Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

See the U21's won the mc nulty Sheild on Saturday. I haven't seen them play yet. Are there any lads in that team capable of stepping up to the senior panel?

Smurfy123

Here goes

Kane-Good keeper in general but his kickouts are killing us.No variation at all on kickouts.Surely someone in the back room team can see we need a kickout strategy

DOH-Good player but got destroyed last night by PMB
Why was he even on him when it was clear to see he had not the physicality to mark him.Would he not have been better following a McHugh

McGovern.First start for Down tried his all against Murphy but not his night
Was very concerned at the start when he followed Murphy out the field.Surely he should have stayed full back.Would you see Rory O Corroll leave the square ??No

Magee.Done well.tried to show energy throughout the game.Will be in burns championship team this year

Hughes.Done well for his first start.Can be worked on.One of the better players

McGoveren.Again tried hard and worn his socks off.Scored a great point but got a black in the end

Boyle.was not in the game at all.His man got on a lot of ball.Can do better but has to up his game if he is to start in future games

Turley.When willDown realise that this man has been tested and has not worked.Was grasping for breath after 10 minutes.Not good enough for county football

Brown.had to fell for him last night.Have we no better players to play midfield UN this county?dropped a ball for seconds goal.does he start for Clonduff.??

Murphy.Kick a few balls away.Was not strong enough on the ball leading to his black card.Needs to show more

Poland .Very disappointing nightt.Doesn't look fit.Lost balls in the tackle 3 times.nit the player we seen years ago.need to step up to the mark.

McKernan.Touched the ball twice in 70 minutes football.Likes to be heard and seen on the pitch without doing anything.If he is our leader then we may all quit.Hasnt got the stomach for the hards games.

Johnstone.Wanted the ball but nothing happened for him.Tried hard but took a knock early on

McConville.Dropped balls that he should have won.Looked very nervous on the ball.needs to do more if he wants to start in future games

O hare.Does nothing from play and now is missing to many frees.Whats his role on the team?Take away free kicks what does he give Down?

Harrison.Needs to start next week.Shows signs that he can make things click

O Hanlon.where do I start?This man is not county standard,Burns needs to show him the door and very soon.

Madine.Need to loose a stone before  we can take him serious

That's my thoughts on the game maybe I am it harsh on players and generous to others

I'm open for criticism here

On another nite it's great to hear that our great hope Mooney was drinking the head of himself last Wednesday night in belfast and did not appear at training on Wednesday night. the reason why he didn't start on Saturday.Can someone for the county board notjump in and sort this mess out.Thats 3 times I heard of indiscipline this year alone and we have only started

general_lee

Too many funboys on the down team. Without naming names Mooney isn't the only one partial to a midweek tipple.

Born Ready

Agree with a lot of them player ratings but think you're harsh on Gerard Mc Govern. For a man marking Murphy on his county debut I thought he was one of few positives on the night limiting Murphys influence from play and towards the end you could see that he'd gotten under Murphys skin slightly

Mourne Rover

It's reasonable to expect some firm criticism after a very disappointing start to the league but naming individuals who are allegedly overweight, lack commitment and take a drink crosses a line. Those comments are essentially personal abuse and should be deleted by either the original poster or the moderators.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 01, 2016, 11:25:36 AM
It's reasonable to expect some firm criticism after a very disappointing start to the league but naming individuals who are allegedly overweight, lack commitment and take a drink crosses a line. Those comments are essentially personal abuse and should be deleted by either the original poster or the moderators.

Well said Mourne Rover.

A man from Down

Some of the comments are disgraceful.

What gives people the right to come on here and make such personal comments about people they don't even know?

Sure Saturday night was hard to watch and there may be a couple of more games like this to sit through but come the summer if we beat Monaghan then not one of us will give a flying f$ck about what happens in this league campaign. At the minute the new management will be trying out new players and that will take time. A Sunny day in Clones is a world apart from a shitty cold night in Newry. We have four months to try and get a competitive side together for the Championship, there will be a couple of old heads that might come back and then we will have a different side. Donegal have a team of All Ireland winners and Allstars whilst some of the Down lads were making debuts.

Give the new regime time ffs.

FML

If you are going to throw insults & make the kind of comments above at least have enough balls to put your own name on the post.

That is lower even than the kind of loud mouths who shout rubbish from the stands. At least they don't hide their identity.

forevergreen

There is no point making attacks on individuals with regard to off field antics however, whether they like it or not County players are under the microscope and are well aware of it.

If the rumours of Mooney are true then its a major problem considering he was more than happy to give interviews on both Friday and Saturdays papers about how ambitious he is with Down.

The whole squad should be slapped with a media ban and told to do their talking on the field.

The Squad needs to close up shop, build a tight knit camadarie that won't be undermined by either of field antics or self indulgent interviews that aren't worth the paper they are wrote on.

