Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: urbangael on August 09, 2015, 11:14:34 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 08, 2015, 11:09:35 PM
Managed two games in the last 24 hours and both were enjoyable.It must be frustrating to be a Ford supporter as the whole is less than the sum of the parts.Dawson did appear clueless but the yellas usually produce at least one good championship performance each year and they were good value for the win. The O'Hagans, Aidan Carr and big Arthur were excellent and maybe Gearoid is potential successor to the man nobody seems to have a good word for
I reckon if the vote was run again he would be out.   Glenn were lucky to beat the Stone; however the fadhians had only themselves to blame for not getting Mark Poland on the ball enough.They still could have won it at the end when Ambrose was bearing down on goal but lost possession and Glenn went down the field for the insurance point.

Aye I've just put the mortgage on them to win the championship!!

Is the mortgage big on the caravan?

DownFanatic

Quote from: gaamann on August 09, 2015, 12:07:17 PM
Thanks Ardtole yes Glenn and Ardglass had a few tight games.09 would have been the start of our minor team coming.Still very young and inexperienced but Longstone are a good championship side and a great win yesterday.Yous had some good players then remember some of them well Magee two Deegans Taggert them lads would have got on any first division team.The year yous finished top of the league and got done in the playoffs was a difficult one to recover from.
Urbangale Glenn have no chance of winning the Championship fools and there money better giving the mortgage money to your ma to mind for you.Feck the begrudgers!!

Ardtole was the graveyard for many a South Down team in the past decade. Ardglass had the quality and the players to play consistently at a higher level but for some reason just didn't get there. Two Deegans, Mick Magee, Liam Mullan and Stephen Smyth were all class acts. Umpteen playoff defeats came your way.

Glasdrumman beat us well in the JFC today. Connaire Harrison is a terrific player. Definitely one of the best attackers in the county.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: SamFever on August 09, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
Managed two games in the last 24 hours and both were enjoyable.It must be frustrating to be a Ford supporter as the whole is less than the sum of the parts.Dawson did appear clueless but the yellas usually produce at least one good championship performance each year and they were good value for the win. The O'Hagans, Aidan Carr and big Arthur were excellent and maybe Gearoid is potential successor to the man nobody seems to have a good word for
I reckon if the vote was run again he would be out.   Glenn were lucky to beat the Stone; however the fadhians had only themselves to blame for not getting Mark Poland on the ball enough.They still could have won it at the end when Ambrose was bearing down on goal but lost possession and Glenn went down the field for the insurance point.
You are not suggesting that Gearoid Adams is a future Down Manager on the back of a win in the Down SFC?
He was part of Baker Bradley's team, he has managed St Johns in Antrim, he was linked to both the Antrim and Fermanagh jobs and he has been teaching in Down for a number of years so you're right- I wasn't suggesting he was a future Down manager on the back of a win in the Down SFC

SamFever

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 09, 2015, 07:06:41 PM
Quote from: SamFever on August 09, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
You are not suggesting that Gearoid Adams is a future Down Manager on the back of a win in the Down SFC?
He was part of Baker Bradley's team, he has managed St Johns in Antrim, he was linked to both the Antrim and Fermanagh jobs and he has been teaching in Down for a number of years so you're right- I wasn't suggesting he was a future Down manager on the back of a win in the Down SFC
Was teaching in Down!!! Now up in Ballymena for a number of years. He wouldn't get managing Antrim so why would Down take him.Don't get caught up in the surname......... :'(

Tiocfaidh Ned

All square in Newry, extra time to be played. Burren have that wee bit of momentum that could see them win this.

#SackSeanOg #SackChuckyNed

one day

Burren are a joke, diving cheating wrestling .

Tiocfaidh Ned

Quote from: one day on August 09, 2015, 09:13:51 PM
Burren are a joke, diving cheating wrestling .

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Kilcoo aren't exactly angels themselves.

