Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leftmidfield

Checked a Down website for Down team for game tonight but no sign. Any word on who the team is ?

Mourne Rover

HT Down 1-5 UUJ 0-3 - any word of the starting team ?

Aristo 60

Its another media black out in Down. Half thinking of taking on the PRO job myself next year!

Mourne Rover

FT Down 1-13 UUJ 1-7. A decent result during what were apparently dreadful conditions. However, the winners of Cavan and Monaghan on Sunday will know exactly what they need to score to top the group.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Darren O'Hagan picked up MOTM and Jerome Johnston got MOTM in the St Mary's and Armagh game (which they lost)

Smurfy123

Poor game!Conditions were very bad for the last 5 minutes but other than that they were ok
Darren O Hagen,Magee,OHare all doing well in the game.Other than that there was very little else to be shouting about on the Down team.Thought Mooney was very good for Jordanstown when he went on his charging runs.Maybe I am being harsh on the lads but I thought it was a very very poor showing.What way does that leave us in the group?What way do we need Monaghan and Cavan to finish up?

Mourne Rover

It looks as though we need a narrow Monaghan win to get us through as group winners. We cannot qualify as the best runner-up because Armagh are likely to finish second in their section with a better scoring average than we have. It is hard to be specific, but any sort of win for Cavan should do them.  If Monaghan have a few points to spare, it may also be enough for them. We are not out of it, but we can probably turn our attention to the league instead.

Lazer

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 14, 2015, 10:24:01 PM
It looks as though we need a narrow Monaghan win to get us through as group winners. We cannot qualify as the best runner-up because Armagh are likely to finish second in their section with a better scoring average than we have. It is hard to be specific, but any sort of win for Cavan should do them.  If Monaghan have a few points to spare, it may also be enough for them. We are not out of it, but we can probably turn our attention to the league instead.

Does head to head come into it if 2 teams finish level or is it simply on scoring average?
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

outinfront

Back to club fooball for a second.

What is the deal with promotion, relegation, etc this year with the leagues seemingly being restructured again for next year?

Also any idea when fixtures are out?

5 Sams

Was very impressed with Magee last night. V comfortable on the ball and strong going forward. Prob right that O'Hagan got MOM. Our defence was v solid I thought apart from the howler by Kane. I was disappointed in the poly as I expected more from their stars esp. O'Connor and Mooney.....though Mattie Donnelly was excellent. Nice position to be in when you can spring a sub like McBrearty from the bench. Would they be among the favourites for the Sigerson?
The Aristocrat Years

snoopdog

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 15, 2015, 10:02:56 AM
Was very impressed with Magee last night. V comfortable on the ball and strong going forward. Prob right that O'Hagan got MOM. Our defence was v solid I thought apart from the howler by Kane. I was disappointed in the poly as I expected more from their stars esp. O'Connor and Mooney.....though Mattie Donnelly was excellent. Nice position to be in when you can spring a sub like McBrearty from the bench. Would they be among the favourites for the Sigerson?
I think uuj meet dcu in their first game. They would be the 2 favs  in many people's eyes.

Smurfy123

Had time to think about the game.Mooney was quite poor but in saying that no midfielder really stood out for either team.It was not a night for high fielding but can't recall one clean catch being made around the midfield area?Does last nights performance affect Mooneys selection for the Kildare game do you think 5sams?It my take him a while to get back into the run of things.He made 2 great runs either half but at Intercounty level that's not good enough.Thought DOH was the pick of our forwards getting a few points from play and winning every ball that came into him.Half forward line all nice on the ball but no end product at all.We need a Paul Flynn like half forward who gets up and down the pitch plus Knicks over 2-3 from play most games.

5 Sams

You're right that was O'Hares best game in a while. Would Mooney be able the play the Flynn type role you talk about. He certainly has the engine and speed. It'll be interesting to see how McCorry uses him.
The Aristocrat Years

Smurfy123

No I don't think he could.That role is not as easy as it looks.Flynn knows where to be when the other team is building an attack.He also knows when to appear up in the forward line to chip in with scores.The midfield and half forward line are struggling badly against average teams.Need Poland back in as soon as he come back as we have got very little from 8-12 from the few games that we have played.The front 8 I would like to see start against Kildare
Mooney
McKernan
Johnstone
Poland
Johnstone
Laverty
McConville
O Hare

NP 76

Money's kick passing last night was atrocious he did take a super score but apart from that he contributed very little. A few times we were caught with both our midfielders puahing forward then when it broke down they couldn't get back in time to help out