Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Have to agree Rodders. The ref was the only one in Mayobridge who didn't see what King was up to all night.

All I can say about last night is that I am gutted for our lads because I know 1st hand the amount of effort and commitment this bunch of lads, management included, have put into this year's campaign. 3 lads came home from Australia, leaving good jobs behind, to give our campaign a boost. One lad even left the wife out there to come home and play for the Harps this year.

I hope they get some sort of reward in the league with a top 3 finish.
The Aristocrat Years

umpire

This year Championship round robin in SFC, IFC and Mfc, does the top team of the each group are seeded for Quarter final draw? or 2 top teams are put in an open draw,

If is the open draw for the quarter final, then there no point in playing the final round of Senior group one as we already know the top 2 teams in Saval and Mayobridge. 

Minus15

Group winners are drawn against the runners up but two teams from the one group can't meet in the Quarter Finals.

Clann na Banna v Bredagh and Darragh Cross v Saul both down for Newcastle today at 4pm and 5.30pm respectively.

I have heard that the first game is now on in St John's. Has the second game been changed also?

Just checked Tuesday's Irish News and both games are in St John's

ApresMatch

Minus 15, both games in St Johns.

Results from last night in IFC

Tullylish 1-14 - 0-10 Bosco
Carryduff 1-08 - 0-9 St Johns

meatsy86

Group A far from over umpire if mayo bridge beat saval and point beat rostrevor it goes to scorin difference besides group winners are seeded for quarters so battle for to top the group also.

umpire

Quote from: meatsy86 on August 17, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
Group A far from over umpire if mayo bridge beat saval and point beat rostrevor it goes to scorin difference besides group winners are seeded for quarters so battle for to top the group also.
That's correct meatsy86
Just thought that Saval have beaten the Point but only drew, my slip of mind.

whitegoodman

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 16, 2013, 06:32:17 PM
Have to agree Rodders. The ref was the only one in Mayobridge who didn't see what King was up to all night.

All I can say about last night is that I am gutted for our lads because I know 1st hand the amount of effort and commitment this bunch of lads, management included, have put into this year's campaign. 3 lads came home from Australia, leaving good jobs behind, to give our campaign a boost. One lad even left the wife out there to come home and play for the Harps this year.

I hope they get some sort of reward in the league with a top 3 finish.

Don't want to sound condescending but did u really expect Ballyholland to come out of a group with 2 of the championship favourites in it ???

Do u also realistically expect to be in the top 3 at the end of the year......

Downer

Championship review

Kilcoo v Loughinisland

The blues are coming into this with some confidence following there win against longstone. It could be said that the stone pressed the self destruct button last time out with two men off after 25 minutes,when in fact they were starting to dominate this game.

Loughinisland will be boosted by good scoring statistics recently however there porous defence will in my opinion concede at least two goals tomorrow. The blues need to find an agressive full back soon or there campaign ends tomorrow.

Kilcoos grit and will to win will see them home with a bit to spare and  almost gurantee them a quarter final berth!

Line Ball

Quote from: Downer on August 17, 2013, 09:13:34 PM
Championship review

Kilcoo v Loughinisland

The blues are coming into this with some confidence following there win against longstone. It could be said that the stone pressed the self destruct button last time out with two men off after 25 minutes,when in fact they were starting to dominate this game.

Loughinisland will be boosted by good scoring statistics recently however there porous defence will in my opinion concede at least two goals tomorrow. The blues need to find an agressive full back soon or there campaign ends tomorrow.

Kilcoos grit and will to win will see them home with a bit to spare and  almost gurantee them a quarter final berth!

I hear a certain county player from Kilcoo let himself down a bagful with his mouthy antics to his marker against Downpatrick last week.  There really is no place for crap like this particularly when it gets very personal like is reported to have happened.

downjim

I heard the same in the point last night. Very disappointing to hear a county player at that. Apparently the sledging throughout the game was horrific. Does McCorry know his players are at this???

Minus15

Was at the Intermediate double header in St John's yesterday.

The first game was a game of 2 halfs with Bredagh racing into a 5-0 lead and remaining a well derserved 5 points up on a 1-6 to 0-4 scoreline at half time, their goal coming from roaming wing-forward Niall Mulholland. Donal Hughes was also prominent in a strong first half showing. Clann na Banna made a couple of changes early in the second half which made a difference around the middle of the field and their experienced players, Michael Fairburn in particular, coped with anything Bredagh had to throw at them and the lively Stephen McArdle in the full forward line troubled the Bredagh rearguard when he was supplied with early ball.
The Banbridge men finished the stronger and looked like sealing the win only for a late Bredagh point to equalise to give them their second draw in as many games. Clann na Banna were visibly disappointed at the final whistle, but can take heart from the fact that they came back so well in the second half and remain in pole position to finish top of Group B.

The second game, played at a higher pace, was keenly contested between Darragh Cross and Saul. Darragh raced into a three points to no score lead in the opening minutes. Marcus Miskelly, with 14 on his back, but playing in a withdrawn role was having a huge influence on the game, constantly being fed posession deep in his own defence and using it very wisely. Up front, the pace of the Darragh attack was causing Saul problems, whilst Saul were unable to hold onto posession that they did get themselves, with the final pass letting them down time after time. However, Saul held on and after a number of Darragh Cross wides, they pulled them back into the match. Their free taker was very reliable and they went in at half time just 1 point down, surely believing that they could only improve on their first half showing.

The second half was hugely entertaining and Saul, with Adam King and Nathan Keenan showing well and their full back line coping better with the Darragh Cross forwards, they looked the hungrier team, knowing that nothing less than a win would do.
Saul finished extremely strongly and two late goals ensured that they took the 2 ponts on a 2-8 to 0-6 scorline, holding Darragh to a solitary second half point.

That leaves this group all square with 4 teams on 2 points apiece, leaving a couple of tasty games to come.

wehatepauly2

Was down in Downpatrick today and must say kilcoo were frightening,great display from them all,loughinisland couldn't get to grips with them at all,I predict kilcoo and Downpatrick to progress

Line Ball

Quote from: downjim on August 18, 2013, 02:56:23 PM
I heard the same in the point last night. Very disappointing to hear a county player at that. Apparently the sledging throughout the game was horrific. Does McCourt know his players are at this???

Who are you on about Jim?  Didn't know Malachy was involved with Kilcoo ;)

wehatepauly2

Quote from: Line Ball on August 18, 2013, 06:02:44 PM
Quote from: downjim on August 18, 2013, 02:56:23 PM
I heard the same in the point last night. Very disappointing to hear a county player at that. Apparently the sledging throughout the game was horrific. Does McCourt know his players are at this???

Who are you on about Jim?  Didn't know Malachy was involved with Kilcoo ;)

Yeah I don't think he knows what he is talking about

DaisyCutter

Get with times downjim, sledging is constant part of our modern game and every team is at it. I think it was poor of you to single them out in your previous post to say the least as there all at it, that's unless you don't get to too many games in recent times?
On this weekends games, entertaining enough game in Castlewellan tonight with Downpatrick missing the boat, especially with the stone playing almost 40 mins with a man less.
Town got through a tough encounter with the fontenoys, whilst clonduff built up good momentum against against Annaclone.