Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

With Gordan not returning I'd say it's time to move  Mc Kernan back into MF. I'd prefer to see him in the forward line but it's a case of needs must  as this stage, ideally I'd like to see N. Mc Parland partner him (if he's been called up yet?) Hopefully have the Johnson brothers and few others back for the Kerry game on Sunday. Any suggestions for a line up?

Ed Hardy

Tomorrow's Irish News reporting that both Johnson's out for 2/3 months with shoulders injuries.. not getting any easier for Down at the moment!

rosskarr

Mourne Rover

It's not impossible that Burns will say we showed such a marked improvement in Clones that it will be the same starting 15, but a couple of changes would strengthen us. Our kick outs were the biggest single problem against Monaghan, and, while there has to be collective responsibility for this, giving Gordon his chance makes sense.

Boyle was reasonable in the corner but he is probably better out the field and either O'Hagan or Howard could come in beside Gerard McGovern and Magee. Conaill McGovern should be at centre half. possibly alongside Mallon and Carr and it would be a surprise if Turley and Brown are not in midfield.

Poland and Maginn look likely for the half forward line with McKernan named there and dropping back. Murphy deserves another run for his defensive qualities and a two-man forward line of O'Hare and Harrison looks the part.

There are going to be some big names lining out for Kerry, but some of them are struggling for form and fitness, so a repeat of the Monaghan display from the start could put them under pressure. We have lost our last six matches in a row against intercounty opposition, so it is time to lay down a few markers.

Line Ball

Down team to play Kerry on Sunday in Pairc Esler: Michael Cunningham, Luke Howard, Gerard McGovern, Darren O'Hagan, Conaill McGovern, Aidan Carr, Darragh O'Hanlon, Peter Turley, Mark McKay, Joe Murphy, Mark Poland, Kevin McKernan, Conor Maginn, Connaire Harrison, Barry O'Hagan

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Line Ball on February 25, 2016, 11:10:13 PM
Down team to play Kerry on Sunday in Pairc Esler: Michael Cunningham, Luke Howard, Gerard McGovern, Darren O'Hagan, Conaill McGovern, Aidan Carr, Darragh O'Hanlon, Peter Turley, Mark McKay, Joe Murphy, Mark Poland, Kevin McKernan, Conor Maginn, Connaire Harrison, Barry O'Hagan

like this.  :)
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Mourne Rover

We don't know about injuries but Barry O'Hagan starting ahead of Donal O'Hare is a surprise. Cunningham seems to have gone from third to first choice keeper, and it is a big call at midfield for McKay, but there will be plenty of interest in the line-up and hopefully a decent crowd as well.

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

PAULD123

Disappointed Mallon isn't named.

I hate the two-man forward line, or at least the forward line that is a maximum of two man. I can accept a three man forward line with one dropping back to cover, but not a two-man forward line with the "one-dropped-back-and-will never-venture-forward-again" approach that we actually have.

I don't like our midfield but then again how many other options do we have?

redandblackareback

Whats the situation with Nial Mc Parland, is he in the panel? Obviously had prior commitments to the Ranch but he should be back now?

Regarding team selection, why is anyone surprised at the omission of Donal O Hare, he has been a passenger for a long time now, huge blow not having either Johnston.

Any news on Brendan Mc Ardle? surely a big option at Midfield? A lot more mobility than Turley who just simply wont do at this level of football.

Interestingly the last time we beat Kerry just over 5 years ago, here was the team, only two play Sunday and neither are anywhere near the levels of performance they once were.

Down: B McVeigh, D McCartan, D Gordon, D Rafferty, D Rooney, K McKernan, C Garvey, A Rodgers (0-2, 1 '45), K King, D Hughes, M Poland (1-2, 0-1f), P McComiskey (0-2), B Coulter (0-3), J Clarke, M Clarke (0-4, 2f, 1 '45).

Subs: C Maginn (0-1) for J Clarke, R Murtagh (0-1) for McComiskey, B McArdle for Rooney, P Fitzpatrick (0-1) for King, R Sexton for Poland

JoeBloggs11

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 26, 2016, 10:30:13 AM
Whats the situation with Nial Mc Parland, is he in the panel? Obviously had prior commitments to the Ranch but he should be back now?

As far as I am aware, Niall along with any of the other Glenn contingent will not be joining the county panel this year as they are committing fully to the club in 2016

clowry13

I really don't know to laugh or cry at this down team for sunday. Where are the scoring forwards?? conor maginn as a corner forward???

clowry13

Down minor panel named yesterday. How the hell is conor lowry not picked. Outstanding in middle of the park for st.marks

Mourne Rover

Brendan McArdle has a long term injury and may not be back until the end of the league. Donal O'Hare apparently got one-match suspension so he should be available to appear at some stage. We plainly intend to keep plenty of men behind the ball, but we probably don't have too many other options with our present squad.

ballela-angel

Is the match being broadcast on radio?
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!