Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on May 31, 2012, 10:58:15 PM
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

Don't know about our weakest in years though, over the last 15 years or so we haven't exactly been blessed!
Gimme a ring on Sunday when you get to Enniskillen and we'll get a pint...the last occasion wasn't the most appropriate one for a session.
The Aristocrat Years

Square Ball

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2012, 10:49:20 PM
From Official Down GAA
James names his side to face Fermanagh and has named one debutant from the Clonduff Club Arthur Mc Conville in the full forward position and Darren O' Hagan on his third
appearance in the championship gets the corner back position .

1 Brendan McVeigh
2 Daniel McCartan
3 Brendan McArdle
4 Darren O'Hagan
5 Aiden Branagan
6 Kevin McKernan
7 Conor Garvey
8 Ambrose Rogers
9 Kalum King
10 Daniel Hughes
11 Mark Poland
12 Aidan Carr
13 Conor Laverty
14 Arthur McConville
15 Conor Maginn

Weakest Down Championship team in years.

what about the rest of the squad?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dundrumite

Quote from: Square Ball on June 01, 2012, 07:30:48 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2012, 10:49:20 PM
From Official Down GAA
James names his side to face Fermanagh and has named one debutant from the Clonduff Club Arthur Mc Conville in the full forward position and Darren O' Hagan on his third
appearance in the championship gets the corner back position .

1 Brendan McVeigh
2 Daniel McCartan
3 Brendan McArdle
4 Darren O'Hagan
5 Aiden Branagan
6 Kevin McKernan
7 Conor Garvey
8 Ambrose Rogers
9 Kalum King
10 Daniel Hughes
11 Mark Poland
12 Aidan Carr
13 Conor Laverty
14 Arthur McConville
15 Conor Maginn

Weakest Down Championship team in years.

what about the rest of the squad?

You can start with 15 Square Ball  :) Seriously I think that information will get emailed to the secretaries. Going to be a tough game but think Down's exposure to and being competitive with the elite over the last two years will stick by them. Though championship is exactly what it is, so will be an intriguing game.

Square Ball

Dundrum beat Bredagh by the closest of margins in Cherryvale tonight

dundrumite

SQ you must be kicking yourselves. Firstly, timing wise it couldn't have gone any worse with Costello and the Down hurlers unavailable. Secondly, to have so much possession was bound to be frustrating. Saying that we could have had at least another two goals but you were right in prediciton that is was going to be a tight game.

DownFanatic

Division 4
Bredagh 2-08  Dundrum 2-09

Poor game. Bredagh up against it from the start due to the amount of influential players that they were missing. Dundrum were five up at a stage early in the 2nd half. Bredagh came back well. The Belfast men will also rue the amount of wides they had in the 1st half. Saying that Dundrum could of easily had three or four further goals.

DaisyCutter

Best game of the evening was in Burren between themselves and Kilcoo in the Div 1 ACPRFL. Burren won by 4 points where the scoreline was 3-6 to 2-5 in a very entertaining and physical game. Surely the quality of the top 4 teams in this division would easily cope with Division 2 football from what I've seen of both leagues this year. Great open football from both sides with excellent score taking. Frank Dawson and Jim McCorry managing both sides respectively. Great advert for Down football, where no defensive systems were in place. Pity Div 1 games wernt played like this.

dundrumite

Quote from: DaisyCutter on June 01, 2012, 10:10:25 PM
Best game of the evening was in Burren between themselves and Kilcoo in the Div 1 ACPRFL. Burren won by 4 points where the scoreline was 3-6 to 2-5 in a very entertaining and physical game. Surely the quality of the top 4 teams in this division would easily cope with Division 2 football from what I've seen of both leagues this year. Great open football from both sides with excellent score taking. Frank Dawson and Jim McCorry managing both sides respectively. Great advert for Down football, where no defensive systems were in place. Pity Div 1 games wernt played like this.

The problem with your argument is that on a Friday night the top 20 lads would be with the seniors, so instead of a top 13 ( which in some cases is inaccurate) you have a top 20, very different story and for that reason I don't think your right on this.

Line Ball

O'Neills ACFL Div 3

01.06.12 (Fri)

Glenn 0-12 V 0-13 Tullylish

Ballymartin 1-11 V 0-13 St John Bosco

St John's 1-10 V 2-12 Saul

Atticall 0-6 V 2-12 Glasdrumman

O'Neills ACFL Div 4

01.06.12 (Fri)

Teconnaught 1-10 V 0-8 Dromara

Bredagh 2-8 V 2-9 Dundrum

Ballykinlar 3-9 V 1-11 St Paul's

No1

Gimme a ring on Sunday when you get to Enniskillen and we'll get a pint...the last occasion wasn't the most appropriate one for a session.
[/quote]

Will do, you must have escaped the driving duties for a change! Fingers crossed we get a better result than the last time I saw you down there.

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on June 01, 2012, 11:23:40 PM

Will do, you must have escaped the driving duties for a change! Fingers crossed we get a better result than the last time I saw you down there.
[/quote]

Hope so...think the chairman's drivin...let me know where yiz are.
The Aristocrat Years

Square Ball

its difficult to say what happened , but yeah Dundrum hit the bar/post more then we did, we had 5 wides in a row at the start of the second half, yous had one shot and scored, a lot more clinical with your shooting. a great score from the sideline with a few minutes to go seemed to be the decider.

The Real Gael

Quote from: DaisyCutter on June 01, 2012, 10:10:25 PM

9 scores to 7....... Yeah what a game  ::)

DaisyCutter

Very fair point dundrumite. But I was just saying that this league does not get the exposure it deserved at times (possibly due to a no advertisement by the County Board or on write ups in the local press) as it is often very competitive league when I see games in it. They are often on a Midday Sunday but as there were no games in Div 1 & 2 last night, I decided to attend this one and it was a very good game, without even having to pay in aswell. As for the Real Gael, I'm glad to know that you can count.

Line Ball

Interesting discussion here on Dundrum and not a mention of Paul Mc Cumiskey once.  I hear he is doing rightly for Dundrum at the minute but isn't setting the world alight.  To be honest, I can't see him getting back on the county squad and he was really only a bit player like Rony Murtagh for Down.  Both were all buff and blow with no real end product - County forwards need to score and both never were profilic enough to be consistent starters.