Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Pangurban on September 28, 2014, 08:34:46 PM
Brilliant performance from the Girls, desrving of more recognition than they currently receive

+ serious performance. And the bainisteoir is in with McCorry next year from what I hear.
The Aristocrat Years

umpire

Fantastic result for Down ladies. Also pleased for the 3 Mayobridge's girls.
Congratulations to all members of Down Ladies panel and to Mark Copeland

OnTheLine

A great win yesterday for the ladies. What was noticeable was the spread of clubs and the age profile of the team - I know ladies football in general has a younger age profile, but this is a young panel (if not team..). I think something like 10 of the panel came from the good minor squads of 2010 & 2011, and there were a few girls even younger - obviously someone's doing something right with underage development. The mix of more established players and younger ones has really worked this year. The step up to senior (as shown by the Dublin/Cork final) is steep, but there are the players there to compete well, given time, commitment and the right coaching.

Brick Tamlin

Wouldn't be one for the'ladies' football but yesterday was decently entertaining. (Couldn't watch the golf and this was the only football on tv)
Down took some lovely scores and did very well by all accounts. Fair play to them all.

Caught the Mourne derby on Friday night. Fairly decent game again. Ballymartin couldn't contain Clarke at all and every time he got the ball he scared the shite out of their defence. If he had another decent forward alongside him they would probably won the game.Ballymartin had the better forward line and they always looked the more dangerous even when the goals were conceded. Ye could sense Ballymartin not panicking and clawing their way back into the game to overtake the Kingdom with minutes remaining.
Twas a passionate encounter from a neutral perspective. Both sets of fans giving it socks and the players fairly getting lumped in. Kingdom would probably be disappointed with their season, no promotion gained and knocked out by their neighbours in last 4. Ballymartin are in the final on merit but to honest the pick of both these teams wouldn't put a scratch on a strong 'Point team. Wouldn't give them a prayer against the Point.

On the management issue, what is the actual story with McCorry's backroom team. Has it been made public yet or is it just speculation at this stage.?

elk

Would have to agree Ballymartin did struggle to contain Clarke and they will have a double handful in the final with Mc Garry and Mc Aleenan from Warrenpoint both in fine form this year. The one area of the pitch were I think Ballymartin may have some success is the middle of the park. The couple of times I watched the point this year, midfield would probably be the one area they struggle during games. Still think the Point will win.

NP 76

The only one confirmed to go with Mc Corry is mark Copeland

Predictor

Is there a U20 r U21 Championship this year if so when?
and if so whos all in it so far?

Hedgehunter

U21 I think.. I know Glenn are training for it.

charlieTully

Danny Hughes didn't hold back in his column in today's Irish News, pretty scathing of the county board.

Brick Tamlin

No1

He took a fair old swipe at McCartan's management and his various selectors also.  Seemed a bitter enough article but nothing written that some supporters haven't said already.  It was kinda strange hearing it come from someone who would command a fair amount of respect in Down.

Line Ball

Quote from: No1 on October 03, 2014, 07:16:17 PM
He took a fair old swipe at McCartan's management and his various selectors also.  Seemed a bitter enough article but nothing written that some supporters haven't said already.  It was kinda strange hearing it come from someone who would command a fair amount of respect in Down.

What is strange is the fact that he failed to mention that his main gripe in a team meeting after the 2005 defeat by Tyrone was nothing to do with the selection or performance on the field but rather that the jerseys were too big and that he wanted them tighter to show the work he/they were doing in the gym.  He is only pushing one agenda and that is his own.  He also takes a swipe at the Ross/DJ era earlier in the piece about "over-promising players", eh?  What is over promising? I can only think it's about Ross promising 20 players that they would be in his starting team, he obviously forgot that that he could only play 15 and this ended up in being one "humdinger" of a meeting.

redandblackareback

Quote from: charlieTully on October 03, 2014, 01:05:58 PM
Danny Hughes didn't hold back in his column in today's Irish News, pretty scathing of the county board.

Not the first time he has had a pop at his own county, distasteful, tacky and very disappointing from Danny, considering he was just a very ordinary player with bad habits in his game who Mc Cartan managed to get the best out off in 2010.

On the current management issue, Copeland as trainer would concern me, has this been confirmed or just hear say? What is Copeland's history in men's football? If Mc Corry was going to take anyone from Kilcoo surely it would have been Paddy Murray or Johnston, not the man who carries the water for them.

I have a feeling the backroom team will be announced immediately after the league and championship finals this weekend, it has to be, because open trials for the senior team start next wednesday night.

orangeman