Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 15, 2015, 09:34:48 PM
Super sub a question for you
What's rostrevors thoughts on Caolan Mooneys comeback.?I was a big fan of his but this year has seen me change views.Last kick off game last night he missed kicked the ball and then walked straight into the changing rooms while the rest of Rostrevor team gathered for a chat in the middle of pitch.

He hasn't played enough for us for anyone to form a proper opinion on his 'comeback' at club level, in my opinion. He only played a handful of games. 5 maybe. In some of those games we came to rely on him (before he went to the US) and he was impressive. But again cannot really judge.

Dubh driocht

While the focus is quite rightly on the Down championships, the fact remains we are managerless. It's probably easier to give a view on who shouldn't be considered imo;
Frank Dawson, Paddy O'Rourke, Paddy Crozier, Conor Deegan (Unless he's in with a good young coach), Pete McGrath (same but has committed to Fermanagh), Banty McEaneany, Sean Ward, Aidan O'Rourke.

I presume that bridges are burnt with McCorry and there's no way back?

Possibilities; McEntee/O'Neill, wee James ( unlikely ).

Not a lot of possibilities then, particularly as McEntee was considered last year and nothing happened.
Any other suggestions ?

redzone

Would Stephen poacher not be up there with the best up and coming coaches in Ulster. Would he be worth a punt

upthehoops

Quote from: redzone on September 16, 2015, 06:16:29 PM
Would Stephen poacher not be up there with the best up and coming coaches in Ulster. Would he be worth a punt
He is the stand out candidate

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 16, 2015, 05:33:19 PM
I presume that bridges are burnt with McCorry and there's no way back?

Which goes to show the long term thought processes of the board.

#kneejerk
i usse an speelchekor

Hedgehunter

Quote from: upthehoops on September 16, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

I would near bet that this wouldn't go down well with the majority of the Down Gaels owing to the way he carries himself.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Hedgehunter on September 16, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

I would near bet that this wouldn't go down well with the majority of the Down Gaels owing to the way he carries himself.

How is it the case that he would be the stand out candidate anyway????

DuffleKing

Based on?

super reds 99

Was he the manger who won all irelands at secondary school level won a title when he was at the kingdom coached burren when they reached a county final and made steady progress with Ballyholland over the last couple of years and could win silverware this year yet  !

Brick Tamlin

Based on his own opinion of himself. Sure who elses opinion would you need.
Stephen is just being honest when Stephen thinks that Stephen is the man for the job and id be inclined to agree with Stephen.
Actually id go as far to say that Stephen should probably consult with Stephen on a suitable selection process and we could get the ball rolling for interviews. Of course, no better man than Stephen to sit on the interview panel and run the rule over the suitable candidate.
Its only logical.

whitegoodman

Quote from: super reds 99 on September 16, 2015, 08:43:33 PM
Was he the manger who won all irelands at secondary school level won a title when he was at the kingdom coached burren when they reached a county final and made steady progress with Ballyholland over the last couple of years and could win silverware this year yet  !

He wasn't with Burren when they reached the final.
Ballyholland are having a decent season this year but won't win silverware and were nearly relegated last year.
Not sure on his schools record but sure Cathal Murray has won 2 all Ireland's, does they make him a candidate.
He got kingdom promotion but did they not get relegated the following year or was that under wee Pere?

speculative

I think we're getting a wee bit too far ahead of ourselves on Poacher. Young coach who has never won anything and only seems to be able to play with a defensive structure. He coached Mayobridge for a yr and helped take them to a county final who were resoundly beaten on the day- that's the closest he's ever came to success.

Speaking of Mayobridge v Kilcoo I suspect this one will be tight. 'Bridge definitely have the talent but whether or not they have the strength in depth remains to be seen. I think last year the general feeling was they left it behind them but it's been 7 yrs since they won a championship and excuses are starting to wear thin.

Interestingly, since 1998 either the 'Bridge or the team that has beat them have won the championship- standard bearers for 17 years.

Anyway, neck on the line - Ballyholland Bridge final

redzone

One thing is for sure poacher would know the club scene and players inside out. He'd have Clarke and mooney and Johnston twins chomping at the bit with benny on the edge of the square. Man bleeds down football. Same couldn't be said about McCorry or mcentee

Brick Tamlin

Who are these Johnston twins you speak of.

redzone

Brothers. Typo brick. Who is ure preferred candidate