Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

men in black

Is the anywhere that are commentating on the
minor Game?

Gabriel

Well modern football really arrived with a bang for Down there yesterday. I know it's not pretty but it sure beats being embarrassed like we were in the same fixture last year. I thought some of the defending was excellent, particularly from Peter Turley, although a bit like Donegal in 2011 the negative style makes it very hard to find scores with so many players back. At least there was no direct running through the defence as was the case in the Donegal & Mayo games last year, which must be seen as a massive improvement. Donegal are a couple of years down the road working in that kind of system and their ability to score from half-chances was probably the difference (along with wastefulness and poor shot/pass selection by Down).

It'll be interesting to see whether James continues to use the ultra-defensive template in the qualifiers or whether it was a specific tactic for dealing with Donegal. It will not make for good viewing, and purists in the county will be horrified, but it could make us hard to beat.

Aristo 60

whereabouts is the pitch in ardglass does anyone know. It's been an age since I was there.

thanks

PAULD123

If we continue this style of play then against weaker teams we will score plenty because they will not hold their shape as well as Donegal and there will be a continual flow of breakaways against them. As each point is scored they will become more frustrated, commit more men forward, be turned over again and the breakaway will have even more space to attack, making it easier and easier to score.

What I have described above is what happened to us in last year's Ulster Final. We were the naive team. What a pity we don't have Marty Clarke playing for us with this new level of fitness and commitment. He would be the final piece that would unlock any defence.

Does anyone know anything about the fitness of Danny Hughes or Aiden Carr?

snoopdog

they have to keep the defensive system going until they get the scoring right. I'd say its hard to turn that intensity on or off when you want. but with black card coming next year where do you go then. I don't like it but if it makes us competitive and in the mix for big prizes then so be it. I've never seen Down so fit well done wee James you and your back room  team are doing something right.

Gabriel

Yeah, full credit where it's due to McCartan. I was very critical last year, particularly after the Donegal and Mayo games, but he got it tactically spot on yesterday. Massive improvement from 2012. You're right about fitness too, it was noticeable that Down were able to do what Tyrone didn't and stick with Donegal right up until the last whistle.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 24, 2013, 02:12:06 PM
whereabouts is the pitch in ardglass does anyone know. It's been an age since I was there.

thanks

Thanks Ardtole

wildrover

Castlewellan 2.14 0.09 Bryansford

Castlewellan continued their run of good form last night in great conditions in St Malachy's Park. A fast-paced, hard-hitting and entertaining game that was in the balance until Cahal Crilly netted midway through the second half. That score came when there were 5 pts in it in favour of the Town, but when Bford were very much dominating and it looked possible that they were going to stage a comeback. Mickey Cunningham made three great point-blank saves while Ruairi Mccardle marshalled Danny Savage well. Another good team effort from the boys with Barry Travers also deserving of a mention. For Bryansford Conor Maginn and Stevie Toner showed best.

amallon

5Sams - Doubt there will be much milking done in the morning around Ballyholland!  ;)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Rodders88

Very disappointed in the Bridge last night....its sad to see how much they have fallen. Sexton is such a big miss to this team, does anyone know why he isn't involved any more? Only man to stand out for the Bridge was Kevin O'Rourke, thought he had an excellent game. Caught a lot of ball around the middle and some of his passing was top drawer.  Their full back line was very poor, but in saying that they were very exposed and offered little or no protection from further out the field. The Bridge looked clueless and didn't seem to have any sort of game plan.

Ronan Murtugh was excellent for the Harps, think he set up the three goals and he hit a great point in the 2nd half way out on the left hand side line. MOM of the match in my opinion and seemed to be carrying a knock as his right leg was heavily strapped.

We can know safely say that the Bridge have dropped out from being one of the top 3 teams in the county and their place has been taken by Castlewellan who have been excellent this year.  I know Coulter and Quinn have to come back into this team but think they will struggle come the Championship time and their aura has gone and teams won't fear playing them.

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on July 04, 2013, 09:15:09 PM
5Sams - Doubt there will be much milking done in the morning around Ballyholland!  ;)

Missed the gameAidan. Did you film it? I must get a copy.
The Aristocrat Years

Gabriel

Came home from the game absolutely f***ed off, but I don't know if James should go. Still think it's an absolute joke that this draw was allowed, especially at Celtic Park again. Awful second half, beaten by the same kind of defence we played against Donegal, but a few clear fouls by Derry backs (esp. on Poland) went unpunished.There was no way back after McArdle's red card. Still think that with a better draw we could have built and improved through the summer. Hopefully big Dan will be back next year. Really hope Benny doesn't call it quits either, would be a travesty if his county career ended in such farcical circumstances.

Leo

Let's not put a tooth in this.
One point in the second half - and that from a free. One point from play in 70 minutes.
When is the last time the great Benny Coulter raised a green flag for Down?
This is a Down team that has betrayed all that is good about Down football and its reputation for forward play. This has been coming for a couple of years now and it is an abomination, utterly unwatchable and at the same time abysmally failing to get results.
The game should be about putting your best foot forward, play to your strengths - how these "scientists" of the game have dragged us all into utterly negative mediocrity is appalling.
Down football has sold its soul to this science and we are the poorer for it - and still OUT of the championship with barley a whimper.
Meanwhile our much vaunted forwards are toiling in the dark depths of our own "blanket-cum-sweeper" system that is the football equivalent of a snuff movie
Fierce tame altogether

snoopdog

it will be 20 years next year since we won anything and  apart from 2010 we look further away than ever. today was seriously depressing. after Donegal game I was upbeat about a bit of a run to a qf. The draw was a fuckin joke, today basically nullified the win in ulster championship. no disrespect to Derry they were better team. Gaa need to sort this out surely you should get some sort of advantage for winning a champ game. really pissed off tonight. where to now for James and co, a long summer and autumn to contemplate. too early for decisions now. annoyingly we are better than that performance today but we seem to be mentally unprepared in a lot of games we play. rant over

The Raven

Very disappointing result but coming for a long time. We seem to have forgotten or don't have the courage to score or perhaps this ridiculous defencive system we have tried to adopt doesn't allow scoring. Its just a pity we don't have a good big target man up front who win a ball and lay it off to couple fast corner forwards. God how we miss Mickey and Bundy !!

I like Benny knew leaving Croke Park 2010 we wouldn't be back