next week and the way the division is sitting, do not rule out a surprised return to division one! Keep the faith
That would be a nightmare scenario. Hammered every week. Down need a couple of years at the level they are at to bring them on. Last season in div 1 was a disaster.