Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

Down will continue to have problems as long as mc corry displays this blind loyalty towards kilcoo players. As for mc ardle he was getting taken to the cleaners before he got the line. Our luck ran out today.

Aristo 60

The positives from the day look to be that every forward scored and we were in it with 14 men until maybe the last 10-15 minutes. Ignoring the 16th man I thought ros got some fine points particularly in the second half from wide positions.

What else was good about down? The supporters certainly turned up, looked from where I was sitting to have outnumbered the opposition 5-1! But supporters don't win trophies.

I always think if down aren't creating goal chances there ain't a hope in hell of winning. No threat today.

hard to know where this defeat will bring us. Saw McIver scouting in the hoganstand he'll hardly be be unduly concerned you'd think. He's seen the importance of our key men, and he'll no doubt have seen a few of our passengers too.

Maybe our boys just didn't want it enough today but you'd have to be a fool to back them on June 7. Hope I'm wrong.

MK

Quote from: elk on April 26, 2015, 07:27:58 PM
Down will continue to have problems as long as mc corry displays this blind loyalty towards kilcoo players. As for mc ardle he was getting taken to the cleaners before he got the line. Our luck ran out today.

Some things never change in Down-Mc Corry favouring Kilcoo players....not so long ago Wee James was accused of favouring Burren men... :-[ :-[
Down have a limited County panel who have exceeded expectations in acheiving promotion to Div. 1 whereas Roscommon are a county on an increasingly upward curve.
Mc Corry will have Down well prepared for Celtic Park .....despite the limitations of his squad

lucan

just imagine the Derry mid-field against ours. We will be living on scraps and start quoting the 94 first round.Look who we had at mid-field then.

Line Ball

You get to Croke Park, expecting a big performance with hunger and aggression and we deliver a lifeless exhibition like that, very disappointing.

Typical first game, second game scenario where we looked like the Minors playing in the first game with the big Seniors coming on after us and showed the wee lads how football should really be played.

Getting to this final is just papering over the cracks as we didn't even deserve to be there as we showed today.  I'd just give Derry a walkover at this stage if today is the best we have to offer.

rosskarr

Shamrocks Gaelp

Offensive enough there from 'Line Ball'. What's the point in being negative when you offer no solution? I personally think that we gave up today in order not to show out true strengths and give away too much before the championship, unlike Monaghan who have completely given away their true tactics against Dublin and are no longer a surprise package as everyone knows what they're now capable of come championships time. I wouldn't exactly read too much into that game however there are some evident problems and cracks in the team. The midfield is the most glaring problem and I believe we have the players but I still don't know why the same combination is tried every time. Also, the 2 man fullforward line has been completely ousted and it no longer works. However positives to take out of that game were some of the good defensive play, especially form Darren O'Hagan and Conal McGovern, and great pressure on the ball from multiple men. It's tough enough to see what will happen come Celtic park but that game imo is not an indicator for anything. Derry will be non the wiser after that dismal display today

ardtole

If the dublin management, with a huge squad at their disposal still see an opportunity to bring in the experience of Alan Brogan for the championship, would it be wise for Down to do the same with Gordon and Ambrose. One in midfield and one at ff would make a big difference.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on April 26, 2015, 11:11:07 PM
Offensive enough there from 'Line Ball'. What's the point in being negative when you offer no solution? I personally think that we gave up today in order not to show out true strengths and give away too much before the championship, unlike Monaghan who have completely given away their true tactics against Dublin and are no longer a surprise package as everyone knows what they're now capable of come championships time. I wouldn't exactly read too much into that game however there are some evident problems and cracks in the team. The midfield is the most glaring problem and I believe we have the players but I still don't know why the same combination is tried every time. Also, the 2 man fullforward line has been completely ousted and it no longer works. However positives to take out of that game were some of the good defensive play, especially form Darren O'Hagan and Conal McGovern, and great pressure on the ball from multiple men. It's tough enough to see what will happen come Celtic park but that game imo is not an indicator for anything. Derry will be non the wiser after that dismal display today

That right there, is the biggest pile of shite ive read on here in a long time.

alba2

Poor enough showing yesterday.  But there are a few positives to take from it.  Even on limited possession - DOnal O'hare did rightly (compared to his last two performances), Peter Fitzpatrick got game time and will surely push for a starting berth against Derry now, Madine getting fitter over the next 5-6 weeks will help his cause for a start.  Thought Mooney showed rightly in flashes today and hit a beautiful point.  Now the club scene starts tonight and hopefully a few fringe players get a bit of recognition with their displays and push on for the Derry game. All is not lost yet.... 
On another point - Croke park when the dubs are playing is some atmosphere.  Yes they think they own it etc - but the buzz their supporters bring to the place is class.

