Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

east down gael

Wouldn't say strange,St John's at home are very capable of pulling off a win against a good few teams in that division.

Cb66

Wouldn't say St. John's beating tullylish at home is a strange result but the margin of victory (15 points) is surprising. Division 2 seems like it is going to be a topsy turvy league this year. Loughinisland and An Riocht will be delighted with their starts. Downpatrick having 3 points from their opening 4 games must be a worry for them, I would have had them down for one of the favourites for promotion at the start! Excellent result for the town tonight against Bryansford!

east down gael

Yeah,I'd agree the margin is a surprise.possibly due to having games on a Monday night after a fixture on the friday some teams with an older squad might suffer a loss you wouldn't expect them to.
Keeps things interesting at both ends of the table.
Downpatrick,the same as any team who suffer relegation,have no right to think they will bounce straight back up.moreso when you are relegated from a sixteen team division one. All the teams who have come down from division one have found out fairly quickly that they are not above the level they are at.

interested

Quote from: Cb66 on April 07, 2016, 06:13:52 PM
Div 1- for  me kilcoo best team in the county again this year. Agree with others that league not their priority and could be one of Burren, bryansford or the bridge to make the title theirs. Think ballymartin and longstone the sides most in danger of relegation.

Div 2- rostrevor and one of rgu or loughinisland to get promoted. St. John's to get relegated alongside one of Darragh Cross, Bredagh or Carryduff.

Div 3- Saul and Bosco to get promoted. Kilclief and dromara or teconnaught to bring up the rear

Div 4- dundrum and aughlisnafin to get promoted

Looking forward to a good year of club football in this county. Good start from clonduff last night!
Contradicting yourself a bit tonight!You previously had St Johns done as a cert for relegation

east down gael

In his defence even the most wide eyed St John's man would say it's a big enough ask to stay up.

Cb66

Not a contradiction in the slightest. I would still say St. John's are one of the favourites for relegation. However on their given day, I don't believe it's a massive surprise that they beat Tullylish at home. The real test comes for them in maintaining that sort of consistency throughout a long season with such a small panel but good luck to them!

intheknowhow

Any word in the Down minor team this year? See they had a poor league campaign... hardly much hope for them in the first round against Monaghan?

SamFever

Quote from: intheknowhow on April 27, 2016, 03:46:28 PM
Any word in the Down minor team this year? See they had a poor league campaign... hardly much hope for them in the first round against Monaghan?
So a question first ,a view of how Down performed in the Minor League and then a further question which really is a prediction.
Go away.

cut the crap

I watched the minors a few times including the trials, don't be overly surprised if they beat Monaghan, there is definitely some decent players in the squad , I like Cox at full back and Laverty at CHB.

intheknowhow

Quote from: SamFever on April 27, 2016, 06:25:03 PM
So a question first ,a view of how Down performed in the Minor League and then a further question which really is a prediction.
Go away.

Did I touch a nerve??? This is a gaa forum which people are entitled to their opinion... I asked an open questions which I would like people to engage in... It was merely an observation that they done poorly in the minor league and Monaghan reached the semi final.. An educated guess that Monaghan would be stronger...

SamFever

Quote from: intheknowhow on April 28, 2016, 10:40:53 AM
Quote from: SamFever on April 27, 2016, 06:25:03 PM
Go away.

Did I touch a nerve??? This is a gaa forum which people are entitled to their opinion... I asked an open questions which I would like people to engage in... It was merely an observation that they done poorly in the minor league and Monaghan reached the semi final.. An educated guess that Monaghan would be stronger...
Well done on reaching the semi..

interested

Quote from: interested on April 25, 2016, 10:31:57 PM
Quote from: east down gael on April 25, 2016, 10:15:39 PM
Wouldn't say strange,St John's at home are very capable of pulling off a win against a good few teams in that division.
Well it's the first in three attempts this season.
Humble pie here,St Johns3-09 Liatroim 1-07

east down gael

Some nervous teams near the bottom of division two.three favourites for relegation,(St John's,Carryduff and Bredagh) seem very capable of taking scalps.

Mourne Rover

EDG was not far wrong, as Bredagh won at Loughinisland tonight by four points. It was probably the biggest upset in any of our leagues so far this season, and leaves the division wide open at what is admittedly an early stage.

Cb66

Massive result for Bredagh that there. They play an extremely defensive system which isn't pretty on the eye but It was sure effective tonight. Players are well drilled into playing the system. Loughinislands forwards all completely stifled, think maybe only scored 2/3 points in the whole second half. Two other upsets as well in the other two games tonight, Division 2 seems to be impossible to call.