Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forevergreen

Quote from: downjim on June 26, 2014, 11:50:53 AM
Are the 3 kilcoo boys really missing Sundays game???

Just seen back of Irish News, shocking that 3 lads who have featured in Down's previous games see fit to leave panel behind to go on holiday!!

That's some kick in the balls for Jerome Snr, what are they thinking when they would leave him in lurch or is the bigger question, how or why is Jerome Snr letting them go.

Regardless of reasoning, that has to be them off the panel for the duration of this season and hopefully a run in the qualifiers.

People talk about James building a team around youth and giving youth a chance, why would he when their allegiance lies with sunning themselve rather than putting in the hard yards with Down.

Line Ball

Quote from: forevergreen on June 26, 2014, 05:44:15 PM

Just seen back of Irish News, shocking that 3 lads who have featured in Down's previous games see fit to leave panel behind to go on holiday!!

That's some kick in the balls for Jerome Snr, what are they thinking when they would leave him in lurch or is the bigger question, how or why is Jerome Snr letting them go.

Regardless of reasoning, that has to be them off the panel for the duration of this season and hopefully a run in the qualifiers.

People talk about James building a team around youth and giving youth a chance, why would he when their allegiance lies with sunning themselve rather than putting in the hard yards with Down.

Apart from Jerome Jnr who has been starting games, why would the other two stay?  Ryan was one of the main reasons for bringing us back into the first game against Tyrone and what is his reward, 15 minutes in the replay.  If you were naming the top 5 club players in Down over the last few years, I guarantee that most would put Paul up there but obviously James doesn't think so. How much game time has he been given this year in either Mc Kenna Cup, League or Championship?  Very little from a top scorer in club football when we are crying out for scoring forwards.

The question that must be asked is why have so many players decided to leave the panel this year?  The likes of Danny Savage, David Mc Kibben, Connaire Harrison, Darragh O'Hanlon all have left earlier this year and now the Kilcoo 3 with also a few more as well. So much for building a team around youth and giving youth a chance

charlieTully

Quote from: Line Ball on June 26, 2014, 07:26:26 PM

Apart from Jerome Jnr who has been starting games, why would the other two stay?  Ryan was one of the main reasons for bringing us back into the first game against Tyrone and what is his reward, 15 minutes in the replay.  If you were naming the top 5 club players in Down over the last few years, I guarantee that most would put Paul up there but obviously James doesn't think so. How much game time has he been given this year in either Mc Kenna Cup, League or Championship?  Very little from a top scorer in club football when we are crying out for scoring forwards.

The question that must be asked is why have so many players decided to leave the panel this year?  The likes of Danny Savage, David Mc Kibben, Connaire Harrison, Darragh O'Hanlon all have left earlier this year and now the Kilcoo 3 with also a few more as well. So much for building a team around youth and giving youth a chance

its hard to agree with your logic there lineball, fair enough a lot of people would agree ryan should have started the replay but he didnt, doesnt give him the right to fcuk off on a holiday, stinking attitude from the three of them. I would agree that questions do need to be asked on why so many players are leaving the panal, its becoming the norm this last couple of years. a lot of the current young players dont seem to care a dam.

Line Ball

Quote from: charlieTully on June 26, 2014, 07:44:54 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on June 26, 2014, 07:26:26 PM

its hard to agree with your logic there lineball, fair enough a lot of people would agree ryan should have started the replay but he didnt, doesnt give him the right to fcuk off on a holiday, stinking attitude from the three of them. I would agree that questions do need to be asked on why so many players are leaving the panal, its becoming the norm this last couple of years. a lot of the current young players dont seem to care a dam.

So these young lads train their balls off, make the sacrfices, get no club game time, then get no game county time.  Why would they persist with committing to a process where they give plenty but get nothing in return?  It's not just the Kilcoo 3 but the others who I have mentioned Danny Savage, David Mc Kibben, Connaire Harrison, Darragh O'Hanlon and throw in the likes of Jamie O'Reilly & Kalum King who won't commit.  You can't blame the players all the time though. 

You are also right about players not giving a damn but I don't think this is a problem unique to Down football.

downjim

Unless your an exceptional talent you don't have the divine right to walk onto a county team.You have to work for a few years and take your chance.
If a club minor went on holiday during a club championship the management would be going beserk.this does not bode well for the future. Has Dan McCarten, Ambrose , Benny or the likes ever missed a game due to holidays. They would give their right arm to play for Down.
I guarantee they would not have missed a Kilcoo championship game. They should not be allowed back on the panel.

