Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridge fan

Quote from: bcarrier on October 15, 2011, 08:35:01 PM
You cant beat breeding, Remarkable how many sons of 80s team on this Burren side. Hope they can kick on now.

i wouldn't say there was to many since the transfer window opened in burren  ;) ;)

Dubh driocht

No-one should begrudge Burren their win- they destroyed Clonduff for the last 29 minutes.They hunt in packs, led by Mc Kernan, and retain their composure under pressure. Mc Conville's goal, straight from the throw-in at the start of the second half, was a clinker , but Clonduff just didn't have the fire-power to push on.Mc Cartan was on for the last 10- caught a great ball to set up a goal.
Bridge fan, all the top men for Burren were sons of their das- maybe hard for you to take, but true.

Kilclief showed that hunger wins tight championship games- some big names for Ballymartin just didn't turn up- fair play to the Ben Dearg men.

The floodlights added something to it for me. The 66 page programme was a super effort and having seen all 4 finals, County Board deserve credit for the organisation.

Milltown Row2

Wasn't in favour of night games when they first came out but I think they bring a different atmosphere to Championship games now.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MK

well done St. Marys-12th title in 30 years

Frank Dawson due all credit however-to end burrens barren spell is one thing,to win 2 in a row is a credit to the man!

Also credit due to Kilclief -now a senior club-congratulations!!

pauly2

Quote from: MK on October 16, 2011, 12:52:24 AM

Frank Dawson due all credit however-to end burrens barren spell is one thing,to win 2 in a row is a credit to the man!

Was it really anything to do with Frank Dawson though.  He inherited a team that had just won 4 county u21 titles and one ulster club title. it was always gonna happen for burren - think homer simpson could have managed them to the championship to be honest.....

supersub

Quote from: pauly2 on October 16, 2011, 01:14:16 AM
Quote from: MK on October 16, 2011, 12:52:24 AM

Was it really anything to do with Frank Dawson though.  He inherited a team that had just won 4 county u21 titles and one ulster club title. it was always gonna happen for burren - think homer simpson could have managed them to the championship to be honest.....

+1

It doesn't matter who is managing this current group of players, their attitude and determination to succeed is second to none!

Mid Down Gael

I disagree. Although there was obvious talent coming through in Burren, Frank came in after 3 years of failure from Damian Barton and made these Burren players believe in themselves and got their best 15 on the pitch. He didnt stay loyal to older lads, he took his chance with young lads and they have done the business winning back to back titles. Last nights first 15 where all under 24 years old, apart from Dan McCartan (29), Ciaran McGovern (28) and James McGovern (26).
I no if we had a Frank Dawson in charge of us we would have fared better in the last two championships, very positive manager and is tactically aware in making changes and setting up his team formation.
On the game itself last night, Burren where the far supperior team throughout and Clonduff never looked up to winning it. They where disapointing and never reached the same level of performance that they produced against us.
Kevin McKernan deservedly won the man of the match award, class act. Another who ran him close imo was player of the champoinship Donal OHare.
Congratulations to Burren, best of luck in Ulster.

Burrens team and scorers: 1 C Murdock 0-1, 2 Ryan McGovern, 3 Dan McCartan, 4 David McEntee 5 Gerard McCartan, 6 Ciaran McGovern, 7 Kevin McKernan 0-2, 8 Conor Toner, 9 Anton McArdle 0-1, 10 Conal McGovern 0-1, 11 Sean Murdock 1-0 12 Eamon Toner, 13 Donal OHare 1-5, 14 James McGovern 0-3, 15 Shea McArdle 0-1. Subs Used: Eoin McCartan, Paudie Poland, Pauric ORourke, Ciaran Byrne and Alan Higgins.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dundrumite on October 15, 2011, 10:36:28 PM
Did eoin mc cartan get any game time today?

He got 15 minutes at the end.

here comes 6

Is that the end of ASK in the senior championship?    Or maybe they could become ARD and the D could b Drumaness??

dundrumite

Quote from: here comes 6 on October 16, 2011, 10:00:07 AM
Is that the end of ASK in the senior championship?    Or maybe they could become ARD and the D could b Drumaness??
Drumaness are now division 3 so don't think be allowed. Shows the difference in standard that our intermediate champions plus the pick of two other sides still a notch or two below in Down terms a middle of the run senior side.

DownFanatic

St Johns beat Dundrum by a point in a crunch Division 3 game this afternoon in Drumnaquoile.

ardtole

Quote from: dundrumite on October 16, 2011, 11:19:35 AM
Drumaness are now division 3 so don't think be allowed. Shows the difference in standard that our intermediate champions plus the pick of two other sides still a notch or two below in Down terms a middle of the run senior side.

I think it has to be two division 3 teams and a division 4 team. Bright could join Ardglass and Saul but I doubt it would happen. If Carryduff dont get promoted the strongest combination I can think of would be Bredagh, Carryduff and Darragh Cross. There is a signifigant gap between senior and intermediate but I think that North Down combination would be the strongest.

weebob

Quote from: bridge fan on October 15, 2011, 11:00:32 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on October 15, 2011, 08:35:01 PM
You cant beat breeding, Remarkable how many sons of 80s team on this Burren side. Hope they can kick on now.
[/qu

i wouldn't say there was to many since the transfer window opened in burren  ;) ;) only the bridge got kevin o rourke  transfered BURREN WOULD OF BEAT THEM BY 11 POINTS INSTEAD OFF 3 . GLASS HOUSES BRIDGEFAN  . CONGRATS LADS YOUS DID THE CLUB PROUD  :-*   
GOOD LUCK IN ULSTER

LeoMc

Quote from: ardtole on October 16, 2011, 04:37:09 PM

I think it has to be two division 3 teams and a division 4 team. Bright could join Ardglass and Saul but I doubt it would happen. If Carryduff dont get promoted the strongest combination I can think of would be Bredagh, Carryduff and Darragh Cross. There is a signifigant gap between senior and intermediate but I think that North Down combination would be the strongest.

Is that like regional amalgamations in the Senior championship as in Kerry?

DownFanatic

Quote from: LeoMc on October 16, 2011, 06:17:01 PM
Quote from: ardtole on October 16, 2011, 04:37:09 PM

Is that like regional amalgamations in the Senior championship as in Kerry?

This year an amalgamated team consisting of Kilclief, Ardglass and Saul entered the Down SFC. All three are geographically beside each other with Kilclief and Ardglass in Division 3 of the Down Leagues and Saul in Division 4. Kilclief and Ardglass also played in the Intermediate Championship with Kilclief winning it and Saul played in the Junior Championship.

The amalgamation were defeated in the preliminary round of the Down SFC by Longstone who pulled up with something to spare. Longstone went on to make little impression in the SFC.