Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I think Adam King from Saul would be worth a go, he played very well against longstone for lecale earlier in the year. Conor Poland I think may feature more this year. Ive seen him play a few times now and he always seemed to have a wee bit of class about him.

dundrumite

Quote from: ardtole on October 04, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
I think Adam King from Saul would be worth a go, he played very well against longstone for lecale earlier in the year. Conor Poland I think may feature more this year. Ive seen him play a few times now and he always seemed to have a wee bit of class about him.
He is a great player Ardtole but will be turning 28 this season I think too late in the day for that.for yourselves I always thought Stephen Deegan at least deserved a trial in yesteryear

ardtole

I didnt realise Adam King was anywhere near 28, he's a very tough competitor. You are right about Stevie Deegans though, considering Down were struggling for a full back for the best part of 10 years he should have been given a chance. In his prime he stood out a mile in div 3 and always looked like it was too easy for him. Ive no doubts whatsoever he was good enough to play county football, especially when you consider some of the players who lined out in the full back line under paddy and ross

PAULD123

Fitness is  a major issue, players in division 3 can look very fit but then they step up to inter county level and it is apparent how far they have to go. There is a big enough gap from Division 1 fitness to county level but at least it can be bridged by most in a year. For lower divisions the gap is really big. There are a few who are at that level by always being involved with the county such as McComiskey who has been training for a county side since he was about 16. But to ask a guy in his mid to late twenties to step up is asking a lot. Of course there may be an exception out there but it is hard to see anyone of this age group, who may otherwise have enough natural talent, but has not been regularly training with the county being able to make the step up.

When We Win

Just looking at the tables there. there is a few interesting games this weekend. Winners of Loughlinisland v Downpatrick guaranteed a play-off with Liam Doyle and co sneaking the other spot.

Div 1 relegation going right down to the wire.

Carryduff v Darragh Cross the big crunch game in div 3 promotion.

i will be waiting patiently by the computer to see the outcomes.

NedFlanders

Quote from: When We Win on October 05, 2011, 04:53:23 PM
Just looking at the tables there. there is a few interesting games this weekend. Winners of Loughlinisland v Downpatrick guaranteed a play-off with Liam Doyle and co sneaking the other spot.

Another arm chair supporter - typical

SHEEDY

draw for the 2012 ulster championship have just been made and surely we'll never have a better chance of getting to an ulster final. first up for down is an away trip to fermanagh and the winners will play monaghan or antrim, with donegal, derry, armagh and tyrone in the other half of the draw.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 06, 2011, 08:45:02 PM
draw for the 2012 ulster championship have just been made and surely we'll never have a better chance of getting to an ulster final. first up for down is an away trip to fermanagh and the winners will play monaghan or antrim, with donegal, derry, armagh and tyrone in the other half of the draw.

What an opportunity to win the anglo celt for the first time since 1994. Down should be able to get over Fermanagh and i would fully expect them to beat the winners of Monaghan/Antrim. Then one massive performance in the Ulster final would be required against a team that will have came though 2/3 tough encounters. An Ulster title would do wonders for the team, Just look at Donegal the year.

Square Ball

yeah I will be intrigued with those results as well
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Rover

It's been a tough few months for the Down senior team, taking into account disappointing championship results and the loss through injury and unavailability of key players, so we were due a bit of a lift. We certainly got it through the USC draw, which could hardly have been more favourable. Of course, on our last championship trip to Enniskillen in 09, we were deservedly beaten. If we survive this time, we have either Monaghan - who won at Newry in our last USC tie in 07 - or Antrim, who looked at though they would beat us at Casement for a prolonged period this summer. It's also the case that the last time we lifted the Anglo-Celt all of 16 years ago, it was not through the perceived easy side of the draw but via an away game against the AI champions in the first round. However, if we are serious about pushing forward, we have been handed a considerable incentive.

When We Win

Quote from: NedFlanders on October 06, 2011, 12:18:38 AM

Another arm chair supporter - typical

What makes an arm chair supporter Ned. Is it someone who has other committements on Saturday and cant attend some matches which does not involve their local club? If so then yes I am and will sit comfortably in my sofa waiting on the results coming through. I suppose you intend to make a dash around all the games collecting the results directly from the ref even though majority of the aforementioned games are on at the same time? Good luck with that one. Personally i will wait until sunday to watch the local Carryduff v Darragh Cross game. I expect you to be in your arm chair for that one.

whitegoodman

Great draw for down.  We go back to Fermanagh with the memories of that debacle of a few years ago but we are in a very different place from there and should win pulling up.  Monaghan who I expect will beat Antrim will be a tough test but if we have improved at all over the last 3 years we should be hoping for a win.  A first Ulster final in 9 years would then await and you just dont know what can happen from there.

thewobbler

Every year for two decades (apart from a the first round Tyrone games in the early noughties) I've looked at the draw and saw a clear Down path to the final. I'm not falling into the trap this time. Fermanagh will probably dig Darren Carson out of wherever he went to, and he'll put in another MOTM performance.

EagleLord

As long as we don't get a repeat of our last Ulster final appearance. The replay I mean. Was embarrassing to be honest.

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on October 07, 2011, 01:17:02 PM
Every year for two decades (apart from a the first round Tyrone games in the early noughties) I've looked at the draw and saw a clear Down path to the final. I'm not falling into the trap this time. Fermanagh will probably dig Darren Carson out of wherever he went to, and he'll put in another MOTM performance.

If we cant beat Fermanagh we may quit.