Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedgehunter

Sorry guys you are all mistaken.. It's Mattie bagnall that's putting up the big scores. Liam plays the CHB/Sweeper role.

NP 76

Liam Bagnall was asked into the county panel but declined the offer as far as I am led to believe. A class act who would walk straight in not only to the panel but to the starting 15. Unfortunately his alliangence lies withe the soccer

Down Follower

Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 03, 2014, 02:16:14 PM
Sorry guys you are all mistaken.. It's Mattie bagnall that's putting up the big scores. Liam plays the CHB/Sweeper role.

That is true.  That could be two players worth a look then :-)

supersub

I did think Liam was more defensive and Mattie was the forward but wasn't 100% Liam wasn't playing further forward too. There you go, two great players.

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 03, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Hmmm play in front of thousands for your county or play in front of 2 men and a dog in the shitty Irish League?
Decisions decisions.

Indeed, Liam was over the water with Middlesborough if I'm not mistaken so a top class player in both codes. No matter how shitty it is or isn't it is still the top level you can play at over here plus the monetary addition, would swing a few boys alright.

Brick Tamlin

Ye could count on yer hand the amount of fellas that 'make it' overseas playing saccer.
Better off playing for your club and county and retaining a sense of local identity and pride for something tangible.
How many players on Warrenpoint FC team are from Wpt?
How many of them came from local schools, worked their way up through the youth ranks in the local club, work locally, have family who contribute to the club in various ways, contribute to the fabric of the community locally?

But then again who cares. Sure its a locka pound.

Hedgehunter

People will be surprised but I'd say it's actually less than a lock of pound.. Liam will play and has played his Gaelic regardless of the soccer.. When Glenn were pushing for the Div 2 League title he played the final few games for us on Saturdays even though the soccer was on. I think he would always choose Gaa over the soccer these days.

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 03, 2014, 05:10:18 PM
Ye could count on yer hand the amount of fellas that 'make it' overseas playing saccer.
Better off playing for your club and county and retaining a sense of local identity and pride for something tangible.
How many players on Warrenpoint FC team are from Wpt?
How many of them came from local schools, worked their way up through the youth ranks in the local club, work locally, have family who contribute to the club in various ways, contribute to the fabric of the community locally?

But then again who cares. Sure its a locka pound.

Actually one of the things I like about Warrenpoint Town is that most of the panel are from Newry & Mourne, and the team that played in the Premier division was largely that which got them there. A handful of them would have come through the ranks from wee fellas too.

---

The other point to bear in mind here is that some people just prefer playing soccer.

Brick Tamlin

Newry & Mourne is a large sprawling region.
I was lead to believe there are maybe 4 players at the most from Warrenpoint on that team. Maybe im wrong.

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 04, 2014, 11:56:31 AM
Newry & Mourne is a large sprawling region.
I was lead to believe there are maybe 4 players at the most from Warrenpoint on that team. Maybe im wrong.

Newry & Mourne might be a large enough area in terms of acreage (by Irish standards) but the population density could easily be fitted into East Belfast, or Derry City. But more importantly, seeing as Warrenpoint is the only Senior soccer club in the entire area, would they not be entitled to pull from all parts of it?

https://twitter.com/warrenpointtown/status/460045219787190272/photo/1 is their last teamsheet of the season.

I don't know all the players, but those I do know of are all from within 10 miles of their ground.

supersub

I was going to reply to the 'local' argument earlier but didn't bother - but since someone has now - all of the point squad bar one or two are from Point/Rostrevor/Newry, hardly like they are being shipped in from China. A good few have come through the underage ranks. I know your post is anti soccer rather than anti point but point are a bad example to use for the 'local' argument.

Brick Tamlin

I stand by what I say.
How many are Point people, came from Point, grew up there, went to school there, families are involved in the club, contribute to the local community and will spend their playing careers there, then go on to stay involved in the club afterwards?
Its a drop-in centre and the door will keep revolving for years to come. Players have no loyalty or affiliation to the club nor the area it resides in.
Its an alien notion to me that someone would want to travel with a soccer team on a Saturday to east Belfast to play in front of 20 people rather than play for a club in a local senior derby with the whole village/town out supporting. Just my view, each to their own.

downup

Lads is this what we have come to??? Why are we worrying what Warrenpoint Town do??? They are one club in the area and we in the GAA should not be worrying about them, I'm sure they don't worry about us. Most Sunday mornings nearly every club in this county has between 30-60 children at their pitch playing gaelic games. It is our job to ensure that we make it enjoyable and attractive to these kids that they want to keep coming back week in week out and that over the winter months we also provide something for them. If we do this then all the soccer clubs that want can form but the children, and in time, adults, will have gaelic games as there number one sport. I have nothing against soccer or those who play it, but I'm a gaa man and for me it comes first and I hope we can all work to have it that way throughout our county.

elk

Quote from: supersub on June 04, 2014, 01:38:11 PM
I was going to reply to the 'local' argument earlier but didn't bother - but since someone has now - all of the point squad bar one or two are from Point/Rostrevor/Newry, hardly like they are being shipped in from China. A good few have come through the underage ranks. I know your post is anti soccer rather than anti point but point are a bad example to use for the 'local' argument.
Most of the players are from a 10 mile radius but looking at the last team sheet maybe only two of the subs ( Boyle and Smith ) have come through the underage ranks.

supersub

Quote from: downup on June 04, 2014, 03:02:26 PM
Lads is this what we have come to??? Why are we worrying what Warrenpoint Town do??? They are one club in the area and we in the GAA should not be worrying about them, I'm sure they don't worry about us. Most Sunday mornings nearly every club in this county has between 30-60 children at their pitch playing gaelic games. It is our job to ensure that we make it enjoyable and attractive to these kids that they want to keep coming back week in week out and that over the winter months we also provide something for them. If we do this then all the soccer clubs that want can form but the children, and in time, adults, will have gaelic games as there number one sport. I have nothing against soccer or those who play it, but I'm a gaa man and for me it comes first and I hope we can all work to have it that way throughout our county.

It's just a discussion, we haven't come to anything!

Each is entitled to a view as BT stated.

WTFC underage teams would have as many if not more numbers than a lot of GAA teams but it doesn't mean one sport is better than the other. All about providing enjoyment for the kids and a social aspect outside school which keeps them out of harms way be it GAA, soccer, swimming, rugby or whatever.

Oglach

Prediction competition taking place, give it a stab guys. Bita craic.