Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leftmidfield

Warrenpoint 0.15 Annaclone 1.5
Terrible conditions. Comfortable win for the Point
4 games no defeats for CPN (2 draws though)
Any other scores from today's matches ??

5 Sams

Quote from: Leftmidfield on May 10, 2015, 08:36:04 PM

Harps beat the stone by 5 in atrocious conditions. Burren hammered the Town. RGU beat Saval.
The Aristocrat Years

supersub

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 10, 2015, 09:22:51 PM

Harps beat the stone by 5 in atrocious conditions. Burren hammered the Town. RGU beat Saval.

Rostrevor beat Liatroim by 7

T O Hare

Great performance by the Bridge today against the Ford. We were a point up at the break but blew them away in the second period. Cory Quinn scored two goals with Ryan Brady getting the other one.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

meatsy86

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 10, 2015, 09:22:51 PM

According to the DownGAA results page Stone beat Harps 2-10 to 3-6.

umpire

Quote from: T O Hare on May 11, 2015, 01:55:51 AM
Great performance by the Bridge today against the Ford. We were a point up at the break but blew them away in the second period. Cory Quinn scored two goals with Ryan Brady getting the other one.

Good stuff !

Hedgehunter

Now with a quarter of the season gone,how do folk think things will end up at the end of the season? Top 4 / bottom 6?

rosskarr

Quote from: Hedgehunter on May 12, 2015, 12:47:11 AM
Now with a quarter of the season gone,how do folk think things will end up at the end of the season? Top 4 / bottom 6?
What Div are you talking about here? I see Mallon and Donnelly
have quit the Senior panel. Ryan Mallon is a big loss and even a young
player like Donnelly leaving shows how big the current commitment
is. Hope we see them back in the future.

NP 76

I am disappointed to see two big men who can play football leaving the panel when we are so small all over. In my opinion Mallon should of been a starter and Donnelly at least should of been a lad to work on as a future full back. From what I heard Donnelly was really enjoying keeping focused on the training so I don't think that was a factor. 

wobbller

CPN and Tullylish will be the winners here with this news.

PAULD123

In my opinion there are not enough games for the commitment. In the 90's:

• Squads were rarely bigger than 30,
  • County training was one night a week stretching to two during championship
  • Players played for their clubs when there was no county match that week
  • Training effectively ended at the end of the championship for between 3 and 5 months
A player was happy to make this commitment and accept a squad place just to be part of it, or sit on the bench for a few years getting a bit of action here and there with the chance that in 3-5 years he would get about 5 years of first team football

These days:

• Squads are around 40 (no chance everyone gets even a bit of action),
  • County training is a near full week commitment
  • Players don't play for their clubs for months during the summer (so 10-15 guys play no football at all)
  • Training effectively is a full year commitment with restrictions on alcohol, holidays, and even what you eat

This is the commitment of a professional sports person who is at least being rewarded financially.But still so many young men make this commitment. And they do it for one reason - To play county football. But to play, not just to sit around. How can anyone seriously expect this commitment for five years or so before you get a regular start?

But with only about a dozen games in a season how can all players be accommodated?

If there were a full season of county football, like a single all county league of 31 matches and a knock out championship, then the commitment would be worth it as everyone would get a significant amount of game time and chances to earn the right for more.

The professional level of commitment is too much if we have amateur amounts of games.

elk

Top 4 - Burren,Kilcoo,,Mayobridge 
Bottom 6 - Liatroim,Clanna na Banna,Longstone,Rostrevor,Annaclone and Warrenpoint.

- a bit predictable I know and it's only my opinion.

imagine

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 12, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
In my opinion there are not enough games for the commitment. In the 90's:

• Squads were rarely bigger than 30,
  • County training was one night a week stretching to two during championship
  • Players played for their clubs when there was no county match that week
  • Training effectively ended at the end of the championship for between 3 and 5 months
A player was happy to make this commitment and accept a squad place just to be part of it, or sit on the bench for a few years getting a bit of action here and there with the chance that in 3-5 years he would get about 5 years of first team football

These days:

• Squads are around 40 (no chance everyone gets even a bit of action),
  • County training is a near full week commitment
  • Players don't play for their clubs for months during the summer (so 10-15 guys play no football at all)
  • Training effectively is a full year commitment with restrictions on alcohol, holidays, and even what you eat

This is the commitment of a professional sports person who is at least being rewarded financially.But still so many young men make this commitment. And they do it for one reason - To play county football. But to play, not just to sit around. How can anyone seriously expect this commitment for five years or so before you get a regular start?

But with only about a dozen games in a season how can all players be accommodated?

If there were a full season of county football, like a single all county league of 31 matches and a knock out championship, then the commitment would be worth it as everyone would get a significant amount of game time and chances to earn the right for more.

The professional level of commitment is too much if we have amateur amounts of games.
You may be correct in your observations but it's not
going to stop the Championship beginning this Sunday and ending
in September.

5 Sams

Quote from: elk on May 12, 2015, 02:03:28 PM
Bottom 6 - Liatroim,Clanna na Banna,Longstone,Rostrevor,Annaclone and Warrenpoint.

You have only 3 in your "Top 4" ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Hedgehunter

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 12, 2015, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: elk on May 12, 2015, 02:03:28 PM

You have only 3 in your "Top 4" ;)

Maybe he's leaving the door open for a surprise...