Tiocfaidh Ned

Credit to both teams, that was a belter. Burren 2.13  Kilcoo 2.10

ranch

Was in Pairc Esler this evening. Who was the ref for the 2nd game? He was pretty poor throughout, taking up to 40 seconds to book a player at times. In my opinion he also cost Kilcoo a deserved victory in normal time, the free he gave Burren in injury was as soft as they come.

forevergreen

Soft free?? Maybe he was making up for all the Soft ones he gave Laverty and co. Wasn't an easy game to ref but Kilcoo set the tone with their Tiarnan McCann impressions, either that or they were eating grass!!! Kilcoo had Burren beat and didn't put them away. Pull the dogs tail and he will bite u

east down gael

The game had everything.probably two teams more afraid of losing than going all out to win.kilcoo looked the more slick going forward but burren kept within touching distance.they definitely made a statement physicality wise, I don't think one of them took a backwards step tonight.that being said I thought they were nowhere near their best tonight,maybe got too involved in the messing.
  If I had to make a call for them meeting later on in the championship would probably just give it to burren as their main men really didn't show tonight,yet they still got a result.hell of a lot of wrestling and a slight touch of a few fellas trying to get a man sent off,but all in an outstanding contest.special mention to burren no.3,seriously tough footballer!

ranch

Quote from: east down gael on August 10, 2015, 01:04:55 AM
The game had everything.probably two teams more afraid of losing than going all out to win.kilcoo looked the more slick going forward but burren kept within touching distance.they definitely made a statement physicality wise, I don't think one of them took a backwards step tonight.that being said I thought they were nowhere near their best tonight,maybe got too involved in the messing.
  If I had to make a call for them meeting later on in the championship would probably just give it to burren as their main men really didn't show tonight,yet they still got a result.hell of a lot of wrestling and a slight touch of a few fellas trying to get a man sent off,but all in an outstanding contest.special mention to burren no.3,seriously tough footballer!
The no.4 and no.7 for Kilcoo are two very good footballers too.
Was surprised Burren left their no.4 on Jerome Johnston when he was clearly struggling to get close to him.

east down gael

A lot of good footballers on show tonight.i take your point about the man marking Johnson,but there's no use moving a fella off him if you've nobody better to make him.plenty of times I've played in games were our best defender is taking a roasting,but putting our second best defender on the danger man wouldn't even enter your head.

ranch

Quote from: east down gael on August 10, 2015, 01:38:47 AM
A lot of good footballers on show tonight.i take your point about the man marking Johnson,but there's no use moving a fella off him if you've nobody better to make him.plenty of times I've played in games were our best defender is taking a roasting,but putting our second best defender on the danger man wouldn't even enter your head.
I wouldn't see Burren regularly so I wouldn't know if he's their best defender or not, I get the point you're making though.
Who was the no.7 for Kilcoo? Took his penalty very well.

TheClutch

Quote from: DownFanatic on August 09, 2015, 05:54:50 PM
Quote from: gaamann on August 09, 2015, 12:07:17 PM
Thanks Ardtole yes Glenn and Ardglass had a few tight games.09 would have been the start of our minor team coming.Still very young and inexperienced but Longstone are a good championship side and a great win yesterday.Yous had some good players then remember some of them well Magee two Deegans Taggert them lads would have got on any first division team.The year yous finished top of the league and got done in the playoffs was a difficult one to recover from.
Urbangale Glenn have no chance of winning the Championship fools and there money better giving the mortgage money to your ma to mind for you.Feck the begrudgers!!

Ardtole was the graveyard for many a South Down team in the past decade. Ardglass had the quality and the players to play consistently at a higher level but for some reason just didn't get there. Two Deegans, Mick Magee, Liam Mullan and Stephen Smyth were all class acts. Umpteen playoff defeats came your way.

Glasdrumman beat us well in the JFC today. Connaire Harrison is a terrific player. Definitely one of the best attackers in the county.

Correct me if I am wrong DF but 09 is the year Ardglass reached the IFC semi final after hoking us in the quarter final in Downpatrick? Very physical team who were fit and had an eye for goal, the groundball is good for some things it seems!

Great to see Glenn getting a deserved win the in SFC, doesn't seem a crack from 09 when they were winning the JFC and then playing the likes of ourselves, Ardglass, Saul and Bredagh in the following years.

2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)