Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Cool

Well done to Bredagh on winning the Junior Hurling. Hopefully they can do well in Ulster.
Both Bredagh and Warrenpoint have been putting it up to the Ards clubs in juvenile hurling for the past 2 or 3 years. It's the result of hard work put in coaching kids 5 or 6 years ago and both clubs are still at it. Keep up the hard work lads and you get what you work for.

I hear Ned Morgan will be ref for the Senior final!  :-\
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Well done to Bredagh on lifting the junior championship title, now to kick on and go further in the Ulster junior championship.
Long term the problems facing Bredagh is to integrate the young fella's coming through U-16 and minor etc onto the team to keep them involved in the game as those are the ages you'll lose most players and with a dert of fixtures within the county for young lads that age they'll need threw into adult hurling in carerfully selected games.

It'll be good to have another club contributing to both the county underage and adult teams and more power to their elbow.

orangeman

off the laces

what the f*** is going on with the div 3 playoffs Firstly we are told they are down for 30th sept and will not be brought forward then it is brought forward to this saturday at 2.00pm then we are now hearing it will probably be played on sunday either at 1pm or 2pm no one knows yet and they are still not sure where it will be played. i think a game involving Dundrum and Saul should be in either downpatrick or ballykinlar although i hear brights new pitch looks pretty well, tullylish and breadagh match in either castlewellan or dromara but hey who are we to second guess the people in charge we are only the paying supporters and players who have to constantly change are plans because some pen pusher thinks it would be good to stage a double header to charge more money at the gate. and lets be honest the championship was not the best standard this year so playoffs in september are hardly going to be memorable.
To sum up give the players and supporters a chance and get it sorted fixtures commitee.
whats your take down fanatic
Keeps 'er' straight

Square Ball

As anyone heard anything at all about the Div 3 play offs yet? it has always been the 22nd, 29th and the 6th, so i am a little concerned with Of the Laces post stating they may be moved.

It is a farce that here we are 5 days away from the proposed date and no times or venues out yet, is it the same for the other play offs?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

passedit

QuoteAny word of Wee James ??

He was in fine fettle yesterday. Rumours of his demise etc etc.
Don't Panic

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Congrats to Bredagh on a well deserved win on Saturday. At no stage did they look to be under real pressure and even when the Point scored the goal they replied with a point themsleves staright away afterwards. Some good performance from Danny Hughes, Liam Mc Collum (hope for us old timers yet!) along with Eoghan Donnelly and Ian Galway - some great hurling men in that club and it is good to see them getting the reward their efforts clearly deserve.

The Point in fairness were very poor and some of their striking or lack of had to be seen to be beleived. Didn't help themselves by leaving some of the best minors in the county on the sideline and putting Karl Maxwell into corner forward, crazy stuff. In the 1st half when they had the breeze they hit wide after wide to the same side particularly from frees it must have been really frustrating if you were a point supporter.

I expect Bredagh to beat the winners of the Killeavey V Portadown match (Armagh final) and move onwards, the big challenge for them will be integrating their young players into the side made more difficult in the fact that they will be up a division next year. Some of the older lads will probably find the step up a bit difficult on the legs as well so I think consolidation will be Bredagh's first priority next year and blooding some of the younger lads.

passedit

QuoteAs anyone heard anything at all about the Div 3 play offs yet? it has always been the 22nd, 29th and the 6th, so i am a little concerned with Of the Laces post stating they may be moved.

First games confirmed for the 23rd. Interestingly the Div 3 playoffs have been confirmed as three way between St Pauls Drumgath and Mitchels despite a new set of bylaws being published allowing for a three way playoff (Bright are already gone) at the bottom.

The words piss up and brewery spring to mind.
Don't Panic

Square Ball

Passedit

is this all the play off games? where did you get the comfirmation from?

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 17, 2007, 08:06:59 AM

It's true Colonel. I wonder when Ned last refereed a senior game of any significance!!

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2007, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 17, 2007, 08:06:59 AM

It's true Colonel. I wonder when Ned last refereed a senior game of any significance!!

I'm surprised by that appointment. Ned's a decent sort who has been refereeing for 20 years but I thought he didn't like going to the Ards? When was the last time you saw him in Ballygalget Johnnycool? This is clearly a reward for long service and I suppose there aren't that many hurling refs in the county.
I really think we should bring in an outsider to referee the senior final. Many other counties do that.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Bacon can't believe they have appointed Ned, nice enough guy but a poor ref in my opinion certainly for that quality of match. County Hurling final is the biggest day for hurling people in the county and there should have been efforts to secure a top class ref. Don't see why they didn't ask Ray Matthews, would have been a great choice IMO.

Bacon

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

passedit

Quoteis this all the play off games? where did you get the comfirmation from?

Clubs have been informed.

Double header sunday
Tullylish v Bredagh 1pm Newcastle
Saul v Dundrum 3pm? Newcastle
Don't Panic

Square Ball

got it comfirmed earlier on, thanks