Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaisyCutter

Final Score in the Premier Reserve Game:
Castlewellan 2-10, Burren 1-12.

wildrover

Great win for Castlewellan in PRC Final last night against Burren. Was important to make sure we weren't beaten in two big games in the same week by the same club. Well done to all involved.

Think we will go well in Kilmacud 7's today too to round off a good weekend.

supersub

Another good win for Rostrevor yesterday in the league, again much needed to get clear of the relegation spots, however with liatroim also winning nothing is guaranteed. Two second half goals were the difference after conceding 3 slack ones ourselves in the first half to go in 3 down. 2-18 3-11 was the final score, an entertaining game all round. Leaves us wondering why we left it so late in the season to find some form.

downjim

Quote from: supersub on September 20, 2013, 11:39:56 AM
Or will the super reds pick up another minor title their first since 2007....
And then let them rot in your thirds

Gaa for life

Great win for our reserves on Friday night against a much fancied Burren. Great effort from a very young team with only 4 lads over 22years of age. Hopefully we can build on this and push some of these young guys on with our seniors.

supersub

Quote from: downjim on September 22, 2013, 01:09:55 PM
Quote from: supersub on September 20, 2013, 11:39:56 AM
Or will the super reds pick up another minor title their first since 2007....
And then let them rot in your thirds

Good man, any examples of this?

I would be more than happy if they were playing for the thirds because the reality is most who aren't playing senior football have given up altogether.

Down Follower

Good wins at the weekend for Liatrom and Rostrevor.  The playoff spot is now likely between Loughinisland and Rostrevor although Clonduff, Longstone, Downpatrick and Liatrom are all still possibilites following the winning runs of Liatrom and Rostrevor.

The last round of games will need calculators and maths graduates at the ready to work out who goes where and it is hard to say who is the favourites to take the play off spot.

Who is doing the business for Liatrom and Rostrevor as they have both gone on great runs, is Doyle playing well for Liatrom?

supersub

It's going down to the last games for sure, but with Liatroim and Downpatrick playing each other, one of them is going to drop points so if Rostrevor were to beat Warrenpoint they would definitely finish above at least one of those two. Loughinisland play Burren which is a tough ask although home advantage is always a big plus for them down there. Will be interesting to see the outcomes.

As for the winning runs, speaking for ourselves it has been a real team/squad effort for the last four games, a long time since we won four in a row. All of the forwards have been chipping in with scores which is something that had been lacking earlier in the season. Against Downpatrick all 6 forwards scored, and 5 of 6 scored against Bryansford. Eamon McConville has been flying home from England for the games which adds a bit of strength and experience to the defensive side, with young Chrissy Magee back from America as well for the last two games. Young Conor Doyle, a Down Minor this year has come in and been in great form over the last few games as well, he scored 0-6 on Saturday and a few against Downpatrick as well. Brian Cole has come back from injury over the last couple of months and has scored vital goals in all three league games (C'wellen, D'ptrick, Ford). The squad have stuck by each other despite having a terrible run over the summer where we didn't win a game from May, a ten game plus period which was very hard on the lads as except for two games they weren't outclassed, just couldn't see out the games unfortunately.

DaisyCutter

Does anyone know the reason why Destination Newry has not been showing any coverage
of the Down Championship games this year?

I see that the Armagh County Board have been streaming quite a few games of their Championship games over the past couple of weeks at a very generous service of £1 per game.

Down Follower

Quote from: DaisyCutter on September 24, 2013, 01:19:39 PM
Does anyone know the reason why Destination Newry has not been showing any coverage
of the Down Championship games this year?

I see that the Armagh County Board have been streaming quite a few games of their Championship games over the past couple of weeks at a very generous service of £1 per game.

Was wondering that myself.  Their website is very awkward to navigate now and certainly i couldnt find any recent coverage of games.

umpire

the SFC and IFC semi final's games tonight  is put back to Monday night

DaisyCutter

I see that the new Tyrone GAA Centre Of Excellence (At Garvaghy) is near completion, as it made the sports bulletin of the BBCNI news yesterday evening.
Fair play to them and the best of luck with it, as it looks like an unreal facility that will be used by all codes, age levels and genders of Tyrone GAA.
As a Down Supporter though, I can only envy of the facilities they now have.

snoopdog

Quote from: DaisyCutter on September 27, 2013, 11:19:32 AM
I see that the new Tyrone GAA Centre Of Excellence (At Garvaghy) is near completion, as it made the sports bulletin of the BBCNI news yesterday evening.
Fair play to them and the best of luck with it, as it looks like an unreal facility that will be used by all codes, age levels and genders of Tyrone GAA.
As a Down Supporter though, I can only envy of the facilities they now have.

St colmans have excellant facilities yet Down opt for the Abbey(which i cant vouch for and not sure if it is as good as violet Hill).
I also have some doubts about these centres of excellance, you can take a lot of natural ability away from young lads of 15,16,17 years of age if like Tyrone you are training them to play a particular system ala their minors this year.

DaisyCutter

The Abbie's facilities are first class.

Although they would not have the physio rooms, ice baths/pools, all weather pitches, analysis halls, recovery suites and changing facilities that Garvaghy have.
Great vision by the O'Neill County to pull it off along with the great facilities at the mid ulster arena in Cookstown that they also have at their disposal.

T O Hare

Not nice reading in the Irish news today. Pete McGrath deserves better. Is this the "Down" way???
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"