Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Anyone else not a fan of having the county final on a Saturday night?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: amallon on October 12, 2011, 09:05:24 AM
Anyone else not a fan of having the county final on a Saturday night?

Dont like it one bit. Not a fan of playing under lights also, county final on a Sunday has always been the way and i think it shouldnt be changed. Half of the Down championship was played under lights this year.

whitegoodman

Dont like it either, think its hard on the players as well, waiting around all day can be difficult when you know whats coming that night.

On another note has anyone else heard that Jamie O'Reilly is home as was posted on the main thread.  Dont remember that much of him before he went to Oz, would I be right in saying he is the same type of player as Maginn, ie a ball winning half foward.  Could be a big help if he is with Marty away we could be short in the half foward line.

DownFanatic

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 12, 2011, 01:10:53 PM
Dont like it either, think its hard on the players as well, waiting around all day can be difficult when you know whats coming that night.

On another note has anyone else heard that Jamie O'Reilly is home as was posted on the main thread.  Dont remember that much of him before he went to Oz, would I be right in saying he is the same type of player as Maginn, ie a ball winning half foward.  Could be a big help if he is with Marty away we could be short in the half foward line.

Was always in and around Minor and U-21 squads. Great ball runner and he's bulked up since returning from Oz. Played for the Island aganst RGU on Sunday.

A welcome boost for Down GAA as Jamie O'Reilly returns home from AFL side Richmond Tigers.

The Mourne County have been hamstrung by the double departure to Oz Rules of Marty Clarke and Caolan Mooney but O'Reilly - who played senior football for Down in 2009 - has given James McCartan a fillip by returning to challenge for a place in the county team.

The Loughinisland clubman broke off preliminary contract discussions with the Tigers to return to finish his business Degree at Queen's University.

Former Down U21 O'Reilly lined out in a club game for Loughinisland last weekend. He played as a running defender in Australia and his scorching pace would be a big addition to the Mourne County senior set-up.

outinfront

Bredagh play Drumaness in the playoff this weekend.
I also see there is a match scheduled between the Fin and Aghaderg, is there a particular reason for this fixture going ahead and no others?

EagleLord

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 12, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

I wouldn't liken the two players at all tbh. Maginn is a man that wins break balls and sprays passes. Jamie is a ball carrier. His stride and sheer pace with the ball was almost unstoppable. He was quicker with the ball than without. Having said that, he has bulked up i am sure, so would be interesting what kind of game he has now.

redandblackareback

Personally I feel lights creates a better atmosphere, I dont know why but it just seems to do! The 5 o clock throw in time for Ballymartin v Kilclief is a crazy time for a game in Newry on a saturday, traffic will be ridiculous going in, would it not have been better to have that game as a double header with Bredagh v Dromara last week in Newcastle??? Surely would have attracted a bigger crowd?

centre 3/4s

Lads anyone fancy taking a stab at the team of this years down championship

flog the lot

Hi

Newry girl was picked to be a finalist in the sundayworld bride of the year competition
she has a chance of winning wedding package worth £10,000

To vote for her please Text BRIDE3 to 81108 from a northern/UK mobile (UNFORTUNATLY CAN'T TXT FROM SOUTHERN PHONE)

Lines close midnight Wednesday 13th of October. Texts cost £0.50 per entry inclu VAT.

COULD YOU PLEASE VOTE FOR HER................................
AND PASS THE MESSAGE ON IF YOU CAN

THANKS!!

ardtole

Interesting derby game in div 3 between St Johns and Dundrum at the weekend. Impossible to call, St Johns beat Carryduff in the IFC and Dundrum are the most unpredictable team in the county. Both teams are running out of games in order to escape from the relegation zone and if St Johns win it will likely be these 2 teams competing in the relegation playoff.

dundrumite

Ardtole when ardglass had their full quota of players fresh for games what was your record approximately?

ardtole

I doubt we played a single game this year with a full strength team, when you get off to such a bad start to the season as we did its hard to get players to train and show interest. Philly Gill has come home from London recently and has made a huge difference to our defence, he was playing wing back for Tir Connail Gaels for the best part of 2 seasons so he a stand out player in div 3. If you were looking at our season from outside it looks disasterous but we have brought quite a few young players through and they are really starting to find their feet. Christian Connor, Shane Teggart, Owen and Ryan Curran, David Pullen and John Polly have featured strongly this year and are improving week after week. I expect us to avoid the relegation play-offs and compete a lot stronger next year.
I actually think Div 3 is quite poor this year, maybe the effects of emmigration on all the teams as a whole is telling but compared to 5 years ago I think Glassdrumman, Atticall, Carryduff, Ardglass, Dundrum and  Darragh Cross were all a lot stronger a few years ago

DownFanatic

Quote from: ardtole on October 12, 2011, 08:02:30 PM
Interesting derby game in div 3 between St Johns and Dundrum at the weekend. Impossible to call, St Johns beat Carryduff in the IFC and Dundrum are the most unpredictable team in the county. Both teams are running out of games in order to escape from the relegation zone and if St Johns win it will likely be these 2 teams competing in the relegation playoff.

Ardtole, St Johns beat Glasdrumman in the IFC 1st round. It was Dundrum who beat Carryduff after a replay.

If we can beat St Johns and beat yourselves by more than 3 points and you's only pick up one win out of your last four games then we will avoid the playoffs and it will be yourselves and St Johns in them. That's a massive 'IF' though.

Ive always said it: If Ardglass didn't have soccer dominating the village scene then they would be a comfortable mid table Division 2 team who would be challenging for Intermediate Championships on a regular basis.

ardtole

We were in the playoffs for promotion 5 years out of 7, 4 under Peter O'Shea and once under Kyran Smyth. We should have came out on top against Banbridge one year, we hit the post in last minute and were beat by a point, drew with Carryduff another year when we were well on top, beat by a point against Glenn another year, we had a good few battles with Darragh Cross at the start of that period as well. A few hard luck stories but you could argue you make your own luck. Anyway we have a new team now, which I think is coming together bit by bit, I think we will do enough to stay clear of relegation and we could be a stronger proposition next year. Tomorrow nights game against Tullylish will give us an idea of any signs of improvement.

Square Ball

Quote from: outinfront on October 12, 2011, 02:10:31 PM
Bredagh play Drumaness in the playoff this weekend.
I also see there is a match scheduled between the Fin and Aghaderg, is there a particular reason for this fixture going ahead and no others?

OIF, thats the biggie for us, and IMHO more important than the JFC. we need the competitive nature of div 3 football to improve as a team, so fingers crossed we will be out of div 4 come Saturday evening.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid