Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Thought that was maybe the case, o hagan was close to my man of the match and was surprised to hear his man scored 5.

I take that McCarron was the lad Boyle struggled with in the second half??

Mid Down Gael

Yeah that's him. Boyle marked him for majority of game.

Mourne Rover

There was a fair amount of switching going on at the back, but apologies to O'Hagan if he was not the main marker on McCarron. We don't look in great shape defensively, although the changes which WGM suggests for Armagh are the logical ones. Another option is for either McKernan or Mallon to be named in the half back line, but finding someone to close down Clarke will be fun. However, Armagh are also going through an uncertain time and our guys should not be lacking in motivation. Hopefully we can give big Kallum something to celebrate at his wedding reception.

Buffer

White goodman you must have been an unbelievable footballer in your hayday. Can't believe you went through that hole down team and ridiculed them all. You must have never hada bad day.just 1 example. I have played against Ohanlon and for a twenty year old he is far from light.another example is ohagan.execellent defender. Go easy on the lads

Brick Tamlin

He didn't ridicule them all. He merely gave his own personal critique of how HE saw it.
Not that im defending the cnut or anything.

Harrison
One standout save but performance marred by jitters on the ball. Hate to see goalkeeper carry the ball out. Also kickout strategy and communication failed badly on sunday. Not his fault alone but he shares blame with his outfield players on that one. That was one area that concerned me.
McCartan
Dan give his all as usual and did very well in patches. Supported his attack very well on occasion but got little support when he delved into nosebleed territory. Will always have is detractors but its tiresome at this stage.
Turley
Nullified the threat somewhat of Finlay although you sense he could cross the line easily and 'black' card rule could be something he struggles with. His game centres on physicality and when we are lacking in midfield its pity he has to be moved to shore it up.
O Hagan
Regardless of what his man did, I thought he played excellently from start to finish. Appears to have the perfect attitude. Aggressive and brave and hungry for the entire 70mins from what I could see. Seems to know his role and play it to best he can.
Boyle
Usual mixture, very competent on the front foot, not so on the back. Not a corner back by any stretch. Again seems to have the right attitude and keeps going for entire game.
Carr
Aidan had another good game at 6. Calming influence when in possession and also shows strongly. Not a typical defender but he definitely hold his own.
Garvey
Definitely looked rusty and off the pace. A few handling errors, a few misplaced passes and clearly frustrated at times. Still one of our best defenders and will have better days. Again the new rules may hamper his natural game. Hopefully he will relish Armagh Friday night.
McArdle
Unfortunately for Gary it wasn't his best game. The kickout fiasco in 1st half meant he was getting no joy in midfield.
Mallon
Power, pace and penetration means he will always shine at stages of any game. Needs to hold down a starting position, make it his own and bring a level of consistency to his game. Unfortunate he wont be about for the summer, always a decent option to have.
O Hanlon
Yes he is light and yes he is green but he is also vastly experienced and capable and has seen a lot of big games at his age. May be a tad harsh but I think his turnover count has to decrease and again he has to start working on decision making. Yet to find his best position on the team.
Poland
Walshe was given a task and to be fair he came out on top I this battle. Hopefully Armagh see a more determined Poland on Friday night.
Johnston
Kicked few great scores from play on a day when we needed it. He provides an outlet all the time and works very hard.
O Hare
O'Hare wasn't at the races on sunday. On a day when we needed our forwards to do damage his return was limited.
Madine
No surprise factor this year with Madine. If he is to be the target man on the egde of the square then we need to play a system that exploits his strengths. One of many forwards on the day who struggled.
Maginn
Done rightly when came on although 2 bad turnovers spring to mind. Looked heavy legged but in fairness took his opportunistic goal very well.
R Johnston
The younger Johnston done quite well. Used his pace and athleticism to good effect. Didnt try any spectacular stuff and mucked in when it mattered. A good addition and will definitely improve.

General comment I thought we were terrible in the first half. We looked like a bunch of fellas thrown together without any sense of gameplan.
You would expect a decent performance this Friday night but I cant remember last time we bate the hoors, especially when it mattered.

washed_up

Nice to get the win tonight against Armagh ,both teams stuck at it in terrible conditions and must be commended and some good calls from the Down management but i think the ref Coldrick was a bit quick on the whistle when Down were attempting to tackle and not always so when Armagh were doing the same-but again well done to all the players on a bad night.

cavanman

Down were getting it very hard to get frees from Coldrick, watched that way on the TV

washed_up

i see that Tyconnaught are quoted at 33/1 to win the Down senior football c'ship in 2014 on the Paddy Power website!!

The Raven

Quote from: washed_up on February 08, 2014, 09:02:32 PM
i see that Tyconnaught are quoted at 33/1 to win the Down senior football c'ship in 2014 on the Paddy Power website!!
Fair play to them considering they are in the intermediate this year

Dubh driocht

If anyone has Virgin media they are showing the Down Armagh game at 5pm on channel 551 ( and the Tyrone Mayo game live)

Mourne Rover

Our draw against Monaghan is looking like a decent result after they hiding they gave Meath today. Donegal are obviously strong as well but we should be capable picking up a few points against some of the other teams along the way. The next game against Louth is a local derby, and they have given us problems in the past, but a win would leave us well placed.

We have shown plenty of commitment in our first two matches without actually playing particularly well, and we could easily have zero rather than three points on the board, but we have probably been due a little luck.

Aristo 60

Downgaa.net website is a disgrace.

We are now in Tuesday - 4 days and 29 years since beating Armagh in the Athletic Grounds in the NFL - and not a mention.

Is there no-one out there who would take it upon themselves to sort the whole site out.

Don't look at me - I don't have the skills!  ;D

The Raven

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 11, 2014, 02:47:43 PM
Downgaa.net website is a disgrace.

We are now in Tuesday - 4 days and 29 years since beating Armagh in the Athletic Grounds in the NFL - and not a mention.

Is there no-one out there who would take it upon themselves to sort the whole site out.

Don't look at me - I don't have the skills!  ;D
I asked a similar question 3 weeks ago It would appear the county board men who we all know read this forum have chosen to ignore our queries

5 Sams

I see the stewards in the Marshes got an awful hammering from Kenny Archer in today's Irish News.
The Aristocrat Years

Ed Hardy

Anybody know the start date for the leagues?