Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Anyone know much about this new qualifier system?

I know Down are in pot B and play on 28th June but does anyone know who else is in their group?

drici

Quote from: whitegoodman on May 29, 2014, 03:45:27 PM

Anyone know much about this new qualifier system?

I know Down are in pot B and play on 28th June but does anyone know who else is in their group?

Saturday 28th June 2014
All Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 1B
Losers of: Armagh v Cavan  Tyrone v Down(v Monaghan)  Roscommon v Leitrim  Clare v Waterford  Westmeath v Louth(v Kildare)  Carlow v Meath

whitegoodman

downjim

Quote from: elk on May 29, 2014, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: forevergreen on May 28, 2014, 11:16:07 PM

Quote from: supersub on May 28, 2014, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 28, 2014, 12:17:19 AM
Quote from: downjim on May 27, 2014, 11:41:37 PM
I heard a rumour today that a ref was assaulted in a reserve final. Sad day and I hope the culprit is banned heavily.
We are in dire straits at the minute in Burren. The confidence is lost  but with our full squad back we can still compete with the best.

Reserve Final?? Bit early for that...

Felix Darby?

Quote from: forevergreen on May 27, 2014, 10:12:49 PM
WGM that's harsh, but definitely some questionable decisions made along line but that also happened in the championship final last year too.

Truth is Burren are still missing Cathal Murdock, Gerard McCartan, Declan Rooney, Anton McArdle and Shay McArdle, add in Kevin, Donal, Dan and its a big loss.

However we were still winning tonight a relinquished a 3 or 4 point lead, we lacked fight and belief in key areas.

The management must now sort out the players that are there and ensure they are playing for the jersey and playing for their places.

Too many boys in cruise control and badly in need of a rocket.

Its upto Paddy Carr and Gavin Murdock to ensure that everyone is pushed to the limit to get things back on track and moving forward.

That will tell whether they can emulate Frank or Mickey or Jimmy as you put it.

Can't really count Rooney he doesn't play for Burren sure! Are the likes of Sean Murdock, James McGovern, Conor Toner, Eamon Toner etc playing?

Ok Rooney has transferrred but on top of those mentioned James McGovern is in australia, Eamonn McGovern suffered a horrific knee injury and is out, Alan Higgins who was our immediate cover in midfield is also in america.

Its a real test for the remaining players and a bigger test for the management to get them winning again and doing anything of note this year.

Thankfully our county players and panellists should be back in the fold now.
Surely it was only a matter of time before Burren would hit a barren patch at senior level. You can't rely on blow ins forever to bring you success. Now they have to use true home grown talent we will see just how strong Burren are as a senior team. The east down clubs look to hold the aces at the moment.

It's about time they done something up there. Come down to watch our underage to see what's Barren

NP 76

There is definitely massive numbers at underage in burren is there not a bus that goes down the Warrenpoint road in Newry to lift lads for training each week

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Uptheyellas on May 28, 2014, 02:42:55 PM
Quote from: downup on May 27, 2014, 09:48:14 AM
Clonduff on the other hand were very poor, seemed to have no ideas going forward and were very poor in defence. They are definitely a club in trouble at the minute. With the big number in Div 1 they will probably survive but only just. Aidan Carr was a big miss last night and Darren O'Hagan made his first appearance of the year for the club which was a boost. Rumours are that Arthur Mc Conville is heading to America again for the summer to play football. They have some good young footballers but maybe too much being expected of the too soon.

Anybody who knows anything about down football will know it is the second half of the season that counts in division 1 and to say we are "definitely a club in big trouble" being 1 point of fifth place is just nonsense. The game was never over until the last minute in clonduff yesterday. Glenn relied on a decent defence and a good counter attack most scores came from the ball being played to their number 11 who took on players and went down easily (to say the least) almost every time leaving Bagnall to put over the free kicks and tuck away the penalty. Not only this we were without Aidan Carr Darren ohagan and a number of other regular starters. On any other occasion I have no doubt in my mind clonduff will outplay this inexperienced Glenn team. Had Jason brown been his usual self regarding free kicks the game would have been much different.

Also the rumours Arthur mc Conville is set for America are indeed just rumours I believe.

A most confusing read - you seem to suggest that Clonduff were unlucky to lose to a team with a good defence, good attack, forwards who were not afraid to take on a defence and a free-taker who missed nothing!
Seems to me as if Glenn were the better team!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

downjim

Quote from: NP 76 on May 29, 2014, 07:57:45 PM
There is definitely massive numbers at underage in burren is there not a bus that goes down the Warrenpoint road in Newry to lift lads for training each week
It's a helicopter :o

BarryBreensBandage

Glenn 2-9 Loughinisland 1-9

What a display from Glenn tonight! Four points down in the first half, and having lost their keeper John O'Hare, they started to turn on the style. They simply overpowered Loughinisland, keeping their calm and picking off scores that their opponents could not. The tackling was first class, the commitment 100%. The ship was steadied by Ruairi McGuigan and Kevin Rice in defence. Aaron Kennedy's tackling and resolute defence was outstanding; he did not let one man past him all night. My MOTM, James Friel, started the comeback from Centre Back. Matty Bagnall and Denis Murtagh do what they always do and played football of the highest quality. And you will be hard pushed to see a better goal this season than Liam Bagnall's, who was also excellent throughout. The two Millars, Shay and Ronan were pure class as usual.
I feel bad leaving the rest of the players out.....
Feck it - Tiernan O'Brien who went from rhf to nets found his man constantly with kickouts; delighted to see Conor Shields playing so well; a real prospect. Conor Cranney was probably the only player on the field who did not make a mistake all night, and scored a very important point. Stevie Fearon got a handle on Gordon to stop L'islands comeback, Raymie Quinn was involved in all positive play that Glenn played tonight. The strength that Curtis O'Hare shows for an 18 yr old is unbelieveable.
Congratulations to the team and management (John Kennedy, Tony Bagnall and Rambo!)

I have to mention what a quality player Dan Gordon is. An exhibition of fielding, all round play and physical power.

The reason I mention the Glenn guys? Because they deserve it. The whole place is bursting with pride with their performances.

downjim

Glenn for the championship. In other news the Bridge were put back in their perch by the magpies tonight.
Better performance from us though. We are away from relegation now :)

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: downjim on May 31, 2014, 12:54:53 AM
Glenn for the championship. In other news the Bridge were put back in their perch by the magpies tonight.
Better performance from us though. We are away from relegation now :)

What was the result in your match downjim?

whitegoodman

Fair play to Glenn, surprising a few people including myself. Another couple of wins and that will probably be them safe.

Burren beat the stone by 4 and mixed the brilliant with the brutal.

Predictor

Was at Dundrum Vs Ballykinlar Match last nite
I have to say well done to ballykinlar they kept playing for the full game which was good to see
Hopefully Ballykinlar keep improving

elk

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 29, 2014, 02:59:54 PM
No fan of Burren, but what blow-ins have they lost that they were relying on.
good to see the B team CPN look like winning div 2

GreenGiant

Glenn have surprised a lot of people this year..breath of fresh air! All the haters can hate all they want

SHEEDY

Quote from: GreenGiant on June 01, 2014, 08:39:38 PM
Glenn have surprised a lot of people this year..breath of fresh air! All the haters can hate all they want
strange 1st post. haven't seen or heard any hate towards glenn.  ???
nil satis nisi optimum