Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

I just hope expectations on Ambrose dont reach ridiculous levels.
I for one am just happy that he will take to the field again and get some game time in what is still a long road to recovery after an injury ravaged 3 years. Similarlily with Doyle i think its a bonus these guys are togging out and playing again.
Looks like the Dan experiment at wing forward as a third midfield option will continue for another game.
Three big men spread across the field as options for kickouts with Turley earmarked for the more defensive role id assume.
James is trying things and thats all ye can really expect at this time of year.

PAULD123

The team above tells me two things.

Firstly James is sticking to a trial system. He wants to play a extra tall man in teh forwards to boost midfield. He wants to play fast running full forwards playing of a hit-man.

The second thing is that he has selected a small number of players that he wants to give a chance to make teh National League squad. Miskelly, Quinn, the Turleys and Niall Brannigan are all being given their chance (I'm sure Brady will play as a sub)

So while James is experimenting, it isn't experimenting just for the sake of it, he has identified exactly the options he wishes to explore. I say fair play to him

Mourne Rover

After a couple of late changes, the Down starting 15 in Clones is -
M McAllister,
N McParland,
D McCartan,
D Turley,
K Quinn,
K Duffin,
M Doran,
P Turley,
A Rogers (capt),
C Gough,
A Carr,
D Gordon,
M Miskelly,
K King,
B Coulter.

western exile

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 15, 2012, 02:00:48 PM
After a couple of late changes, the Down starting 15 in Clones is -
M McAllister,
N McParland,
D McCartan,
D Turley,
K Quinn,
K Duffin,
M Doran,
P Turley,
A Rogers (capt),
C Gough,
A Carr,
D Gordon,
M Miskelly,
K King,
B Coulter.
Big enough men from 8 to 15, many of whom with midfield experience.

Mourne Rover

Half time in Clones and it could hardly be going any better for us. Down lead by 3-6 to 0-3, and the excellent comentary via downgaa.net suggests we should be even further in front. Big King, who as far as I can recall, has never previously scored for Down, has got two goals, and came within inches of a hat-trick, with Dan knocking in the other one. Ambrose is popping up everywhere, and has kicked a point, and we appear to be dominating all over the field. It's only the McKenna Cup, but the signs are very encouraging so far.

Mourne Rover

FT from Clones, Monaghan 0-11 Down 4-12. The best line from the commentator on downgaa.net came when he described a catch by big King on the edge of the square - `he riz like a phoenix.'

Mid Down Gael

Just back from Clones where Down played well against a Monaghan side who had a nightmare first half. We dominated in all areas for 55 minutes and eased of in the last 15. Dan Gordan gave a man of the match performance scoring 1-1 and fielding superbly. Kalum King gave Darren Hughes endless problems in the first half while we also had top displays from Benny, Carr, Duffin, Miskelly and Kieth Quinn.

Leo

Two MOM performances in a row  from Dan in midfield.
How tiresome now are my posts about the folly of shifting him to full back?
He has his mojo back and we can go places.
Fierce tame altogether

ardtole

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 15, 2012, 06:08:43 PM
Just back from Clones where Down played well against a Monaghan side who had a nightmare first half. We dominated in all areas for 55 minutes and eased of in the last 15. Dan Gordan gave a man of the match performance scoring 1-1 and fielding superbly. Kalum King gave Darren Hughes endless problems in the first half while we also had top displays from Benny, Carr, Duffin, Miskelly and Kieth Quinn.
Thats a fair compliment to king I would rate Darren Hughes as an excellent footballer. Probably monaghans best player at present.

whitegoodman

Difficult to gauge how much has been learned against 2 substandard oufits in the last 2 wks.  Monaghan were equally as bad as Armagh were last wk.

Dan had a great game out the field and it would be a great luxury to be able to afford to play him and Ambrose at wing forward but that may not be the case as todays midfield could possibly struggle against stronger opposition and one of them are likely to be needed at 8 or 9.

Dans performances out the field is likely to mean him staying away from FB which leads to the question of who will replace him there.  It looks like Dan McCartan is going to start the national league in that position but questions will remain as to whether he is up to the job there.

Kalum Kings performance today against a serious FB would suggest he could be a long term option at FF, he is very difficult to handle and would at the very least be an option in there if we are in trouble with 15 or 20 to go.

Players like Quinn and Miskelly have performed well to date but tougher tests will lie ahead and that is when we will see if the new boys are at the requierd level.

Problems still reman at FB and CHB imo and we havnt yet solved them.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Leo on January 15, 2012, 06:38:13 PM

he wasn't playing midfield today, he was hf. but I agree that he shouldn't be moved back into full back line... Good few options for defence still to come back into the team.. rooney, garvey, o'hagan, mc kernan, g mc cartan, hanna and fingers crossed d. rafferty. Id like to see garvey given a run at no.3, great footballer, very strong, reasonable quick and good under the high ball.... i know he would be a big loss from the half back line but there is plenty of cover for there.....

ardtole

I would also like to see Garvey tested at full back. A couple of years ago I thought he was too raw and gave away too many frees but his performance against declan osullivan that same year impressed me greatly. I am at a disadvantage in that I do not see many div 1 or 2 games but from what ive seen since its a position I think Garvey could make his own.

Mid Down Gael

Down team and scorers today.
M McAllister, K Quinn, D McCartan, D Turley, N McParland, K Duffin, M Doran, P Turley, A Rogers 0-1, C Gough 0-1, A Carr, D Gordan 1-1, M Miskelly 0-3, K King 2-0 and B Coulter 1-3.
Subs: A McConnville 0-2 for B Coulter, J McAreavy for A Rogers, C Brannigan for Miskelly, K Anderson for P Turley and D Hughes for K Duffin.

Leo

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 15, 2012, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: Leo on January 15, 2012, 06:38:13 PM

he wasn't playing midfield today, he was hf. but I agree that he shouldn't be moved back into full back line... Good few options for defence still to come back into the team.. rooney, garvey, o'hagan, mc kernan, g mc cartan, hanna and fingers crossed d. rafferty. Id like to see garvey given a run at no.3, great footballer, very strong, reasonable quick and good under the high ball.... i know he would be a big loss from the half back line but there is plenty of cover for there.....

Well he certainly wans,t playing FB.
Regardlessof jersey number he basically bossed midfield again.
Fierce tame altogether

snoopdog

Anyone know date for semi final. I assume we will be playing Derry barring a disaster against St Marys.
Prob a Casement venue, or do they toss for it.