Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I know what you mean Down Fanatic.

But I still think you're approaching it a bit inside out. There has to be some form of strong delineation between reserve and senior football. Tweaking the rules can't really allow more than a handful of players at any club to fall back to the lower grade. Even if you get the full handful, they can't all be available and willing to play.

DownFanatic

Quote from: thewobbler on August 16, 2015, 11:05:41 PM
I know what you mean Down Fanatic.

But I still think you're approaching it a bit inside out. There has to be some form of strong delineation between reserve and senior football. Tweaking the rules can't really allow more than a handful of players at any club to fall back to the lower grade. Even if you get the full handful, they can't all be available and willing to play.

Lot of reserve teams at divisional level are struggling for numbers. 6pm throw ins on Sunday don't help. East Down was a 13-a-side league this year and still there were quite a few occasions when teams couldn't field.

Gaa for life

just an idea but why not scrap the PRFC and the RFC and go with the system installed in most counties in the south where they have senior, intermediate, junior A, junior B, and Junior C . this would work in the league as well allowing 2nds teams to get promoted through the divisions. there are intermediate teams who would not beat burren mayobridge and kilcoo 2nds teams it would make a higher number of competitive games in intermediate and junior championship.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Gaa for life on August 17, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
just an idea but why not scrap the PRFC and the RFC and go with the system installed in most counties in the south where they have senior, intermediate, junior A, junior B, and Junior C . this would work in the league as well allowing 2nds teams to get promoted through the divisions. there are intermediate teams who would not beat burren mayobridge and kilcoo 2nds teams it would make a higher number of competitive games in intermediate and junior championship.

The reserve teams of some of the biggest senior clubs compete in the Armagh ACFL and every single one of them are in the junior ranks with most in the Junior B division.
Take your typical Friday night under your proposed system in Down. Burren are going to a big division 1 game and the senior manager insists that a panel of 25 attend. Their seconds have for arguments sake a division 3 match on the same night and the same time.
The reserve team are bereft of at least ten players that would be eligible for them and thus have to dip into their third team in order to field. This would be a weekly occurrence and you would soon see that these reserve teams would be nothing better than an average junior club side.
I have no doubt though the likes of Burren/Kilcoo/Mayobridge reserve teams with their full compliment on a weekly basis would be of middling Intermediate standard but it isn't going to work out that way.

gaamann

Can anyone from Annaclone confirm they are not fielding tonight.

terrifictommy

At this stage id say you know the answer gaaman

Hedgehunter

Comfortable 2 points for Glenn tonite..

elk

Not good news for the stone, super reds and the town

gaamann

You care to enlighten us Tommy why Annaclone never appeared in Saval tonight?

GreenGiant

What was the reasoning behind Annaclone not fielding? Not very sportsmanlike for teams in the bottom half

wobbller

Quote from: GreenGiant on August 17, 2015, 10:40:16 PM
What was the reasoning behind Annaclone not fielding? Not very sportsmanlike for teams in the bottom half
in keeping with their behaviour in the transfer sagas of  4 or 5 years ago.Disgusting......

terrifictommy

I don't know the reason behind the decision but there's no malice intended to the other teams fighting for Div1 status. In contrast everyone has an opinion now, no one bothered when Ballyholland called game off at 1730, was I not told 'It's none of your business'. So let's see where the real problems lie within this county and the short term memories.

gaamann

Tommy your not making much sense. Ballyholland got the game off because they had a genuine reason according to the rule book, now that might have been very disappointing for your club but they did act within the rules.Still no sensible reason not to field last night Glenn fielded, ref and officials turned up county board were in attendance and quite a considerable crowd attended looks really bad Tommy, just wondering how you gonna spin this one but no doubt you will find a way.

wobbller

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 18, 2015, 08:04:09 AM
I don't know the reason behind the decision but there's no malice intended to the other teams fighting for Div1 status. In contrast everyone has an opinion now, no one bothered when Ballyholland called game off at 1730, was I not told 'It's none of your business'. So let's see where the real problems lie within this county and the short term memories.
Tommy,you say there is no malice intended as I'n sure there isn't from your perspective as you don't know the reason for non-fielding but those that do know the reason have certainly let down your Club by this decision.

Gaa for life

can anyone post an updated league table for div 1?