Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

I could be wrong but I think and hope he was on the wind up about Devlin🤔

Leftmidfield

Anthony Devlin - you're having a laff
What about bringing in ET McGivern ex Point player who is probably slightly lighter than AD

C Carr

What's this about the johnston brothers taking up dodgeball? Although it will suit them for reaction and timing but a sport like that! C'mon has to be some sort of catch in this?

mourneman9194

C Carr let's take this chat serious and take your tripe elsewhere.

Ed Hardy

See Jerome made his comeback from injury today as 2nd half sub for St Marys, and Ryan also played, good news for Down having him back..      hopefully both will be fit enough to be considered for Kerry game.

PAULD123

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 09, 2016, 12:09:55 PM
There is always going to be a debate about the best time to bring in young recruits to county football but most of the Tyrone players PaulD mentions were introduced via the u21s rather than the minors. The last time Down brought a minor into a senior team was probably Benny Coulter in 2000....

I don't think that's completely right MR. Yes all those Tyrone players did play a full stint of U21's but they also had experience in the county senior setup. Certainly O'Neill, Harte, and Donnelly wore a county senior shirt as teenagers. Connor Clarke may have been just 20 on his debut, but Kyle Coney, Ronan McNabb and Paddy McNeice were all in the senior setup as teenagers. And by the end of the U21s were fully developed county players.

If it wasn't for Jerome Jonston Snr, the two Johnston brothers may only now be starting to get chances in our senior team. But thanks to his influence they both now have a few years championship experience behind them and we are able to look to them as the new young leaders of the team. How could we ask that of them if they had only played a couple of halfs of McKenna cup football up to the age of 21-22?

By the way the last player taken straight from minors was Caolan Mooney, who's debut was pretty good. Too bad his re-integration isn't going as well as Marty's did.

PAULD123

By the way I see Niall McParland was also playing fro St Marys against UUJ. I'd really like to see him back in the senior setup

Lecale Gael

with Queens and St Marys eliminated from Sigersson hopefully a few more players back in the fold. Marty Clarke being a key addition if it happens.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

johnneycool

Sean O'g looking to see if the ards clubs would amalgamate to form a junior championship team in the football, what's that about?

ardtole

As far as I know Ballykinlar, Aghaderg and Killyleagh are not competing this year, so as it stands there are only 7 junior graded clubs this year.

No1

Any lads over there looking to play football should be making Kilclief their first port of call! A few families send lads over to play juveniles but their first love is the small ball. It's a pity for us because we've had some smashing footballers over the years who finish up at minor to concentrate on senior hurling for their own clubs. Totally understandable but very frustrating!

PAULD123

Looking at the players in the county it is continually surprising to think how much better our county team could be with just the current fit players alone. We talk about not having enough players but in fact we have much better players than those currently wearing red & black, they are just not making themselves available or being brought in. Here is a team of players who are all fit to play football right now (barring short term niggles):

Stephen Kane

Luke Howard - Dan Gordon - M Magee

Kevin McKernan - Niall McParland - Darren O'Hagan

Kalum King - Ryan Mallon

Ryan Johnston - Marty Clarke - Connor Maginn

Connor Laverty - Jerome Johnston - Paul McComiskey

That's a far better lineup than anything we have had in 2-3 years and all these fellas are actually playing club/college football they are all fit. I know the forward line is very small but it is also very fast and skillful. In reserve we have the likes of Garvey, Coulter, O'Hanlon, Devlin, Mooney, O'Hare, Poland, Carr... all better than the subs we have been bringing on and better than some of our current starters.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: ardtole on February 15, 2016, 10:30:21 AM
As far as I know Ballykinlar, Aghaderg and Killyleagh are not competing this year, so as it stands there are only 7 junior graded clubs this year.

heard Aghaderg were fielding though Kinlar and Killyleagh definitely not involved in Junior football this season

Lecale Gael

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 15, 2016, 11:18:00 AM
Looking at the players in the county it is continually surprising to think how much better our county team could be with just the current fit players alone. We talk about not having enough players but in fact we have much better players than those currently wearing red & black, they are just not making themselves available or being brought in. Here is a team of players who are all fit to play football right now (barring short term niggles):

Stephen Kane

Luke Howard - Dan Gordon - M Magee

Kevin McKernan - Niall McParland - Darren O'Hagan

Kalum King - Ryan Mallon

Ryan Johnston - Marty Clarke - Connor Maginn

Connor Laverty - Jerome Johnston - Paul McComiskey

That's a far better lineup than anything we have had in 2-3 years and all these fellas are actually playing club/college football they are all fit. I know the forward line is very small but it is also very fast and skillful. In reserve we have the likes of Garvey, Coulter, O'Hanlon, Devlin, Mooney, O'Hare, Poland, Carr... all better than the subs we have been bringing on and better than some of our current starters.

Connaire Harrison did well against Monaghan though Donal O'Hares is lacking a sense of conviction for whatever reason. Cant see McComiskey , Gordan or King coming on board any time soon and Clarke's return another uncertainty.

imagine

Quote from: No1 on February 15, 2016, 11:14:55 AM
Any lads over there looking to play football should be making Kilclief their first port of call! A few families send lads over to play juveniles but their first love is the small ball. It's a pity for us because we've had some smashing footballers over the years who finish up at minor to concentrate on senior hurling for their own clubs. Totally understandable but very frustrating!
St Pauls would be a better bet.No sailing involved.