Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Ulster council really stood up to racism there i see. Joke.  Parents must be proud, i wouldnt have Brannigan in a Down jersey again after this.  Down should make a stand if Ulster arent man enough to do it. just my oprinion as i wasnt at match but i believe from reports that the crowd knew it was going on so its hard to say it was one persons word against another.

supersub

Quote from: Fíor Gael on January 08, 2013, 10:24:06 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 08, 2013, 09:56:38 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/20943879?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I see the 2 Brannigans have had their bans reduced. Complete joke!! Must be 2 bright boys.  ::)

It's a joke that they ever got suspended in the first place. Anyone who knows Daryl Brannigan will know that he rarely opens his mouth on the field never mind giving anyone abuse. And there is no evidence whatsoever against Aidan except for the word of another player. If county boards or the ulster council are to start giving out suspensions on the word of one player against another it'll never stop, 'he called me names'. Trial by media, jumped all over by the BBC and UTV.

'He called me names'..  Are you serious? Do you think the lad would make up something so serious and detrimental to another individual? Catch yourself on. Much more than name calling here. Cross swept them aside, do you think he would bothered making a deal out of it if there wasn't something in it? Anyone who knows Aaron Cunningham will know that he is a gentleman and would never seek limelight or controversy.

alba2

Are the fixtures for the club leagues released?? Heard someone mentioning them earlier???

Down Follower

Quote from: alba2 on January 08, 2013, 01:41:14 PM
Are the fixtures for the club leagues released?? Heard someone mentioning them earlier???

http://people.gaa.ie/club/down/#

click on link above and go to down - football - fixtures - senior - acfl - 1,2 or 3

Down Follower

Quote from: Down Follower on January 08, 2013, 04:11:45 PM
Quote from: alba2 on January 08, 2013, 01:41:14 PM

http://people.gaa.ie/club/down/#

click on link above and go to down - football - fixtures - senior - acfl - 1,2 or 3

Oh and it can take a minute or two for the site to come up properly so be patient!!

The Raven

Does anyone know where the Down website has gone?. When I click on www.downgaa.net it takes you to the 2010 old website. Any ideas?

urbangael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 07, 2013, 10:24:19 PM
Dan McCartan did not mark Dunne for the entire game but certainly struggled against him for long periods. However, we hardly have enough strength in depth at the back to drop someone of McCartan's experience from the squad at this stage of the season.  While there is no doubt that Kallum King lacks pace, he is still a considerable asset when it comes to winning possession and laying off a simple pass. We should clearly try at least one new midfielder against Armagh, but it is also far too early to be writing off King. Conor Gough is tall with a good pair of hands, but he would need to fill out considerably before he could be regarded as a serious option.

Would Niall Branagan not be a better shout than Dan McCartan?  Keeping Jamie Clarke scoreless in Ulster club final must be worth a try.  I'd safely say any forward in Div one would rather be marked by Dan that have Niall sticking to him like clue for 60 mins!!

Mourne Rover

Niall Branagan is definitely worth a run of games. He is a tight marker with great pace, even if he is on the small side, and we should be looking at all the available options during the league. However, when the championship squad is named, it will be doubtful if we have 12 defenders better than Dan McCartan.

wildrover

He may be a sticky marker at club level but his ball handling is not good enough.  His younger brother Darryl looks a better all-round player.

NP 76

I agree wild rover Daryl is the pick of the 3 brothers can man mark and play ball.He has also bulked up well from his college days.By the look of the lads that were there on Sunday we don't have many options in defence with Costello and Rooney the only defenders on the subs.Costello didn't do himself any harm when he came on but a man at the game told me he is carrying an injury.So really is any of them 2 options better than Dan .A more worrying aspect for me on Sunday was the taking off of A Carr. A great option going forward can break the tackle and deliver good quality ball in BUT he just refuses to work .Once again when we lost possession he jus stood with his hands on his hips.I counted 4/5times James had to shout at him to get back. He was only off the pitch when he started stretching to go back on.  We weren't winning midfield yet we put back on a man who was already on the field when we had 2 big lads in Duggan and Madine on the line as well as Rooney who plays mid field for his club were none of these worth a try. I actually thought Mc Anulty did well at chb he didn't do nothing fancy but when we lost possession he automatically retreated back into the D to protect the defence. This is something we have been lacking of late but he really needs to bulk up.Savage did very good as did Kelly. Would like to see Kelly in the same forward line with Donal O Hare 2 lively forwards. Would also like to see Gough get a run at mid field but he is injuries at the minute also

alba2

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 07, 2013, 10:24:19 PM
Dan McCartan did not mark Dunne for the entire game but certainly struggled against him for long
Would Niall Branagan not be a better shout than Dan McCartan?  Keeping Jamie Clarke scoreless in Ulster club final must be worth a try.  I'd safely say any forward in Div one would rather be marked by Dan that have Niall sticking to him like clue for 60 mins!!

I wish yous would get over the fact that Jamie clark didnt score in the Ulster final.  thats the mentality of down folk.  Jamie clark doesn give one s**t if he scores as long as cross win.  In 5, 10, 20 years time the only thing that is written in the history books of the Ulster club series is that crossmaglen won it in 2012 and that jamie Clarke was part of that team.  Nothing else matters.  jamie will and has sacrificed himself in countless games for club and county for the good of the TEAM - thats what makes him so special.  Niall Brannigan is not good enough nor is aidan for intercounty level football - that lad daryl may in time develop further - but not now.  Until the university competition is over we really wont see the full deck of down panel this year.  that lad Rhino from the point is a good un and may slot into the defence somewhere but is playing uni at minute.  Others in same situation too.  Gerard Mc Cartan is a better footballer than Dan - but he aint on the panel - why tho??

turkey+ham

Well the fixtures are out. Some very strange outcomes in Div2. Only one round of games which is strange to see for the first time. Some teams have more home fixtures than others and it seems after having a quick glance that the south down teams have less long journeys than the east down teams. Anyone else notice this?

supersub

Was always going to be only one round...30 league games would be a long long season!!

turkey+ham

I know there was only one round anyways, but still strange to see for the first time.

Mourne man

anyone know how relegation promotion is going to work this year