Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Moss

Quote from: redandblackareback on October 03, 2014, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on October 03, 2014, 01:05:58 PM
Danny Hughes didn't hold back in his column in today's Irish News, pretty scathing of the county board.

Not the first time he has had a pop at his own county, distasteful, tacky and very disappointing from Danny, considering he was just a very ordinary player with bad habits in his game who Mc Cartan managed to get the best out off in 2010.

On the current management issue, Copeland as trainer would concern me, has this been confirmed or just hear say? What is Copeland's history in men's football? If Mc Corry was going to take anyone from Kilcoo surely it would have been Paddy Murray or Johnston, not the man who carries the water for them.

I have a feeling the backroom team will be announced immediately after the league and championship finals this weekend, it has to be, because open trials for the senior team start next wednesday night.

It hasn't been confirmed but it is speculated that Mark will be on McCorry's team. I wouldn't be too sure of his history but he has been involved with a few successful teams with Newry tech.

I think it's a bit disrespectful that you're stating that all Mark does is carry water to the players! He's an excellent trainer and has been one of the main reasons that Kilcoo have been flying fit! There's more to the man than carrying water

charlieTully

Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2014, 11:35:43 PM
Ordinary player ?  :o

he was a very talented hard working player but he was wild greedy when playing for Down.

washed_up

away from this thread breaking news is that Jim McGuiness has stepped down from the Donegal post as manager-

NP 76

Mark Copeland was announced at the same county board meetin as Jim Mc Corry was as part of Mc Corrys back room team by our chairman Seamus Walsh

NP 76

A lot of the articles that Danny has written-have been having a go at management and the county board. This is very poor taste from a good servant to Down who I would believe was well enough looked after during his playing days. People will soon get sick of listening to this personal gripe which he is sharing with the irish news readers. He isn't doing himself any favours with players and mentors that he has been involved with. Poor work I think

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: charlieTully on October 03, 2014, 05:08:02 PM
no ambition.no investment.

Throwing money at problems (also known as "investment" to some) would be an issue if the ol bank account is already looking bad.

I don't see how the county board are to blame for the same problem we've had in the past 20 years. No full back line of the standard required in the county.
i usse an speelchekor

charlieTully

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 04, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on October 03, 2014, 05:08:02 PM
no ambition.no investment.

Throwing money at problems (also known as "investment" to some) would be an issue if the ol bank account is already looking bad.

I don't see how the county board are to blame for the same problem we've had in the past 20 years. No full back line of the standard required in the county.

not my opinion, was just giving a very brief synopsis of Danny Hughes column in reply to Brick.

SHEEDY

like it or not, what danny says is right. some people don't want to hear the truth. down are being left behind.
nil satis nisi optimum

bcarrier

Danny Hughes was a top class player.

Something lacking in the county now - schools not as strong as before ?

Mourne Rover

Down teams are often capable of doing the unexpected in a one-off game but our record in the three grades of the Ulster championship over the last two decades is poor by any standards.  We have managed none out of 20 at senior level, three out of 20 at u21 and one out of 20 at minor. In other words, we have won four of the last 60 Ulster titles available to us.

This year, in a familiar pattern, we were beaten in the first round of all three competitions. It would be wrong to focus unduly on one side, but it was still pretty alarming to watch our minors against what turned out to be a fairly ordinary Tyrone who were beaten by Monaghan in the next round. Tyrone were bigger, stronger and fitter than us in all sectors, and the match was over as a contest after about 15 minutes.

It is possible that we have been unlucky on a couple of occasions along the way but the evidence is that we are falling behind many of our main rivals. Danny Hughes has made his contribution to a wider debate, and it is up to everyone involved to say whether he is right or wrong.

supersub

Hard to see past Kilcoo tomorrow?

johnneycool

Quote from: Line Ball on October 03, 2014, 10:46:51 PM

What is strange is the fact that he failed to mention that his main gripe in a team meeting after the 2005 defeat by Tyrone was nothing to do with the selection or performance on the field but rather that the jerseys were too big and that he wanted them tighter to show the work he/they were doing in the gym.  He is only pushing one agenda and that is his own.

This was the era of the god awful gaelic gear jerseys and they really were ill fitting.

5 Sams

Quote from: johnneycool on October 04, 2014, 10:00:03 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on October 03, 2014, 10:46:51 PM

What is strange is the fact that he failed to mention that his main gripe in a team meeting after the 2005 defeat by Tyrone was nothing to do with the selection or performance on the field but rather that the jerseys were too big and that he wanted them tighter to show the work he/they were doing in the gym.  He is only pushing one agenda and that is his own.

This was the era of the god awful gaelic gear jerseys and they really were ill fitting.

+1. I remember Gregory's number being down round his arse somewhere.
The Aristocrat Years

Town Gael

Conor Laverty got the best goal I have ever seen in a County Final today. Kilcoo the better team on the day though mistakes from Burren players and the ref made it more comfortable than it should have been. Noone will want to face them in Ulster

Oglach

Magpies were much better in 2nd half and deserved their win. Can't blame the ref on this one.
Congratulations to Bryansford on winning the league also, 1st since 1978 i believe.
                                    #UTM