Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

No surprise really after the lack of support from the club's. Down are a shambles have been for a while. Losing to a division 4 team is unforgivable to be honest. His treatment of the more experienced players didn't help . Who knows where we go from here its a depressing situation.  Who would be in the running?

elk

Shane ward, doing well at burren, not afraid to give youth a chance if he thinks they're good enough but who ever the next manager is they need to be given at least two- three years.

SHEEDY

PRESS STATEMENT
Tonight the Down County Board were notified by Jim Mc Corry that he was stepping down with immediate effect as Down Senior Football Team Manager.
Down County Board would like to place on record our thanks to Jim and his backroom team for their efforts and commitment shown to the Down Senior Footballers and their endeavors in taking Down from Division 2 back to Division 1 for next season.
Members of the Down Executive Committee had met with Jim on Monday to re-assure him that he had 100% support from both the Executive Committee and the clubs in Down, and that Down GAA would not be found wanting in their support for Jim and the Down Senior Footballers in 2016 and beyond.
We wish him well in the future.
There will be no further comment at this time.
nil satis nisi optimum

supersub

Quote from: elk on August 20, 2015, 09:33:35 PM
Shane ward, doing well at burren, not afraid to give youth a chance if he thinks they're good enough but who ever the next manager is they need to be given at least two- three years.

Yes he's really come on since X Factor a few years back..

thewobbler

Quote from: elk on August 20, 2015, 09:33:35 PM

Sean Ward has managed a grand total of one club SFC game. This is not the CV of an intercounty manager, no matter how hard you try to spin it.

snoopdog

Will McEntee come into the equation?

elk

Oops well spotted super sub .just seen a press release he is not Available now he has signed up for corrie

wobbller

Quote from: SHEEDY on August 20, 2015, 10:36:11 PM

Members of the Down Executive Committee had met with Jim on Monday to re-assure him that he had 100% support from both the Executive Committee and the clubs in Down, and that Down GAA would not be found wanting in their support for Jim and the Down Senior Footballers in 2016 and beyond.

And McCorry would really believe this to be true😜.

Gaa for life

Members of the Down Executive Committee had met with Jim on Monday to re-assure him that he had 100% support from both the Executive Committee and the clubs in Down,

what a pile of sh1t. do they not realise that the results of the vote to keep jim in place are public knowledge? im not a massive fan of jims after this past season but I think he was right to walk away knowing that the clubs and co board weren't behind him. he was the stand out candidate this time last year so where do we go from here? in all honesty I cant see too many cueing up for the job as I think we will do well to get more than one win in div 1 next year and that is not ideal preparation for the championship. and as for Dawson, I wouldn't have him within 100miles of the job.

terrifictommy

I think McCrory was the best option at the time (and still is) from the club scene in Down. Whilst he may not have set the world alight in the Championship, to have guided us to Div1 next year is not to be underestimated. We will be playing the league campaign at a higher level which should bring out more of the best in our players - plus another preseason training and developing his style of play. It's also clear those players in the panel rated him very highly indeed.

southdown

Pete McGrath is the stand out candidate.  Most of the names mentioned here have zero inter-county experience.

The question is whether he will come back.

Red eye

Quote from: southdown on August 21, 2015, 12:29:52 PM
Pete McGrath is the stand out candidate.  Most of the names mentioned here have zero inter-county experience.

The question is whether he will come back.

Would agree but would expect him to politely refuse if approached.
Current board don't appear to have been big fans of Pete and he appears to be thoroughly enjoying the stint in Fermanagh. Would be different in another year or so when the Fermanagh bandwagon stops (reach as far as they can with the resources they have).
Would need the County board to recognise the as you say "outstanding candidate" and give him the support and backing that would be needed.

Mourne Rover

McCorry's departure was predictably badly handled, and he should at least have been given a second year to make his mark, but any manager who has lost the confidence of his county executive is on very thin ice. The decline between Celtic Park, when we were plainly unfortunate, and Wexford, when we were appalling, was striking. It was reasonable to expect that county board officials would ask questions about reports of upheaval in the camp and poor attendances at training, and the indications are that they were unhappy with the answers offered. If relationships were breaking down, it is probably better that we have a parting of then ways now rather than in the middle of what could be a tough D1 programme.

thewobbler

Pete.

Fair play to Pete in Fermanagh this year. He made the most of a kind draw, and got momentum going. Championships are about momentum.

But while I know that time is a great healer, am I really the only person who remembers this series of Championship results for Down?

2000 USFC: Antrim 0-13 Down 1-7
2001 USFC: Cavan 1-14 Down 2-10
2001 AI Qualifiers: Armagh 1-13 Down 2-4
2002 USFC: Donegal 3-12 Down 1-6
2002 AI Qualifiers: Longford 1-16 Down 0-14

Seriously folks, this is not an "outstanding candidate".

qubdub

Anyone that has won an All Ireland (plural) is an outstanding candidate in my eyes.

"But Gaelic football has changed so much since then!" you inevitably gurn.

Just look again what he achieved this year... A kind draw? Well not really. Leinster finalists and a division 1 team? An honourable performance against the superdubs? Throw in promotion. All with a county with far less resources than Down. Playing WITHOUT 3/4 of their best players. He did exceptionally well.

Even forgetting anything he did in 91, 94, 01 or 02 he'd still be a good candidate. I don't think he would take it though if he was asked. He's an honourable man and will want to continue with Fermanagh.