Line Ball

Explain the absence of the others from the county set up.  Why are they not involved?

stiff breeze

County management deserve all they get after the ridiculous decision to bring dan gordan back a week before a game and starting him. I'd say they lost the subs after that.

Pangurban

Shows a definite lack of committment and discipline. It probably wont effect us against Leitrim, but there is a principle involved, are management controlling the panel properly

ardtole

In fairness to Dan Gordan, he has given Down at least a dozen years of service, he was returning from injury as well and was apparently playing well for Loughinisland. He has earned the right for James to take a chance on him. I dont think this problem is unique to Down either, I think the Galway captain Bradshaw last year left for the states after Mayo hammered them, i see he is back in Galway team this year as well.

Line Ball

Quote from: Pangurban on June 26, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
Shows a definite lack of committment and discipline. It probably wont effect us against Leitrim, but there is a principle involved, are management controlling the panel properly

Maybe it's a lack of knowledge on your part but a management does not control a panel but it should handle it properly.

EagleLord

if them lads want to go on holiday, let them at it. who would begrudge a young fella a holiday in the sun for a week with his mates. Only young once etc etc. Same as going to Oz or USA for the summer. Young lads shouldn't be hung publically or on discusson boards for it. End of the day, football is ahobbie. Its handy enough for oul men in crowds to give off about young fellas not giving a shite, because that suits them. football was better, men were harder bla bla bla. them lads train their guts out 5 n 6 times a week. their commitmet isn't in queston there. realistically, can you work n base your whole life around football? maybe yes, plenty do.. but is that a smart thing to do? i know young lads who he turned down good job opportunities abroad and in the city, because it wouldn't suit club training. And that a division2 club player.

any player, talented r not, could say 'na ye know what, couldn't be arsed with that anymore, i will play 5a side with the lads instead, or i will play thirds'. and i wouldn't blame them. for all we know, a lad like Danny savage is tonight thinking that. That all the BS he goes through might not be worth it and just drop out of the game.

islandchampions08

I bet you would be the first person to stand up and say that the Gaa players of the modern era should not be paid for what they do  as in train 5/6 nights a week sit in most weekends and not get a penny for it, yet when they decide to go on holidays they are a disgrace.

Kieran mcgeenay sums it up beautifully here at how the so called supporters of our county teams have double standards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qbXGuuHQs

Brick Tamlin

The Bryansford players mentioned were more than likely 'convinced' by their new manager that it would be in their best interests and their club's best interests if they were to pursue silverware with their club this year. Lets face it, they have a better chance of winning a championship there than lifting Sam. Did O'Hanlon not leave of his own accord in spectacular fashion?
Players have a choice, young or old. Nobody forces them to be there. If they are willing to make the sacrifices and get on board then great. Buy into the system, put your head down and get on with things. Otherwise, if you feel harshly treated or hard done by in some fashion then you can simply walk away and play for your club, travel the world, go on holidays etc.
Someone else will come along behind all those previously named players and gladly take up their place on the panel. Eaglelord if ye could explain all the 'bullshit' that Danny Savage (as an example) as gone through it might prove useful.
Some of us would also do well to remember whether we like it or not, a lot of players are on panels to be used as training cones and to push the others on, they will never feature heavily nor be used when it matters. Their function as part of the panel of players is to drive others to work harder and provide competition. If you don't want to be a training cone someone else will be. Might be harsh but its true.

Its beggar's believe that any player who is serious about being an intercounty footballer and wants to progress to the highest level and fulfil his potential on the biggest stage in our games, would book holidays for the peak season where the risk of a clash with games is a distinct possibility. The most dedicated of club players wouldn't do it imho.

Line Ball

Great result today but was it really any big surprise.  The question I have to ask is who do the Mc Cartan's think they are?  Eoin back in the panel again, what is that all about?  The man can't train yet he is fit to play for Down, catch a grip would you.  Talk about cutting a stick for people, like me, to beat you with.  I just think it is pathetic.

The Raven

Sure all the 3 killcoo holiday makers have to say is they are not fit to train but are able to play and everything will be alright