Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

While it is always disappointing to lose to them uns, I thought we played well tonight and wouldn't be too concerned about the result. We had two strong goal chances in the first half and Mc Evoy did well both times although I would have preferred Laverty to take his chance himself. Eoin Mc Cartan hit two fine points, Carr was majestic from the dead ball while Mc Kernan scored the point of the half. Most of their scores seemed to come from frees and your man Stevenson just didn't miss. The injury and Vernon's miss seemed to affect them and we should have been more in front at the break.My main concern tonight was the slowness of management to spot that their sub Lavery was clearly running the legs of Kalum to win kick-outs in the third quarter and while KK put in another super shift he was always chasing Lavery - Mc Ardle still seems raw at this level and if Kalum can last the 70 I would keep him there.Ambrose, Poly and particularly Danny put in some work and while Coldrick had a fair enough game , he should have given Danny more protection from the Armagh Head Shots ( they are dirty actions and need early punishment). A few of our big players made the wrong decision in the last 15 minutes and that cost us the game- easy to blame O'Reilly but we had 4 chances to win.They had super performances from Stevenson, Rafferty and Donaghy but we played with heart and skill in a good game. Our destiny is still in our hands but our priority is Brewster Park and I think James is on the right track so keep er lit lads.

Crossman

Very disappointed with the result tonight,Down should have had Armagh well beaten,but if you constantly keep giving away cheap stupid frees,sooner or later your gona pay the penalty!!some awful defending again from the usual suspects.....

Mourne Rover

It was a reasonable performance by Down in most respects, but it proved that the intensity we displayed against Dublin is not something which can be simply turned on or off. While we took a while to respond when they predictably cranked it up in the third quarter, we had more than enough chances in the closing stages to get a draw or even sneak ahead.

Hopefully we will learn from the experience, but the disappointing aspect is that a defeat away to Laois will leave us in enormous danger of slipping to a dispiriting relegattion. Of course, success in Portlaoise would leave us on the brink of a league semi final so there is all to play for.

McVeigh had another fine game, was solid under the dropping ball and his kick-outs were decent. The defence switched around in the course of the match, but big Dan was excellent at full back, struggled a little when he was pulled out to the wings but really looked the part at centre half. He got an outstanding point when pushing up, but  his careless pick from the ground on a heavily sanded pitch from a brilliiant Laverty pass deprived us of a crucial score. Funnily enough, he did exactly the same thing from another Laverty pass against Armagh in the second division final of 2010 at Croke Park.

Daniel McCartan struggled a little with high balls but otherwise looked confident and used the ball well. Brannigan was comfortable in the first half but his passing let himself down in the second and he might have been replaced earlier.

Garvey generally looked the part when he moved to full back, and the foot block call for the penalty appeared harsh without the assistance of a tv replay. McParland is a genuine prospect, and apart from a couple of lapses of concentration put in his third impressive game in the space of six days.

McKernan, as he often does, mixed the brilliant and the careless. His point was a classic, but his pass straight to an Armagh defender late on when we had options all over the place was pretty dreadful.

King was brilliant in the second quarter, but the Armagh switches at the break targeted him and apart from one great catch he was off the pace until he was replaced. Ambrose had exceptional moments and a thrilling second half point but is possibly trying too hard and on a couple of occasions in possession ran for gaps which were not there when an early ball was very much on. However, he is getting there and he was inches away from a brilliant goal.

The half forwards were our best line, and Carr's free-taking has reached a very high level. He also contributed strongly from play and is playing with considerable confidence. Hughes is top class, and was the victim of a series of cynical fouls which should have produced several yellow cards.but the perfectly fair tackle when he was dispossessed by Mallon was a big moment. Poland is getting better and better and did not deserve to be on the losing side.

Maginn gives us great balance and workrate, and his replacement was questionable although fresh legs were probably needed. Eoin McCartan kicked two fine points, although he will know that, despite a brave save, he should have had a decisive goal. Laverty's ability to find space is amazing, and if he could only shoot from distance he would be the complete footballer.

None of our substitutions worked particularly well, although you would have to feel sorry for O'Reilly over the first couple of dodgy passes he received. His late miss was unfortunate and can be put down to inexperience.

Benny looked lively and springing him from the bench continues to be a reasonable option. Quinn is capable and will improve but should learn from his yellow card, while McArdle did not really get on the ball but has potential.

Leo

Mourne Rover, if you keep reporting like this we won't have to go to the  matches....
Fierce tame altogether

charlieTully

Quote from: Crossman on March 25, 2012, 12:17:31 AM
Very disappointed with the result tonight,Down should have had Armagh well beaten,but if you constantly keep giving away cheap stupid frees,sooner or later your gona pay the penalty!!some awful defending again from the usual suspects.....

