Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba2

Quote from: EagleLord on February 21, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
Quote from: alba2 on February 21, 2012, 09:53:02 AM
The under 21s took a serious hammering at the weekend from Armagh.  Is this the best we have to offer at that age group or were there players missing apart form mayobridge players who were on club duty the next day???

Was that in the championship??

No just a challenge game - but it was a very worrying display from the next crop of players to don the red and black jersey...

EagleLord

Quote from: alba2 on February 21, 2012, 01:28:10 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on February 21, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
Quote from: alba2 on February 21, 2012, 09:53:02 AM
The under 21s took a serious hammering at the weekend from Armagh.  Is this the best we have to offer at that age group or were there players missing apart form mayobridge players who were on club duty the next day???

Was that in the championship??

No just a challenge game - but it was a very worrying display from the next crop of players to don the red and black jersey...

When is the U21 championship then? I know nothing about it this year, seems to be fairly low on the radar compared to previous years, maybe its because this team isnt as good as the last few years?

alba2

Under 21s play on March 21 against Antrim.  I would like to think they will beat the saffrons - but going on the display at the weekend - i fear for that happening too.

supersub

Any idea of team that played? Or best players in panel etc?

Mourne Rover

The equivalent Down minor side from three years ago got to an AI semi and, apart from conceding two poor goals, could even have made the final, so it would be surprising if we have completely fallen apart at u21 level.

The team which lost to Mayo at Croke Park was;  J Deeny; R Doran, S McNamee, D O'Hanlon; K McClorey, C McClean, F McEvoy (0-1) ; K Quinn, N McParland; C Clarke, R White, C Mooney (0-3) ; D McKibben, R McGarry (0-5, 2f, 1 '45) , M Bagnall. Subs -R O'Hare for Bagnall (39), M Haughey for Clarke (41), P Quinn for McKibben (45), K Maguire for Deeny (54).

Mooney is of course in Melbourne and a huge loss by any standards, but most of the rest are still around. The Mayobridge players, particularly Quinn, would not have been involved in the friendly against Armagh. McParland is in our National League squad, McKibben started in the McKenna Cup and Clarke is heading for the Sigerson with UUJ, so there are some decent prospects there. O'Hanlon, McGarry and Bagnall also had strong potential, so we shoud not just be there to make up the numbers.

alba2

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 21, 2012, 03:03:56 PM
The equivalent Down minor side from three years ago got to an AI semi and, apart from conceding two poor goals, could even have made the final, so it would be surprising if we have completely fallen apart at u21 level.

The team which lost to Mayo at Croke Park was;  J Deeny; R Doran, S McNamee, D O'Hanlon; K McClorey, C McClean, F McEvoy (0-1) ; K Quinn, N McParland; C Clarke, R White, C Mooney (0-3) ; D McKibben, R McGarry (0-5, 2f, 1 '45) , M Bagnall. Subs -R O'Hare for Bagnall (39), M Haughey for Clarke (41), P Quinn for McKibben (45), K Maguire for Deeny (54).

Mooney is of course in Melbourne and a huge loss by any standards, but most of the rest are still around. The Mayobridge players, particularly Quinn, would not have been involved in the friendly against Armagh. McParland is in our National League squad, McKibben started in the McKenna Cup and Clarke is heading for the Sigerson with UUJ, so there are some decent prospects there. O'Hanlon, McGarry and Bagnall also had strong potential, so we shoud not just be there to make up the numbers.

Most of the team from other night was - j deeny, Chrissy Magee, Gerard Mc Govern, David Mc Entee, Dara O'Hanlon, ???, ??? N Mc Parland, ??? Ross Mc Garry, Chris Clarke, Matty Bagnall, Danny Savage, Madine, Donal O'Hare

R Doran aint even playing club football at the minute after a fall out with Glasdrumman, Mc namee, Mc Clorey and Quinn will be additions - especially the latter two as will Gough and Mc Kibbin.  But i dont know if there is much else out there.. Ryan O'Hare came on - but imo he has gone back something serious.  Seems to have bit of a head about himself and has forgotten what made him a feared opponent.  Dara O'Hanlon was skinned the other day by a wee lad rafferty from the armagh senior panel, Bagnall didnt count against a more physical opponent, nor did mc parland in midfield.  David Mc Entee was cleaned out by another armagh senior player.  But who knows with the extras to come back into contention - maybe we will be fine.

snoopdog

lads this is just a query  as i havent lived in the county for 18 years but still go to most of the county games. What is the overall standard of coaching like in the county.  we seem to have to go outside county for coaches for the county panel. i know cork was a disaster but they looked like they had never played together before or had even the ability to read the game.

onefaircounty

Wouldn't say it's Down problems, more Armagh strengths. It is an exceptional Armagh team, one of th best forward lines we've ever had at an underage team.

DaisyCutter

Must I remember the Kilcoo Seniors beat this Armagh U21 team by 18 points around the start of December 2011 minus their County players, so they couldn't be that hot or is it just a case of them of the Down U21s being weak this year??

PAULD123

The under 21 championship is treated shamefully. It is at he wrong time in terms of player development and team development. The best players are training with the county and only come in late to the team. There is limited time for training and as such the teams often don't start to function well as a unit until later in the championship. Which basically means they have to hope to stumble through a few stages before perhaps getting it right and clicking. At this stage one team could be a couple of weeks ahead of another and effectively it is an enormous amount. Basically from one week to the next there could be a big change in a team's performance.

With the organisation and timing being what it is it would make much more sense to play it is a champions league style format with two groups and the group toppers playing in the final. That would reduce the possibility of losing a good team that only are suffering due to lack of cohesiveness for the sake a bit more time.

Armagh may or may not be significantly better than Down, Down may or may not be any use. But what I will say is that this Down U21 panel has lots of talent. There are boys there who have been there and done it for St Colman's, Been to Minor All-Ireland semi-final, Are playing with the county seniors and University first teams. But can that talent all be brought together as a functional unit is a very short time frame - That's a bigger question.

amallon

The Mayobridge match is being shown live on Destination Newry on Sunday from half 2.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

onefaircounty

Quote from: DaisyCutter on February 23, 2012, 01:20:17 AM
Must I remember the Kilcoo Seniors beat this Armagh U21 team by 18 points around the start of December 2011 minus their County players, so they couldn't be that hot or is it just a case of them of the Down U21s being weak this year??

I'd wager a guess and say a lot of our first teasers did not play that night.  They are very hot, trust me.

DownFanatic

Quote from: onefaircounty on February 24, 2012, 09:29:30 PM

I'd wager a guess and say a lot of our first teasers did not play that night.  They are very hot, trust me.

;D

GAA_Talk

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 24, 2012, 09:57:50 PM

;D

+1

dundrumite

Quote from: GAA_Talk on February 25, 2012, 09:12:30 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 24, 2012, 09:57:50 PM

;D

+1

Jersey tugger?