This year was always going to be tough and a rebuild process is both required and patience to let Eamonn get on with the job is needed.

As supporters we all need to get behind Eamonn and the whole set up but in turn the players need to concentrate on the football and playing for the jersey and forget about the media circus and wanting to be VIPs.

Shut up and Put up or let the new lads at it.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 31, 2016, 10:32:28 AM
Monaghan up next weekend so doesnt get much easier, definitely needs to be changes made for that. Really worry we could end up with 0 wins from the league this year. As for next week I'd go with

Kane
O hagan
G Mc Govern
Magee
R Mallon
Carr
Mc Parland
Turley
Mc Kernan
Maginn
R Johnson
Mooney
O Hare
Madine
Doran

Anyword on when Jerome will be back? I'd say one or two from Loughinisland will be called in after the Monaghan game.

ohare got a straight red so you may forget him
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Smurfy123

I said that I thought Gerard McGovern did ok but thought he should have stayed full back allowing Magee to pick up Murphy out the field with McGovern holding the square to use his strength for PMB

What was embarrassing about an interview??

TheClutch

Any one know the situation regarding some of following players with regards to senior setup;

Michael Cunningham, Kieran Gordan

David McKibbin, James Colgan, Daryl Brannigan, Declan Rooney, Conor Garvey, Kevin Duffin

Niall McParland, Peter Fitzpatrick, Paul Greenan, Shane Harrison

Ross McGarry, Chris Clarke , Robbie White, Caolan Mooney, Paul McComiskey, Paul Devlin, Conor Poland, Conor Maginn, Marty Clarke, Jerome Johnston

Have they been approached or are already involved or are coming into the panel at a later stage? I apologise if any of the players named above have an obvious explanation to their involvement. I am also not that familiar with the Loughinisland boys that could be involved, except for K. Gordan and possibly Dan Gordan but I am fairly sure Dan won't be back.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

wobbller

Quote from: nearlymad on February 01, 2016, 07:36:21 PM
Quote from: Thastheball on February 01, 2016, 06:41:09 PM
Have to say I am delighted to see Down take that hammering, and hopefully more to come because of the way you treated your last manager. Considering your CB remained practically unchanged suggests the clubs were more and happy with their behaviour. Suck it up you deserve it
As an outsider looking in,I would tend to agree.There appears to a collection of free P type gaa administrators at the top of Down gaa. Their way or no way.McCorry did his own thing and wouldn't by all accounts lick the ar-es he was supposed to although he did mess up in Wexford.A quick return to div2 and a short summer in store. I can speak with some authority being so used to it all in Antrim.
Antrim get a win in the rarified level of Div 4 and you're over here giving us some of your thoughts.Come back when you move up a league or two.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: TheClutch on February 01, 2016, 11:17:40 PM
Any one know the situation regarding some of following players with regards to senior setup;

Michael Cunningham, Kieran Gordan

David McKibbin, James Colgan, Daryl Brannigan, Declan Rooney, Conor Garvey, Kevin Duffin

Niall McParland, Peter Fitzpatrick, Paul Greenan, Shane Harrison

Ross McGarry, Chris Clarke , Robbie White, Caolan Mooney, Paul McComiskey, Paul Devlin, Conor Poland, Conor Maginn, Marty Clarke, Jerome Johnston

Have they been approached or are already involved or are coming into the panel at a later stage? I apologise if any of the players named above have an obvious explanation to their involvement. I am also not that familiar with the Loughinisland boys that could be involved, except for K. Gordan and possibly Dan Gordan but I am fairly sure Dan won't be back.

From what I know:
Kieran Gordan - On the panel, sub keeper on Saturday.
James Colgan - Still in New Zeland doing physio?
Daryl Brannigan - Not asked onto the panel.
Peter Fitzpatrick - Heard he's not playing this year as he's building a house. Not sure if true.
Paul Greenan - Moved out to Oz.
Ross McGarry - Not asked onto panel.
Robbie White - Not asked onto panel.
Caolan Mooney - On panel. Disciplined and dropped for Saturday's game.
Paul McComiskey - No interest in football. Not playing regularly for Dundrum.
Conor Poland - Living in London.
Marty Clarke - Playing for Queens, not yet asked onto panel.
Jerome Johnston - On the panel but injured.

Open to correction on the above. No idea about the rest of the lads you've mentioned.

I'd hazard a guess that Jonny Flynn and Rory Mason will be asked on from Loughinisland and possibly Aaron McClements. I'd also be fairly sure Dan isn't going back.

Brick Tamlin

Well hes hardly gonna come out and say he was on the tear last week & had to leave him out.
Nobody associated with Down should be in the papers at the minute, least not the players.
Read enough oul cr@p from the same boys this last few years to sicken yer hole. Its embarrassing.
If its not Big Arthur, its McKernan, Poland or Mooney. Add in the weekly columns from other fellas and it just makes ye cringe.