Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

You seem to have a wee dig at everyone Sam and you can't back it up
You said a lot of the team I mentioned won't even be near the pitch?Who would you be referring to btw?

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 28, 2016, 08:43:17 AM
You seem to have a wee dig at everyone Sam and you can't back it up
You said a lot of the team I mentioned won't even be near the pitch?Who would you be referring to btw?
Settle yourself.

elk

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 27, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
Harps beaten by a point tonight. I was very impressed by Glenn. Well drilled outfit, big strong athletic, taking scores from distance. We might have deserved a draw but no complaints apart from the clown in the middle.
Personally speaking I think a lot of teams will beat the harps 2nd time round.

Smurfy123

And why would you think that Elk?

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

SHEEDY

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 29, 2016, 07:35:20 PM
Any news from Clones?
not looking good. Monaghan 1-6 down 0-2 @ ht
nil satis nisi optimum

SHEEDY

Minors bow out of Ulster in 1st round. Monaghan 1-13 down 0-11 ft. Hopefully better result next week.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Reports suggest that we improved considerably in the closing stages, got within four points and were pushing hard for a goal when we suffered a late red card which finished us off. However, the sad fact is that the last eight sides we have fielded in the Ulster senior, u21 and minor championship have all gone out in the first round. We are rated as 7/2 outsiders for the trip to Clones next Sunday, which is probably realistic. We are capable of putting it up to Monaghan on a good day, but our pattern of championship results at all levels over the last three seasons reflects poorly on our structures.

Cb66

I don't think James' selection policy can be criticised to be honest. The reality is Burren are the best minor club team in the county and Carryduff are the only team close to them. Therefore, it makes sense that a good bulk of the team are made up from there. Having players from Saul, Darragh Cross and Bright on the pitch tonight showed that James surely cast his eye over a wide range of footballers in order to pick what he thought was the best panel for this year. And who are we to argue with a man of James McCartan's knowledge when it comes to football. From travelling down to the match tonight, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the young lads. I understand the reasoning behind the match being on tonight but a big part of playing minor county championship football is being able to play in front of a bumper crowd before the seniors come on. This group will never get to experience that unfortunately.

wobbller

Quote from: Cb66 on May 30, 2016, 12:34:22 AM
I don't think James' selection policy can be criticised to be honest. The reality is Burren are the best minor club team in the county and Carryduff are the only team close to them. Therefore, it makes sense that a good bulk of the team are made up from there. Having players from Saul, Darragh Cross and Bright on the pitch tonight showed that James surely cast his eye over a wide range of footballers in order to pick what he thought was the best panel for this year. And who are we to argue with a man of James McCartan's knowledge when it comes to football. From travelling down to the match tonight, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the young lads. I understand the reasoning behind the match being on tonight but a big part of playing minor county championship football is being able to play in front of a bumper crowd before the seniors come on. This group will never get to experience that unfortunately.
My post states what I think were mistakes made but your assertion that we can't argue how James managed is a bit off.

6th sam

If We had converted one of our goal opportunities , I feel it would have given us the momentum to win the game , as we dominated the final quarter . Lack of first half scores proved crucial, with a clear cut penalty turned down.
Some excellent displays, and potential future stars.
Reports indicate that James and his backroom set up were impressive this year, and at least one further championship match would have brought these lads on . Regrettably the current ulster championship structure doesn't afford these players another opportunity-despite the fact that other provinces operate an extended championship series!
Having listened to Joe Brolly yesterday , I think yesterday's game reinforces that the GAA really needs to look at our structures.
Essentially a minor squad & management prepare for months for a once-off game. This game was at
7pm on a Sunday evening , involving for some players a round trip of nearly 200miles, during exam time.
Despite the negative view of our first round defeats in the last two minor campaigns , it's not all doom and gloom, as both teams performed reasonably well , with several quality players hopefully emerging.

rosskarr

Laverty(in the 2nd half),McCabe and McCrickard were the stand out players.Other Big names were average.

thebar

Quote from: 6th sam on May 30, 2016, 10:51:49 AM
If We had converted one of our goal opportunities , I feel it would have given us the momentum to win the game , as we dominated the final quarter . Lack of first half scores proved crucial, with a clear cut penalty turned down.
Reports indicate that James and his backroom set up were impressive this year, and at least one further championship match would have brought these lads on . Regrettably the current ulster championship structure doesn't afford these players another opportunity-despite the fact that other provinces operate an extended championship series!
Having listened to Joe Brolly yesterday , I think yesterday's game reinforces that the GAA really needs to look at our structures.
Essentially a minor squad & management prepare for months for a once-off game. This game was at
7pm on a Sunday evening , involving for some players a round trip of nearly 200miles, during exam time.
Despite the negative view of our first round defeats in the last two minor campaigns , it's not all doom and gloom, as both teams performed reasonably well , with several quality players hopefully emerging.

Why was the minor game last night and not this Sunday before the Seniors?

armaghniac

Quote from: thebar on May 30, 2016, 03:19:08 PM
Why was the minor game last night and not this Sunday before the Seniors?

Leaving Cert.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SamFever

Quote from: 6th sam on May 30, 2016, 10:51:49 AM
6th, what quality players can you hope that will emerge from the  '15 and '16 Minor squads?