Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: elk on May 12, 2015, 02:03:28 PM
Quote from: Hedgehunter on May 12, 2015, 12:47:11 AM
Now with a quarter of the season gone,how do folk think things will end up at the end of the season? Top 4 / bottom 6?
Top 4 - Burren,Kilcoo,,Mayobridge 
Bottom 6 - Liatroim,Clanna na Banna,Longstone,Rostrevor,Annaclone and Warrenpoint.

- a bit predictable I know and it's only my opinion.

Far too early to say how Warrenpoint will do but early indications are that they could avoid bottom six. The games on 29th May against Burren and 12th June away to Mayobridge will shed some light on their chances. I wouldn't be expecting victories in either but they will give the best chance to appraise Warrenpoint's abilities.

Although, both those matches should be starred and for Warrenpoint to lose Ross McGarry and Ryan Boyle against the bridge could be a huge blow

whitegoodman

IMO

CPN will finisher closer to the top than the bottom and certainly not in the bottom 6.  McGarry might be a miss but I think he has missed the last couole of games anyway plus Mallon leaving the county panel will be a bonus.

Certs for the bottom 6 are Banbridge, Annaclone and Liatroim.
The other 3 will be between Lonstone, Glenn, Rostrevor, Ballyholland Downpatrick and Clonduff with the first 3 being my picks.

Certs for top 4 are Burren, Bridge and Kilcoo with the other between Castlewellan and Bryansford.

On another note some of Ballyhollands behaviour the other night against Burren was a disgrace, at times there was 8 or 9 of them going about as if they are John Rambo.  Their style of play is pathetic as well and resembles a poor mans Cavan.  On a more positive note  the facilities and in particular the stand is a credit to their club.

5 Sams

Quote from: whitegoodman on May 12, 2015, 08:01:36 PM
IMO

CPN will finisher closer to the top than the bottom and certainly not in the bottom 6.  McGarry might be a miss but I think he has missed the last couole of games anyway plus Mallon leaving the county panel will be a bonus.

Certs for the bottom 6 are Banbridge, Annaclone and Liatroim.
The other 3 will be between Lonstone, Glenn, Rostrevor, Ballyholland Downpatrick and Clonduff with the first 3 being my picks.

Certs for top 4 are Burren, Bridge and Kilcoo with the other between Castlewellan and Bryansford.

On another note some of Ballyhollands behaviour the other night against Burren was a disgrace, at times there was 8 or 9 of them going about as if they are John Rambo. Their style of play is pathetic as well and resembles a poor mans Cavan.  On a more positive note  the facilities and in particular the stand is a credit to their club.

Sorry but it's good to see our boys standing up for themselves. Harps teams in the past were too easily bullied...not any more. We won't be pushed about. I played against the Burren teams of the 80s. No shortage of Rambos on those teams.
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

Thought you might come on that one 5sams.

Do you actually think it helps your team though? IMO all it does is rile your opponents, Burren tried it last year against Kilcoo and were made to look very foolish.

It wasn't as if Burren came out at the start and started to wire into yas for the match to turn the way it did.  A more composed ref would have given at least a couple the line.

5 Sams

I agree 100% WGM. We were lucky to escape with no reds against Burren. But I'm delighted to see our lads standing up to the (so called) big guns of Down football and not being messed about. We did the same against Rostrevor who started a melee down there in the first game of the league. We did the same to Kilcoo in the last game of the season last year. For far too long we have had a 2nd division mentality and we kowtowed to the aristocracy of Down club football. Those days are over.
The Aristocrat Years

rosskarr

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 12, 2015, 10:11:11 PM
I agree 100% WGM. We were lucky to escape with no reds against Burren. But I'm delighted to see our lads standing up to the (so called) big guns of Down football and not being messed about. We did the same against Rostrevor who started a melee down there in the first game of the league. We did the same to Kilcoo in the last game of the season last year. For far too long we have had a 2nd division mentality and we kowtowed to the aristocracy of Down club football. Those days are over.
What a load of bolli-s!

Brick Tamlin

So Ballyholland have turned a great corner then?
Whats a 2nd division mentality exactly?
What if Burren didn't come to Ballyholland to 'mess about' but rather just beat you by playing football.
Why the need to initiate the chest-beating? For that's all it is.
Its possible to show your opponents a degree of respect and still perform to your utmost (and possibly win) is it not?

imagine

Is Conor Mc Gregor of UFC fame in charge
if your team  this year? There's only  4 rounds of
matches played and you may regret some
of your comments as the season goes on but
best of luck.

Down Follower

I have to say Ballyholland do seem more interested in getting involved than playing football more and more so over these past few seasons. It will come to a head some day when another team 'stands up' to them as 5 Sams calls it.

wobbller

Quote from: Down Follower on May 13, 2015, 10:24:54 AM
I have to say Ballyholland do seem more interested in getting involved than playing football more and more so over these past few seasons. It will come to a head some day when another team 'stands up' to them as 5 Sams calls it.
Would this have anything to do with their Manager perhaps?

elk

Can anyone confirm the rumour Rostrevor are running a chartered flight to Prague on Saturday morning, in order to ensure they will have a full team to play and beat the Point tomorrow night?

whitegoodman

Why would the point not change the match for them if they have that many lads away?  Is there that much hatred between the clubs?

I've seen Burren switch a match for the Bridge and visversa and there is hardly much love between the two clubs .....

supersub

Quote from: elk on May 14, 2015, 11:45:01 AM
Can anyone confirm the rumour Rostrevor are running a chartered flight to Prague on Saturday morning, in order to ensure they will have a full team to play and beat the Point tomorrow night?

I can confirm it is a rumour yes.

Down Follower

Quote from: whitegoodman on May 14, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
Why would the point not change the match for them if they have that many lads away?  Is there that much hatred between the clubs?

I've seen Burren switch a match for the Bridge and visversa and there is hardly much love between the two clubs .....

Given the amount of teams to go down this year, it may not have suited the Point to change it and maybe lose one or two of their own players and put the game at risk. Maybe in another season they may have changed.

T O Hare

Clubs should have a bit of common sense with regards to changing games though. Clubs and players don't forget that easily and it will inevitably come back to bite you in the future.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"