Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Mickey Moran is also a great shout.Take Deegans and Walsh in with him
It's a long time since things have been this bad
Why did we not start with the team that ended the game?
It just doesn't add up

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 12, 2017, 09:56:42 PM
Wobbler, my post said that our u21 and minor managers were unlikely to step up, meaning that Paddy is one of our few available options. It is hardly an ideal one, as taking on club and county posts at the same time would be a big ask, but it would only be for a limited period and is clearly not impossible. As you acknowledge, alternative suggestions are in short supply.

Your criticisms of James are also harsh, as his overall record with Down was excellent and looks even better in retrospect. Even in his last season, when our squad was nothing special, he was capable of getting a championship draw in Omagh which should have been a win. It is unlikely that we would get within 12 points of Tyrone if we went back there this summer.

It is also worth noting that we have only played six championship matches at Croke Park since the open draw was introduced in 2001 and five of them were under James.

And the other one was a seven point beating at the hands of heavyweights Wexford.

I think Jame's last couple of years weren't bad. If you look at the teams we were beaten by in the championship from 2014 back to 2012, it was Tyrone, Kildare (2014), Donegal, Derry (playing them in Celtic Park for the second time in three games that summer) in 2013 and Donegal and Mayo in 2012 (AI finalists). No bad teams in that. 2012 league semi finalists also and managed to pick up 4 points in the league in 2013 in Div 1.

thewobbler

one thing is absolutely for sure... Wee James's last two seasons were much better than Wee Pete's. Time is a great healer but it's amazing how the past few seasons under Burns have made people forget about just how awful those final McGrath seasons were.

Anyhow the lack of viable options is the very reason the County Board should not act at this time (though I really wish they had have shown the same restraint / consideration  when moving McCorry along). I just find it so hard to believe that Eamon would want to continue. I doubt the players would even need to run a "coup" so much as have a quiet word.

SHEEDY

I'd have wee james or paddy o'rourke back in a heartbeat. One thing is for sure the current malaise cant be allowed to continue. we are nowhere near as bad as the current situation but unfortunately at the minute we are the laughing stock of the country and something needs to change. After going 11 league and championship games without a win I think its obvious that the current management isn't working. Change needed.
nil satis nisi optimum

SamFever

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 12, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
I'd have wee james or paddy o'rourke back in a heartbeat. One thing is for sure the current malaise cant be allowed to continue. we are nowhere near as bad as the current situation but unfortunately at the minute we are the laughing stock of the country and something needs to change. After going 11 league and championship games without a win I think its obvious that the current management isn't working. Change needed.
But will happen to some to the "paid"" help if Burns steps asides or is asked to leave?

Smurfy123

I take it that the whole package will step aside if they decide to go
Not much point 1 man stepping down and the rest staying
It's not as if Murray has added much

saulzer

OK, it's clear that the current management will take us on an express train to division 3 (& then Div 4 if God forbid they stayed on) so the question arises as to whether the CB have the courage & leadership to stop this spiral of failure. I would say no because that would mean admitting they made a grievous mistake (something that seems to be beyond them) therefore the only catalyst for change will be the players. Hope they press their club chairman to pressurise the CB into action. We're at the stage that anything is better than what we have now.

downjim

Frank Dawson is also another option

SamFever

Quote from: downjim on February 13, 2017, 12:58:25 AM
Another journey man to replace the bundle of them that are there at present.Go ask Tullylish,Rostrevor and Saul and see their views on three of the leading lights of our current set-up and ask what these men have done for their respective Clubs both on the field and out of the Bank Account? Dawson is similar this past 3 or 4 years.

Brick Tamlin

What or who is your suggestion then Samfever?

I have to say its bloody surreal to see all the chat around this in here.
The whole thing is a disgrace on so many levels.

Lecale Gael

you have lost the right to add further to the debate with that suggestion  :o
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Lecale Gael on February 13, 2017, 11:39:47 AM

you have lost the right to add further to the debate with that suggestion  :o

Some genius on Hoganstand was suggesting Jody Gormley.

passedit

Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM
Antrim tried both of those boys......

Which is exactly where Down are headed. Anyone who thinks a change of management is the answer probably thinks you can stand on top of Mount Etna and put it out with a fire hose.
Don't Panic

Cb66

Didn't think it could get worse after last Saturday against Fermanagh but at half time of yesterday's game it was certainly a new low. Picked up in second half although not sure whether it was due to us or the fact Clare flooded their bench and played the last 35 in 4th gear. Really unsure why the likes of Ryan Johnstone, Kevin McKernan, Darragh O'Hanlon didn't start the game. Even more unsure why someone like Mark Poland didn't travel with the squad unless there was an injury involved of course. I like both Aidan Carr and Flynn, they work hard and are good honest footballers who give it all but it's clear to see midfield is not their positions and they would both be better suited in half back or half forward lines.
Has to be the end of the road for Burns although no point wishing for any coach of any note. Hate to say it, and even though they aren't going great guns at the minute themselves, I am not looking forward to Armagh in the marshes at this rate.

gaaman2016

Quote from: passedit on February 13, 2017, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM
Antrim tried both of those boys......

Which is exactly where Down are headed. Anyone who thinks a change of management is the answer probably thinks you can stand on top of Mount Etna and put it out with a fire hose.

Agreed, likly to be Division 3 and possibly 4. A big problem nowis that confidence is shot and there is a lack of experience both on the line and on the field to correct it. A change in manager may or may not help but it is pretty clear that the management are out of their depth at intercounty level