Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Was also at Loughinisland game as an Island supporter, and the referee clearly indicated that the last free had to be scored direct as time was up.

ardtole

I see Bryansford are 7/1 with paddy power to win the Down SFC, surely they must be worth a gamble at that price. I dont see much senior football but with Dawsons track record and the quality of player available 7/1 looks tasty.

johnneycool

Quote from: ardtole on April 29, 2014, 09:54:06 AM
I see Bryansford are 7/1 with paddy power to win the Down SFC, surely they must be worth a gamble at that price. I dont see much senior football but with Dawsons track record and the quality of player available 7/1 looks tasty.

I hear Scooby doo is trying to poach a former county player from a club not too far up the road from Newcastle, any truth in this?

thebar

Quote from: johnneycool on April 29, 2014, 09:58:30 AM

I hear Scooby doo is trying to poach a former county player from a club not too far up the road from Newcastle, any truth in this?

St Johns?

ardtole

thebar

ardtole

If it is McCommiskey I dont think it would be the first time they approached him, I think St Galls were also linked with him at one stage as well. He has been very loyal to Dundrum to date though.

whitegoodman

Good call and worth a punt at them odds.  It between them and Kilcoo IMO.  Difficult to understand why Dawson failed so badly at Antrim.  From what I have seen he is a great coach, a good man manager (despite what has been said about the dispute with the couple of boys in Antrim) and decent tactically.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that when James decides to call it a day and it should be his decision, then the first port of call would be to see if McCrory and Dawson would double up together.  Seem to complement each others strengths well IMO but its whether two big personalities could work together.

downjim

From what I seen so far Kilcoo and The Ford will be the dominant force this year. Has any new faces been called up?

supersub

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 29, 2014, 08:52:42 PM

Good call and worth a punt at them odds.  It between them and Kilcoo IMO. Difficult to understand why Dawson failed so badly at Antrim.  From what I have seen he is a great coach, a good man manager (despite what has been said about the dispute with the couple of boys in Antrim) and decent tactically.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that when James decides to call it a day and it should be his decision, then the first port of call would be to see if McCrory and Dawson would double up together.  Seem to complement each others strengths well IMO but its whether two big personalities could work together.

Because that Antrim team is pretty poor by County standards and he got rid of 2/3 of their best players - that may have something to do with it. It was widely known round Antrim he was disliked and didn't have the support of many inside or outside the panel.

whitegoodman

Antrim have the players to be a mid division 3 team and have as good as players as Fermanagh.  If he wasn't liked then fair enough but it wouldn't be consistent with what lads from the stone, Burren or Bryansford would say.

Maybe his St Galls history may not go down well in some parts.

downjim

Dawson got Clonduff a championship and also was unlucky with the stone in 2007.He knows his stuff in Down club football. I would rather see him in charge of Down than Jim McNegavity but you have to admit he gets results.

umpire

Good luck to 4  Down players playing for New York on Sunday against Mayo in Senior Football Championship at Gaelic Park New York.  Gavin Joyce, Ballymartin in goal. Gerard McCartan, Burren at Full Back, Paddy Boyle of Castlewellan at Right Half Forward and Mayobridge's Keith Quinn at Full Forward

southdown

Dawson was well liked in Longstone, great coach and knew his stuff.  Took us as close as we ever have to winning the Championship.

I think opposing teams love bashing him.

our_fella

Anyone else think its a bit of a joke the way the Down reserve league run??

Was at the Ford v Rostrevor game tonight, and got talking to a few locals. Was told that Rostrevor started 7-9 players that started their Senior league match v Island last week. whereas Ford only had a small few..

Surely we would look into the way its done in Derry, Armagh + i think also in Tyrone.. Start your previous senior match, you cant play next reserve match.. Not fair on lads slogging away, and sitting on bench for both teams!