Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

When Greg Blayney started his county career he would only have played div 4 with Ballycran. Tullylish were a good bit off senior when wee james started out. I dont know if McPartland from Glenn is still injured but anytime I saw him play for Down he performed well. Kilcoo were in the ulster final last season as well you have to remember, Crossmaglen couldnt beat them. I dont think we should be restricting ourselves to just experienced div one footballers only. I dont think many of the 91 team would have met that criteria gaaman.

Hedgehunter

Gaamann, your basing your opinion solely on what most would say should have been Glenn's most difficult game to date and it proved to be the case. Niall Mcparland is still carrying an injury and has only played a handful of minutes this season. Glenn were missing a lot of their spine lastnite thru injuries and weddings and whatever else. I know most will say every team has these problem and yes I agree but that was Glenn's weakest team of the season to date. They will be back.

Mourne Rover

Ardtole, Ballycran did not have a football team when Greg Blaney started off so he played for Carryduff instead. He switched back to Ballycran when they briefly fielded in both codes much later in his career. However, like James McCartan, his club status did not really matter. Both of them were noted as exceptional underage talents while attending St Colman's College and it was inevitable that they would be brought into the senior county squad at an early stage.

Leonardo

91 Team was full off Div 1 players with exception of Paul Higgins, Peter Withnell and James McCartan. I'm sure the remainder were all Div 1. Also, Ballymartin and Drumaness achieved promotion to Div 1 around this time - did Tullylish get to 1 as well?

gaamann

I take all your points all I am saying is it helps no one in Glenn to start talking about county players on the Glenn team its not helpful especially the players they are young lads and need to develop before we can start talking about Down and as for James and Greg they only come along every 20 years or so and yes I do know we were short last night and yes they will bounce back but maybe not next week Downpatrick will be a difficult game

ardtole

Mournerover, i remember Blaney playing in Ardglass and id be pretty sure it wasnt the end of his career definitley before 91. Out of the 91 team id say Blaney and Linden played div 4 at some stage of their career. Higgins, Deegan, Collins, Breen, Kelly, Withnall all played div 3 and possibly DJ im not sure when he left mitchells. Regardless, my initial point in regard to Gaaman was you shouldnt have to prove yourself exclusively in div one for a sustained period of time to be considered for the county team. I appreciate most of the above players played in div one for most of their careers but not exclusively.

The Raven

Are under 16's allowed to be on the under 17 development squad? I hear at least 1 was at u17's on Thursday night. Surely he should be with u16's and give under 17's a fair chance. If on the other hand it's open to any age then why have seperate squads. Time to check dates of birth Conor!!!

Line Ball

Quote from: The Raven on June 08, 2014, 12:08:42 AM
Are under 16's allowed to be on the under 17 development squad? I hear at least 1 was at u17's on Thursday night. Surely he should be with u16's and give under 17's a fair chance. If on the other hand it's open to any age then why have seperate squads. Time to check dates of birth Conor!!!

During an exam break for U.16 and Minor player meaning no mid week games, they then put on a Thursday night training session, are they for real?

Mourne Rover

Ardtole, your previous post said; `When Greg Blayney started his county career he would only have played div 4 with Ballycran'. Blaney was clearly with Carryduff when he started his senior county football career in 1981. You are correct that Mickey Linden played in all four divisions, but like Blaney he was also recognised as an exceptional talent from his earliest days. Players of their ability will always make the county squads, and the debate here is really about how the marginal calls are made by the selectors.

Line Ball

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 08, 2014, 12:36:52 AM
Ardtole, your previous post said; `When Greg Blayney started his county career he would only have played div 4 with Ballycran'. Blaney was clearly with Carryduff when he started his senior county football career in 1981. You are correct that Mickey Linden played in all four divisions, but like Blaney he was also recognised as an exceptional talent from his earliest days. Players of their ability will always make the county squads, and the debate here is really about how the marginal calls are made by the selectors.

Do you have a question?

Tony Baloney

Posting so I have top post in 4 main categories. Wont be back.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: thebar on June 07, 2014, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on June 07, 2014, 02:25:50 PM
Quote from: gaamann on June 06, 2014, 10:33:29 PM
Just home from Kilcoo v Glenn great performance from Kilcoo showed Glenn have a lot of work still to do when the first goal went in Glenn fell apart Kilcoo had better forwards and Glenn's main men didn't turn up hope its a realty check for some of our posters on here

I don't think anyone on here is surprised that Kilcoo beat Glenn at home, gaaman, so no reality check here. Kilcoo's score taking was outstanding, but I think it is a testament to Glenn's psyche and fitness levels that their strongest quarter was the final one.
At the start of the year, you would have picked this one as Glenn's toughest challenge; it is all about how they react to this defeat, get back up and go at it again. And the attitude they had at the end of the game last night gives me every confidence that they will.

I wouldnt agree with that - Glenn started well with the aid of a fair breeze and their best period was easily the start of the game...after the first 15 mins or so Kilcoo got on top as expected and Glenn didnt trouble them much after that...Glenn done well considering who they were playing (County champions) but they offered little after the 1st 15 mins.

I am coming from the point of view that, in the first quarter, Glenn's tails were up, and I believe, only for that crappy goal, the game would have been closer.
I have stood on too many fields, getting trounced, and the team allowing it to continue until the final whistle. What I seen from the Glenn team last night was a resolution to see out the game, especially with the attitude of the subs they introduced.
To a man they kept fighting. Yes, they looked more fluid in the first ten minutes, but the character they showed when the game was lost  told me more about this team than when the score was 0-0.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

forevergreen

Quote from: Line Ball on June 08, 2014, 12:29:43 AM
Quote from: The Raven on June 08, 2014, 12:08:42 AM

During an exam break for U.16 and Minor player meaning no mid week games, they then put on a Thursday night training session, are they for real?
[/quote

Agree with you there line ball, if its a break - its a break. I am sure the clubs would be keeping Minors who are working or in apprenticeships ticking over this week. Can see any constructive gain in training a county development team when I am sure at least half are away.

With regard to having U16 with U17 squad, I would think if the player in question is a dominant player at U16 then he will benefit more from going to next level up and having toexert himself more, rather than getting it easy or easier at his own level. This in the longterm should make him a better player.

umpire

of 16 teams playing in this year Down Senior Football Championship, its possible to see 4 of them playing in next year Down Intermediate Championship!!

Hedgehunter

Quote from: umpire on June 08, 2014, 12:46:41 PM
of 16 teams playing in this year Down Senior Football Championship, its possible to see 4 of them playing in next year Down Intermediate Championship!!

Maximum of 2 senior teams playing in the intermediate is it not? The bottom two senior teams will automatically relegated to intermediate status to be replaced by the top 2 intermediate teams. Drumgath would need to win the senior championship and a team that finishes outside the top 2 in div 2 would need to win the intermediate for the 3rd n 4th bottom teams to be then relegated to the intermediate championship?