Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

Sledging part of the game. Wise up Will you! Are you saying managers send their teams out to insult opposition players. Play the game hard and fair.. Down teams should not resort to Tyrone tactics.

upandwin

I'll be the first man to admit that I don't normally agree with Downjim's posts, but he is 100% right here. Conor Laverty was a disgrace given what he said to the Downpatrick man. I heard every word of it given that I was right beside the play. Horrible slur which I won't repeat. No place in our (or any) game. Anypne that defends his words are a joke

DaisyCutter

Where in my last post did I say that Managers are sending their players out to do this downjim????
I am with you and upandwin on the matter here, where i believe it has no part in our game, but it does happen and its unfortunate that it does go on.
Its very difficult for Management teams to fully control their players once they step over the white line.
Players have to take responsibility of their own actions once the ball is thrown in.
Its a scourge in our modern game, which all teams are at it.

downjim

You said "all teams are at it", I have not heard any reports of burren doing it. I watched a thirds game recently between us and the bridge. it was a local derby with lots of hard hitting but I never heard reports of any sledging. Both teams shook hand and walked off. I can look my man in the eye after a tough hard game but name calling and snide low remarks have no part in our games .That club got into trouble last year for this and it looks like it is still going on.

DaisyCutter

Ok downjim, Burren never do it.

wehatepauly2

I played football for many years and mouthing always happened,I received it and also dished it out,all part and parcel of the game I'm afraid but downjim for you to say it has never happened before is ridiculous,doubt you only hear what you want to.you seem to be geting on kilcoos case a lot ,but I hear it all the time,we're you not at the game last night???

thewobbler

As Burren knock in their 5th goal of the evening, a thought goes through my head. Why in hell did we add another 16 games to our Senior Championship? Who gains from this move? Who?

wehatepauly2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 19, 2013, 09:33:59 PM
As Burren knock in their 5th goal of the evening, a thought goes through my head. Why in hell did we add another 16 games to our Senior Championship? Who gains from this move? Who?

The county board of course  £££

thewobbler

Quote from: wehatepauly2 on August 19, 2013, 09:50:51 PM

The county board didn't create this change. The clubs motioned it and the clubs voted for it. This is 100% on the clubs. Clubs that can only be full of people who'd rather their senior team - as well as not winning anything - get humiliated more than once, instead of the normal once.

I'm starting to believe that the tinkermen who feel a constant need for change and are now everywhere across Ireland, will eventually kill off the GAA.

whitegoodman

rodney trotter

Quote from: thewobbler on August 19, 2013, 09:56:34 PM
Quote from: wehatepauly2 on August 19, 2013, 09:50:51 PM

The county board didn't create this change. The clubs motioned it and the clubs voted for it. This is 100% on the clubs. Clubs that can only be full of people who'd rather their senior team - as well as not winning anything - get humiliated more than once, instead of the normal once.

I'm starting to believe that the tinkermen who feel a constant need for change and are now everywhere across Ireland, will eventually kill off the GAA.

Sounds like the make it up as they go along stuff that has happened this year in Cavan. Although that was both clubs and County board involved,

wildrover

Perhaps it was designed to guarantee all club players more than one big game in the calendar year. These men train their asses off from the beginning of January to play in big championship games. The entire league campaign is a warm-up and a mere side-show. The more big games (big crowds, good pitches, proper officials, national anthems) the players get the better.

The one-sided scores that have been posted so far in this year's championship matches are more of an indictment on the clubs that have shipped the scores rather than the new championship format.

As with the race for Sam Maguire, the race for Frank O Hare will have a few mismatches at the start. But the best teams will progress and all games from the quarter finals on should be competitive. Ultimately the best team will win.

whitegoodman

Quote from: wildrover on August 19, 2013, 10:22:55 PM
Perhaps it was designed to guarantee all club players more than one big game in the calendar year. These men train their asses off from the beginning of January to play in big championship games. The entire league campaign is a warm-up and a mere side-show. The more big games (big crowds, good pitches, proper officials, national anthems) the players get the better.

The one-sided scores that have been posted so far in this year's championship matches are more of an indictment on the clubs that have shipped the scores rather than the new championship format.

As with the race for Sam Maguire, the race for Frank O Hare will have a few mismatches at the start. But the best teams will progress and all games from the quarter finals on should be competitive. Ultimately the best team will win.

I don't see how lads from the kingdom or loughanisland will get better by going through the humiliating they have received over the last couple of days. If anything it will set them back!!!!

thewobbler

I'd argue that until you're a team capable of winning a Championship, then Championship games really aren't that much bigger or more important than league games. It's a stay of execution.

At least in the old format, the luck of the draw meant the big guns could take each other out and give you a chance of glory if everything fell your way.

In this format, with seedings and the ability for the best teams to have an off day and recover, it means most teams have less than no chance of reaching a final, let alone winning it. It's just making up the numbers. And before too long, players and spectators will vote with their feet.

wildrover

Quote from: whitegoodman on August 19, 2013, 10:28:37 PM

I don't see how lads from the kingdom or loughanisland will get better by going through the humiliating they have received over the last couple of days. If anything it will set them back!!!!

They have had a graphic illustration of where they need to be in order to be successful. It is now up to them to decide if they want to work hard enough to close the gap. The competition shouldn't be formatted to hide some club's inadequacies. It should be about showcasing excellence (So far Burren). Players and clubs who put the work in deserve optimum opportunity to showcase it. This years championship caters for that.

Incidentally the Longstone v Downpatrick game was excellent quality and ultra-competitive. The Warrenpoint v Saval game was also hard-hitting and finished in a draw. The competition hasn't exactly been a dead rubber so far. The attendances have also been very good at this stage and promise to get even better for the final round of group games with so much at stake.