Down Follower

Thought Down did ok with only 14 men - actually thought we played better football when we went down a man than we had with 15 although it def took its toll in the last 10.  We are trying to play a blanket yet we are nowhere near the expertise at playing it compared to Donegal/Monaghan/Tyrone. It looks like it doesnt suit us yet when we open up a bit like what happened yesterday we conecede massive totals.
We still have good footballers and dangerous players, McKernan is a super attacking threat, Laverty and Mooney if/when they gain an understanding of each other will be seriously dangerous.

snoopdog

Quote from: ardtole on April 27, 2015, 08:14:30 AM
If the dublin management, with a huge squad at their disposal still see an opportunity to bring in the experience of Alan Brogan for the championship, would it be wise for Down to do the same with Gordon and Ambrose. One in midfield and one at ff would make a big difference.

totally Agree, Ambrose was a few rows behind me yesterday in the Hogan, looked fit and well. Down were poor yesterday all this hand passing its no better than Rugby League , not one guy can take a shot from any distance. Kick passing virtually non existent. Big Dan and Ambrose would massively inprove that Down team. I believe our defence has improved under McCorry, but it was a poor performance yesterday.  I think we have now lost  4 ulster finals, 4 league finals and an All Ireland Final since 1994 did someone put a curse on us?

Nanderson

All in all it was nice to get a run out in croker but far from the performance that we would have wanted and can't see derry being too worried watching it. I think some posters on here need to get over the fantasy of Ambrose and Gordon making themselves available. If they didn't want to play during the hard winter months and league then you can be sure McCory won't be banging at their doors to get them back. We have limited big men in the county and we just have to work a game plan around securing primary possession through kick outs without relying on breaking even in midfield. I'm sure Aidan Carr wouldn't have imagined going from our top scorer in 2013 to being a make shift full back. Surely conor garvey would have been better suited for this role. PD probably had his quietest game this year. Mooney sort of burst into the game on and off. I don't know whether i'm expecting too much from someone who has played professional football for 3 years. He should be running about the pitch all game with energy to spare (barring his asthmatic problem). His skills are a little rusty too but with games starting now for Rostrevor he will benefit from the extra games. To sum up this post our defense was good and forced roscommon into kicking some amazing points which on another day could have all gone wide. Our midfield was non existent but this has now become a given expectation. Our forwards worked well on limited supplies and competed well. (No need to mention the bizarre sending off) 

ardtole

I would argue that Gordon and Rodgers have proved themselves at the highest level, both have suffered injuries in recent years and slogging through winter is unlikely to have benefitted either of them. For the benefit of the squad they could have been accomodated. Kerry done it for Declan Osullivan last year and reaped the rewards, Dublin are doing similar with Alan Brogan this year, I think the two players in question have done enough over the years to have earned a bit of leeway. I understand McCrory might be taking a long term view with the squad but in a few weeks time against Derry id be more confident with them on board. 

Nanderson

Quote from: ardtole on April 27, 2015, 02:49:17 PM
I would argue that Gordon and Rodgers have proved themselves at the highest level, both have suffered injuries in recent years and slogging through winter is unlikely to have benefitted either of them. For the benefit of the squad they could have been accomodated. Kerry done it for Declan Osullivan last year and reaped the rewards, Dublin are doing similar with Alan Brogan this year, I think the two players in question have done enough over the years to have earned a bit of leeway. I understand McCrory might be taking a long term view with the squad but in a few weeks time against Derry id be more confident with them on board.

I agree that they have been great servants to Down over the hard years but with a new manager its effectively a clean slate for everyone. I would understand if James was in charge as he knows their capabilities but McCory will have only played against them a few times with Kilcoo and won't know if they fit into his plans. Have either of them confirmed they are opting out of the panel this year?