Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

real food, real people

Kilclief had a bad day at the office yesterday, it happens. although think they have more than enough on their plate getting the rest of their league fixtures out of the way!

weebob

burren have always stayed in div1 so has kilcoo since been promoted the bridge came form div4 to div1 in Mickey lindens time dont know if they ever dropped back , but Burren have never dropped and would have the longest status in div 1

Leonardo

clonduff were relegated in mid 90's

DownFanatic

Our terrible record in the Ulster IFC and JFC continued at the weekend with Kilclief getting slaughtered and Bredagh being beat by a point. None of our teams have ever been able to make an impact at these grades.

umpire

In this year Rostrevor's top scorers list.
Goalkeeper Jonathhan Parr is his club leading goalscorer joiintly with Anthony Donnan !   
He also 3rd place in points tally with 4.16 !!

alba2

why are the county back training so much at the minute....  its a long year ahead for some lads... Clonduff and rostrevor lads are just literally finished their season on friday last week and are straight into training this week.... where is the break for lads like these??? I know its only weights and that - but mentally the lads need a break.....

Down Mad

Read in the Irish News today that Conor Gough has been asked to join the County for training. That is a bit of a coup especially when he has played minor for Armagh. I don't think the Armagh county board will sit back and let that happen!

DownFanatic

Quote from: Down Mad on November 02, 2011, 02:50:49 PM
Read in the Irish News today that Conor Gough has been asked to join the County for training. That is a bit of a coup especially when he has played minor for Armagh. I don't think the Armagh county board will sit back and let that happen!

If I remember rightly was there not some stipulation when he transferred from Lissumon to Shamrocks that he still had to play his county football with Armagh?

fitzroyalty

I may be wrong but I think in order to play for Down (at minor anyway) that you have to live in the parish of the club you play for. (?)

AFAIK Gough lives out the road between Poyntzpass and Newry, in Co Armagh so he was able to play for Armagh but not Down.

I base this on a friend of mine a few years back who played youth football for an Armagh club but didn't want to play minor for Armagh, so moved to his parish club across the border in Co Down in order to play with Down minors.

thewobbler

When you sign an intercounty transfer form, you indicate which county you would like to represent (even if it's a junior b transfer).

Changing which county you represent should be a formality, as long as you can prove your link to the new county (living in it, originally from it, playing for a club in it). After all, who can really object in these instance? It's not a parish-level political exercise for the GAA.

PAULD123

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 02, 2011, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: Down Mad on November 02, 2011, 02:50:49 PM

If I remember rightly was there not some stipulation when he transferred from Lissumon to Shamrocks that he still had to play his county football with Armagh?

How could that be the case? It isn't as if transfers can be undone. You can't say to him, "you have not honoured the agreement so now you have to go back to play for Lissumon". Any conditions would have be fulfilled before the transfer paper is signed, after that he can do what he likes. Perhaps the deal was that he would play for Armagh last year?

Anyway, it will be good to have him with us, I would expect he will be used to improve the U21 panel which although short of Coalan Mooney and Shay McCartan, should be one of the strongest we have had in many years. 2009 was a very successful year, this group would have the same potential I feel.

DaisyCutter

Johnny Parr has had a great year for Rostrevor, Pity about the bad stroke of luck he had, which in-tern relegated his team from Division 1. I understand he has been called up to the County Senior set up with Bernard Connell from Drumgath getting another go at it.

Concerning Conor Gough, I would say the Armagh County board will be doing their best to get him playing in the Orange jersey once again.

NP 76

Hope to see Gough in red and black will be a good one would rather have him than to be playing against him in a few years

knockitdown

Quote from: DaisyCutter on November 03, 2011, 06:05:26 PM
Johnny Parr has had a great year for Rostrevor, Pity about the bad stroke of luck he had, which in-tern relegated his team from Division 1. I understand he has been called up to the County Senior set up with Bernard Connell from Drumgath getting another go at it.

Concerning Conor Gough, I would say the Armagh County board will be doing their best to get him playing in the Orange jersey once again.

any others invited that werent on last years panal?

John Martin

Any updates on the division 2 relegation match?