1-8 given away from stupid fouls.

western exile

Scoring 16 points and still losing brings back memories of All-Irelandfinal of 2010.  However, last nights game was very winnable.
Most annoying for me were the 2 occasions in the first half where the referee awarded a free to Armagh  and then moved the ball forward 13+ metres into a scoring position which Stephenson converted. Even through those frees might have been questionable the Down players must learn not  to question them.
The best team lost, so it not all bad. There is work to be done but hope for a good summer yet

Square Ball

Bredagh 3-3 to 0-2 up v Dromara a ht
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Bredagh won 4-10 to 0-4 against Dromara in a very sunny Cherryvale
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

general

Glenn 0.11 - Saul 1.11

A very wasteful performance from glenn who were 0.4 to nil after 7 mins. All the same a good result for a fighting saul team. Both sides ended with 14, saul for a
Stamp and glenn for 2nd yellow. Saul also had a penalty saved just before half-time

Very disapointing day, im going to enjoy a bbq and 12 beers

DownFanatic

Division 4
St Pauls 1-06  Dundrum 1-17

Our first game back in Division 4 since 2005. Good to start off campaign with a win.

dundrumite

ACFL Div 3 GLENN 0-11 V 1-11 SAUL; BOSCO 0-15 V 1-7 DRUMANESS; ATTICALL 2-3 V 1-5 DARRAGH CROSS; TULLYLISH 5-20 V 2-15 ARDGLASS

bcarrier

Quote from: Leo on March 25, 2012, 08:14:05 AM
Mourne Rover, if you keep reporting like this we won't have to go to the  matches....

Cant get to most of them myself but saw last night on setanta. Very Good Report.

whitegoodman

A lot more positivity on here than I would have thought, I came out of the athletic grounds very deflated.  Armagh were very understrength and if we were ever going to improve our dreadful record down there it should have been last night.  The intensity and demenor wasnt even close to the previous wk.

McVeigh was decent, had no chance for the penalty and has got more variation in his kickouts.
McCartan struggled in the first 20 but kept his mand quiet after that.
Gordon has had better days, not suited to the smaller, nippier forwards.
Never really noticed brannigan or his man much, not suited to a player who is playing out the field as he isnt the greatest on the ball.
Big effort from McParland to play 3 games in 6 days. Decent if unspectacular.
Garvey was average as he has been all year.  Keep him out of the full back line please.
McKernan was poor both defensively and going forward apart from one great point.
King put in a big 50 mins but was tiring and was rightly replaced imo.
Rodgers tried hard, kicked a great 45 and a great one from play.  One his way back.
Danny put in a huge effort, took some heavy hits and kicked a couple of great points.  Needs to give the ball quicker at times.
Poland had a great 2nd half, great ball player, very intelligent.
Carr had a decent game from play and was very reliable from frees which is a bonus.
McGinn imo was poor, offers no scoring threat, works hard but so could anyone.  Maybe Im not seeing something that James and others are.
McCartan kicked 2 great points and was unlucky with goal chance, better than previous games.
Lavery is a lot of huff and puff.  For all of his good work is there enough scores out of him for a corner forward.  Id love to know what he scored thus far in the league.  Maybe somebody could prove me wrong but I dont think it would be that much.

Apart from Coulter the subs didnt really work.

My biggest concern is the lack of options and threat up front.  Ben O Reilly may have potential but are people telling me he is a better option than murtagh in there?? Will James swallow his pride and bring him back in if he performs for the harps in the first few league games?? Is mccumisky anywhere near ready??  We could do with him in 2 wks.

Finally would I be right in saying that the much maligned POR outsmarted and outwitted James and co last night.  The armagh forwards seemed to get an awful lot more space than the down forwards!!!

charlieTully

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 25, 2012, 10:16:02 PM
A lot more positivity on here than I would have thought, I came out of the athletic grounds very deflated.  Armagh were very understrength and if we were ever going to improve our dreadful record down there it should have been last night.  The intensity and demenor wasnt even close to the previous wk.

McVeigh was decent, had no chance for the penalty and has got more variation in his kickouts.
McCartan struggled in the first 20 but kept his mand quiet after that.
Gordon has had better days, not suited to the smaller, nippier forwards.
Never really noticed brannigan or his man much, not suited to a player who is playing out the field as he isnt the greatest on the ball.
Big effort from McParland to play 3 games in 6 days. Decent if unspectacular.

Garvey was average as he has been all year.  Keep him out of the full back line please.
McKernan was poor both defensively and going forward apart from one great point.
King put in a big 50 mins but was tiring and was rightly replaced imo.
Rodgers tried hard, kicked a great 45 and a great one from play.  One his way back.
Danny put in a huge effort, took some heavy hits and kicked a couple of great points.  Needs to give the ball quicker at times.
Poland had a great 2nd half, great ball player, very intelligent.
Carr had a decent game from play and was very reliable from frees which is a bonus.
McGinn imo was poor, offers no scoring threat, works hard but so could anyone.  Maybe Im not seeing something that James and others are.
McCartan kicked 2 great points and was unlucky with goal chance, better than previous games.
Lavery is a lot of huff and puff.  For all of his good work is there enough scores out of him for a corner forward.  Id love to know what he scored thus far in the league.  Maybe somebody could prove me wrong but I dont think it would be that much.

Apart from Coulter the subs didnt really work.

My biggest concern is the lack of options and threat up front.  Ben O Reilly may have potential but are people telling me he is a better option than murtagh in there?? Will James swallow his pride and bring him back in if he performs for the harps in the first few league games?? Is mccumisky anywhere near ready??  We could do with him in 2 wks.

Finally would I be right in saying that the much maligned POR outsmarted and outwitted James and co last night.  The armagh forwards seemed to get an awful lot more space than the down forwards!!!

his name is Conor Laverty, LAVERTY, its not that hard to get right.

whitegoodman

It's a good job ur here r we would never get by.......... ::)