Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Town Gael

I agree with a lot of what you wrote WGM. There were a lot of positives to be taken from the game but also some glaring negatives, mainly from the management.
Daniel McCartan was roasted, looked very slow and was at fault for the first goal as he was watching his man and had no idea where the ball was until it was too late.
The substitutions were an absolute mystery to me and those around me. O'Hare was on fire, scored 9 points and yet they took him off. Eoin McCartan and Jerome Johnson coming on just proved that the best way to get a game is to be related to the management.
Benny had a great game but we lost an option when he was brought out to midfield so Kalum King who was having a poor enough game could have a go as a targetman full forward. If Benny had to go to midfield then why not put on Arthur McConville as a target full forward?
I thought Conor Laverty was exceptional, he has an incredible engine, guts aplenty and never wastes a ball. With Dan Gordon, Ambrose and Danny Hughes to come in things look promising for a good Championship run but I think we will struggle to get the points to stay up- Hope I am wrong though.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Town Gael on March 04, 2013, 10:39:26 AM
I agree with a lot of what you wrote WGM. There were a lot of positives to be taken from the game but also some glaring negatives, mainly from the management.
Daniel McCartan was roasted, looked very slow and was at fault for the first goal as he was watching his man and had no idea where the ball was until it was too late.
The substitutions were an absolute mystery to me and those around me. O'Hare was on fire, scored 9 points and yet they took him off. Eoin McCartan and Jerome Johnson coming on just proved that the best way to get a game is to be related to the management.
Benny had a great game but we lost an option when he was brought out to midfield so Kalum King who was having a poor enough game could have a go as a targetman full forward. If Benny had to go to midfield then why not put on Arthur McConville as a target full forward?
I thought Conor Laverty was exceptional, he has an incredible engine, guts aplenty and never wastes a ball. With Dan Gordon, Ambrose and Danny Hughes to come in things look promising for a good Championship run but I think we will struggle to get the points to stay up- Hope I am wrong though.
Very well said Town Gael. Couldn't agree more with you especially on the nepotism issue.

whitegoodman

I may be in the minority on here but I thought Dan McCartan had a decent game and has had his best start to a year since the run to the all Ireland final.  He was at fault for a goal but other than that I thought he did ok. Just shows what different eyes see.  In saying that I would prob still have Darren ohagan in ahead of him when fit.  Him and Boyle have the makings of two tenacious quick corner backs, something unheard of in Down.

I would agree that neither eoin or jerome should have come on.  Arthur would have been the man I would have brought on but I guess we are not the ones that see training and challenge matches night after night.  I think we need to trust in what James is doing and after yesterday's performance that's what il be doing.

On Donal ohare he was only taken off because of injury precaution, it was not tactical.

NP 76

I also thought Daniel had a very good I couldn't really see how he was at fault for the goal two men were competing for the ball and the break favoured Cork. All the lads put in a massive effort and must of been devasted at the end because I know I was. The keeper had a poor day but he is young and will hopefully improve because of it. I hope James keeps faith with him as to get dropped could knock his confidence even more. A lot of our attacks start with his accurate kick outs something Mc Veigh can't do. On the substitutions as far as I know Arthur broke his nose at training on Thursday night so he was never going to feature and I saw Donal getting treatment twice and seemed to be having trouble so that was why he was taken off. I for one was glad to see James having the confidence in the 2 younger lads to feel he could throw them in at that level I don't think it was because it is jeromes son young Jerome is a good player as is his brother Ryan. For the last goal I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would mess about going backwards and side ways unless you have extreme confidence in the man you are giving the ball to. All the passes from that free kick were poor and it was obvious one of them had a chance of breaking down but for me the worst bit was that when cork turned over the play the onlyb2 defenders we had were Dan and Mc Ardle against 2 men they were marking and 3 more coming running at them where was the other 5 if we intended to run down the clock defensively. On the other point that people keep making when we get this one and that one back we will be ok I am not to sure we have played 3 though games with another next week over half way through the league and yet none of these injuried lads are back training. How would they be able to get fitness up that quick for championship pace when everyone around you has at least a 3 to 4 month head start on you.

Brick Tamlin

totally unrelated i suppose but looking ahead to this weekends game against Mayo.
can anyone recommend decent spot for few lads on the beer in Belfast to watch the game on Setanta?
where are the likely spots to be showing it?

Lucifer

The Parador on Ormeau Rd is usually a good spot for the GAA, Brick.

downjim

Has Eamon Burns any siblings he can bring into the team this weekend ?? And MDG you are always crying to get more Kilcoo players onto the team. Good players but far too small kiddo

Line Ball

Quote from: downjim on March 07, 2013, 01:09:32 PM
Has Eamon Burns any siblings he can bring into the team this weekend ?? And MDG you are always crying to get more Kilcoo players onto the team. Good players but far too small kiddo

I'm sure he'll be pulling for the Bryansford lads.  Maybe thats how Kallum King is managing to stay in the side as he's not exactly setting the world on fire with his performances.

Anyone know exactly how far away the injured lads are from being back playing again?

Gaa for life

A young Castlewellan side had a good 1-09 to 0-5 win against clonduff in the ACPRL in terrible conditions.

Aristo 60

I think Mayo and Kerry finish on away games and with Down at home on the last day I hope this is the difference between going down and staying up

snoopdog

for us to stay up we are going to need 2 wins from our final 3. Mayo will beat Kildare next week which will put them on 4. If Down get beat by Kerry it will be tough. 4 points prob wont be enough. Not sure how it works either head to head or points for against.

PAULD123

In the past the rule has been that if exactly two teams are tied on the same points then it is head-head, but if there are three or more tied then the decision is on score difference. Looking at the current table we are ahead of Mayo even though our score difference is (-7) but Mayo's is only (-1).

I think Kildare will beat Mayo. If we can beat Kerry away (and this is our best chance I can remember) then I think it will be a straight shoot out between ourselves and Mayo

Leo

What is the story with Club Down?
Obvioulsy they are working away by the size of the cheque - £120,000? -  handed over on Saturday. That is some contribution & was announced at the game - but not a mention of it in the local papers.
Thought it was a very brave Down performance on Saturday and the same in Tralee will do.
Fierce tame altogether

DownFanatic

Anyone any idea what type of of U-21 team we have this year? Any Senior panellists involved? We are up against the winners of Fermanagh/Armagh game next Wednesday.

passedit

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 13, 2013, 05:55:30 PM
Anyone any idea what type of of U-21 team we have this year? Any Senior panellists involved? We are up against the winners of Fermanagh/Armagh game next Wednesday.

Anyone?

Thinking of taking a spin down there tonight has a team even been named?
Don't Panic